+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christmas V's leaving gift for daycare staff

My DD has been gong to DC 1 day a week, and will leave at the end of Jan to start her school journey. Is it reasonable to only give one gift to her carers? Or should I do Christmas and farewell?

Last year we had the same 3 people all year and I got them awesome gifts, but I'm finding it hard as the turnover has been high this year and currently there are 2 new people (one has been there 3 weeks, the other 1) and one girl who has been there 6 months. There is also another girl who was in her room for a few months and is now in the toddler room. So I feel I don't really know them that well to even know what to get!

I'm thinking of maybe just taking some home made treats in on her last day before the Christmas break, and doing presents at the end of Jan. But is that scummy?
    Last edited by Californication; 14-12-2015 at 11:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No it's not. Most parents don't do anything at all so I'm sure whatever you decide will be wonderful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    TBH daycare staff get so many gifts and they don't really expect any. Our centre leader once told me the best gift they can get is a personal message from the child - or parent if the child is young, saying something specific the staff member did for them that year that they really appreciated. This in a nice card, you could bring in some baking if you want a tangible gift but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. It's not like they're going to sit down and say, oh last year's gift was soo much better..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

happyfrog  (14-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would do the Christmas gift and then in Jan bring along some baking and a nice homemade farewell card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. Yesterday didn't go as planned, so didn't get a chance to go shopping and haven't done any baking either. Ball. Dropped.

So I'm going to buy some wine and chocolates to share and then do individual presents when she leaves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my dd left (around Christmas time after 5 years at the centre) I got the carers magnets each and dd wrote her name on the back. I also got a cake and a children's book (we wrote a message inside the cover) so all the kids in her room could enjoy her last day!

I think chocolates and wine is a good option for Christmas!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Christmas V's leaving gift for daycare staff

The cake book is a good idea. They do a lot of baking there. I am planning on getting a fruit tree as a thank you to the owner as well. They have spent a lot of time cultivating a veggie garden to teach the kids, so I thought I could get an apple tree or similar for them. I know it won't fruit for a few years, but thought it would be a nice idea as the owner is lovely, and they have been amazing with both kids. And I'll get something small for the admin lady too.

We've been so busy the end of the year has snuck up on me. I've only just done DS's teachers gifts today to give tomorrow! And I haven't done much Christmas shopping for my kids either. Eeeekkkkk! Going to have to find someone to have them for an hour next week so I can get stuff. So disorganised! We had everyone here last year so I planned everything and had lists everywhere! This year it's just us at home and I think I'm a wee bit too relaxed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think one gift is lovely. Either at Christmas or in January.