+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Apply for a new Job or Stay??

Hi,

I have a casual job that I absolutely hate. I hate the job itself, I don't like the people I work for - it's just not a good fit.

I've been applying for other jobs (permanent full and part time), however I've recently found out that I'm expecting a baby in August 2016.

My question is, do I stay in my current job until bubs is born and then apply for permanent positions once I'm ready to enter the work force, or do I continue applying for jobs as they come up?

How fair would it be on a new Employer considering my pregnancy?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hailsntwang View Post
    Hi,

I have a casual job that I absolutely hate. I hate the job itself, I don't like the people I work for - it's just not a good fit.

I've been applying for other jobs (permanent full and part time), however I've recently found out that I'm expecting a baby in August 2016.

My question is, do I stay in my current job until bubs is born and then apply for permanent positions once I'm ready to enter the work force, or do I continue applying for jobs as they come up?

How fair would it be on a new Employer considering my pregnancy?

Thanks
    Do you intend to go back to work after bubs is born? I would be applying for new jobs and hoping to get something permanent it will make coming back into the work force a lot easier

3. The Following User Says Thank You to azelqra For This Useful Post:

hailsntwang  (15-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I definitely plan on re-entering the work force after bubs is born (not too sure how long I will stay at home initially though).

I think i'm more worried about the guilt factor - If i'm successful in gaining new Employment and then turn around and go "oh yeah - by the way i'm pregnant and need 6 months off as of July".

I'm still in two minds about it - so confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hmmm i have been in a similar situation and it's tricky. I'm guessing August means you're not very far along, so it's not too late to change IMO. With my first pregnancy we moved interstate when I was about 16 weeks (? Or so) and I took a contract position but didn't tell them I was Preg. You don't have to (depending on your line of work though). It was teaching position that finished end of term (when I was 32 weeks).

If you can find something relatively soon, and don't have major pregnancy symptoms ie morning sickness etc, I would probably change. And tell them before you begin to obviously show (usually after about 20 weeks, you can often hide it before then).

Right now I hate my job but don't intend going back. So sticking it out and hoping they make me redundant while I am on maternity leave!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would stay in the current job so I can call in sick all the time. Don't hate on me hubbers I'm being honest! New job means having to ask for time off for appointments. Old job is use and abuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would stay so i could access PPL. You can always find a new job when you are ready to go back once baby is born

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you get a new job you won't get the maternity leave or guarantee on the job being there for you when you get back. I vote stay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can get PPL if you change jobs, just as long as you meet the work test for the past 13 months? I think if you've been with your employer less than 12 months centrelink makes the payments instead of the employer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would still apply. Whilst they have no legal obligation to hold your job, they may and getting bs k into the workforce after kids is hard.
    As its early you can pretend gig fudge know lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can get PPL if you change jobs, just as long as you meet the work test for the past 13 months? I think if you've been with your employer less than 12 months centrelink makes the payments instead of the employer.
    This. With PPL you can have had 10 different employers during the past 12 months. Changing jobs has no effect on eligibility.