+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have not been to Kmart for a while so have not seen their new set up but Myer and DJ ,s have always had checkouts in the middle of the shop, I'm assuming it's because you have to walk past more merchandise to check out ? my SIL used to be a product placement manager at Woolies and they specifically place certain things in certain places to make you shop more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our new one has all the checkouts in the middle. I don't mind the location, it means you pretty much walk round the whole store before you get to the checkout, but they have ONE manned checkout with the rest being self service
    The self serve checkouts are squeezed so close together it's a complete nightmare when theres multiple people buying bulky goods with shopping trolleys full of kids (I am one of them!).
    Then you have to call over the ONE staff member when the item you buy is too big to fit on the scales so the stupid checkout beeps at you like you're trying to steal something!
    Really not well thought out Kmart.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Kmart's new checkout arrangement - thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    It is a VERY stupid set up. I don't line up to show my receipt. I just walk out the door. If the security person wants to follow me that's fine.. I'll whip out my receipt but I refuse to line up twice. I actually don't get the practicality of it because the reality is to return stuff you also have to walk through the store. It'd be so easy just to bring back a receipt grab the thing off the shelf and get a "refund" for it.
    But that's the whole point of them doing it! To make hard for people to avoid walking through the whole store! Same reason supermarkets puts milk and basic bread towards the back of the store. The cynic in me strongly suspects the new setup has everything to do with increasing profits (by making customers walk past more merchandise, whether they are returning an item or just buying something) and zero to do with neatness or efficiency or customer satisfaction.
    People will get used to it, will make more unnecessary purchases of cheap, poor quality products, and Kmart will laugh all the way to the bank.
    Did I mention I was a cynic?!
    Last edited by TreeGirl; 16-12-2015 at 09:21.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

babybeanie  (18-12-2015),Moxy  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Local one has changed to checkouts in the middle its ridiculous. Things are regularly just moved around to different places again no warning so i often just give up and leave and go to target where things don't continuously move

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It would be a nightmare on a busy shopping day...queues in the middle of the store?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a bit silly and find it frustrating. I'm in wa and there's a few around me that have been the new layout for some time now. I was actually in 1 yesterday, lined up for a while at the checkout then lined up for much the same time frame to get out of the store as the staff memeber ran through every item on every receipt for people leaving the store. I also don't like the customer service desk being stuck at the very back of the stores - that's not helping me any more!

Then again, I am not a shopping lover. I want to get in and out with the least amount of stuffing around possible

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think a lot of these places are really going to have to completely re-think how they treat their customers, when the only real reason to go into a physical shop these days is for customer service. If it's easier to go home and order something online, people will do that. Kmart, Myer et al don't even have much of their range available online, so if they don't provide an amazing in-store customer service experience they will lose customers to online stores with a much bigger range.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (16-12-2015),MissMuppet  (16-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a fan. My local KMart has had the new layout for most of this year.

The checkouts are rarely manned, the self service checkouts keep on beeping at me telling me I haven't bagged the item (when I have) and I get harassed for bag searches on my way out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just another reason to shop online.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I like it. It could make people spend more...as they are walking out they spot something they want. Haha! Almost did that the other day. We have never had to line up to exit either.
    My sister had to go back 3 times cause she kept finding things she liked on her way out 😂

I haven't been to a shop that has this new set up yet but I tend to use self services where ever possible 😊