+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What is a dietitian & a nutritionist?

Hi all, I'm not sure who to see for my girl. She's losing weight & not eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    How old? Our paed referred is to a dietician for feeding issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    How old? Our paed referred is to a dietician for feeding issues.
    18months old. She turns away to everything.

My paed or dr don't see an issue, but I do. I have to get new ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I'd see someone else. My daughter is super fussy and doesn't eat much. Dietician is happy with her though as she eats from all food groups (even if it's limited).

I found I was getting way too stressed any my anxiety was through the roof. I have let a lot go now. At the end of the day, my daughter is still growing (even if it's very slowly) and I can't force feed her.

How much weight and over what time period has she lost it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Here's a link explaining the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian. It's to do with the qualifications and therefore the professional advice they can give.

http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/na...itian-which-me

Personally, if you need to see someone for diet related issues due to medical reasons, I would see a dietitian.

Best wishes!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (15-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    sometimes you just need to tell your doctor what you want.

Find a dietician in your area that you would like to take your daughter, ring and make an appointment, then go to your GP and say "I've made an appointment to see this dietician on this date, please write me a referral".

It's what I had to do when my son was having ear issues and nobody seemed to care. I found an ENT, rang and booked him in, and THEN went to GP and said "I need a referral to this ENT please I've already booked an appointment, thank you".

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this has been an on going issue for you. Perhaps work backwards and when you find a good dietitian you could ask them if they know of any good GPs who are knowledgeable in the issues your little one is having. Good luck. X

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is a dietitian & a nutritionist?

Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I know this has been an on going issue for you. Perhaps work backwards and when you find a good dietitian you could ask them if they know of any good GPs who are knowledgeable in the issues your little one is having. Good luck. X
    That's a good idea! OP, if you are seeing a dietitian privately you often don't need a referral (well that's my experience anyway) so this could be the way to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    sometimes you just need to tell your doctor what you want.

Find a dietician in your area that you would like to take your daughter, ring and make an appointment, then go to your GP and say "I've made an appointment to see this dietician on this date, please write me a referral".

It's what I had to do when my son was having ear issues and nobody seemed to care. I found an ENT, rang and booked him in, and THEN went to GP and said "I need a referral to this ENT please I've already booked an appointment, thank you".
    I can't can't a dietitian that bulk bills here. So I'm coughing up $155.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you know if there is a feeding clinic as part of your local hospital / child health service? My DS was refusing food for quite some time and having the input of a dietician, speech pathologist and occupational therapist was really helpful as it was a combination of things impacting on his eating rather than just the type of food. Maybe your child health nurse has some info about whether this is an option? (This was who suggested it to us, the gp and paed weren't helpful).