Good luck today @Precious40!! xx
@Summer CFC really sounds the cheapest, quickest option all round. When I decided to use DE I planned to give EDA a really good go but if I didn't find a donor relatively quickly then CFC was my plan B. I know of some recipients who wanted a known donor but ended up going to CFC and writing a letter to their future child about their decisions and why they went with an anonymous donor
I didn't have a three month cooling off period, that must be certain clinics is it?
I think I'd be looking into the SA option if I was you Luv. If you're still keen to do one final OE Cycle, then do it and if your friend hasn't committed by the end of you completing the Cycle, then I'd forget about that idea and get the wheels in motion for SA.
You can use this time to get the $ together(either way you go, you're going to need it), get the ball rolling on SA (make contact and register with whichever agency/Clinic, start looking at donor profiles, flights, accommodation etc) so that one way or another you're ready to take the next step almost immediately as I totally understand that you don't want to have to wait any longer than neccessary
Of course, I'm and sending prayers that after all your preparation you'll end up getting a BFFP either naturally or on you next OE Cycle and that will be that!!!
@Summer Did you put the CT costs to DH? Let's think about $30k. I'm guessing Julie's costs were about $20k because she had DH and holiday costs. That leaves $10k which allows for about 3 FETs. So for $30k at CFC you'd get about 1 x fresh transfer and 3 x frozen transfers.
If I had to do a fresh donor cycle, and this is very very much just me personally. I would have my egg donor donate her eggs, fertilise, grow to day 5, then have PGS done, frozen, get the results...then fly over for a FET. The success rates with fresh (60-65%) vs frozen (50-55%) are not vastly different.
The girls who have become pregnant with a fresh transfer would say this (PGS) is over kill but after having repeated unsuccessful cycles this is the way I'd chose to go in the future.
Also, you haven't consulted with Dr M re your very painful miscarriages yet have you? I'd start that process now so you can be getting all the testing underway, results back and treatment well under way before your ED starts cycling. But again, that's just me...with hindsight!!
I chose a donor as soon as I started looking and she was available straight away so my timeline to transfer was very short. Maybe 7 weeks? Of course it depends where your donor is in her cycle and how long it takes for her initial testing to come back before she can start her donor cycle.
I think there's been a few of us who have the CT cycle lined up and ready to go as we were doing our 'final' OE cycle. I know you've been feeling particularly down lately so maybe all the CT planning would help lift your spirits and give you renewed hope.
Would DH be excited about planning a CT holiday? You could give him this part of the planning to organise so you feel like it's a joint project...Easter holiday perhaps??
Please sing out if I can help in any way!
Last edited by Tahli; 08-01-2016 at 07:50.
I think QFG are worse than most IMO and if it wasn't for Wazza being affiliated with them, I would've told them to shove it where the sun don't shine and gone elsewhere after my 3rd Cycle.
Summer, yes all up it was somewhere around $18,000 from memory for two of us but we didn't try to go on the cheap. And its only around $3000 to go back for your FET. If your donor friend comes good, what are the costs in Aus to do the cycle?
Considering you want to be pregnant yesterday (dont we all) then my advice would be to get straight onto the SA bandwagon. When I was deciding if I could do DE it came down to statistics and money. My cycles were setting me back around $3500 oop for a success rate under 5% when I was 42. If you are pushing 45 then your success rates must be around 1%? So unless money is no object, if you weigh that up against the cost of another cycle and the months you will lose then it will help you make the decision imo. Sorry for being a downer but the odds were what concreted it for me. At that stage I had roughly as much chance of falling pregnant naturally each month as doing an OE cycle so I quit. Another thing I will add again is that from the day I decided on a donor we were going to CT 8 weeks later. I can't recommend it highly enough (obviously).
I think you wanted a known donor though, didn't you, so that makes it a bit harder...
@Summer can you have a couple of options on the go whilst you are preparing for your OE cycle? Put an ad up on EDA and see what happens, if nothing happens in time for when the CT or other option is ready to go then just remove the ad. You've got a few months before you would be ready for someone so it might just work out that you can do it all here and save yourself a good 10-20k?
the cost thing is ridiculous, we've spent nothing in comparison to others but still a lot when you look at those who breeze through all this naturally. grrr
@Precious40 good luck today with BT !!
@Summer It's food for thought isn't it...$18k, a holiday and two embryos safely tucked up inside you with a 60-65% success rate in as little as 8 weeks....or a $5k OE cycle with a 1% chance of success. But only you know when your OE journey is over. Good luck with your decision hun.
PS: Because it was just me going over to CT & I didn't do a holiday and just stayed in a nice BnB my initial costs were about $13.5k.
Last edited by Tahli; 08-01-2016 at 08:01.
Pregnant for the first-time?
Not sure where to start? We can help!
Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!