+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question Working and after school activities - how do you do it!?

Question time! Those who work, do your children do after school activities? If so, how do you manage it?

With the after school stuff DD and DS1 do (and no doubt DS2 and DS3 in a years to come), I'm starting to wonder if it's still going to be doable next year when I'm on prac placements for Uni, and therefore working 9am-5pm, 5 days a week? At this rate I'm going to have to look for a nanny who can ferry my kids to their activities!

How does it work in your family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following. I'm looking at returning to work next year and not sure how to juggle everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have weekend activities, and our afternoon activities we tend to pick later classes over early classes. Some things we just have to say no to because it simply doesn't work. We are lucky that my DH runs his own business and can arrange his days so that he can be available to take the kids to their activities when I can't. Sometimes we get lucky and can strike an arrangement with other parents from school if their kid is in the same activity.
    It's a challenge...without DH's flexibility and help from others we would be hiring a nanny...which many parents at our kids school do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I honestly think that is the road we're going to have to take, @Full House.

DH is a shift worker, so there are going to be *some* days where it's not an issue, but mostly it's going to be tricky. Most of the activities offered around here are done after school, with the exception of sports games which are on weekends (though the training is still after school).

DD's squad swim is 6-7pm which isn't so bad, and her Nippers is on Sunday mornings. But next year DS1's gymnastics times have changed and will be 3:30-5pm, which is going to be almost impossible without the help of a nanny as I have no one else to call on to help out family/school Mum wise. And dropping out of the activities just isn't an option.

*sigh* I wonder how expensive a nanny is...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Working and after school activities - how do you do it!?

I manage it a few ways.

We have a nanny so she takes the kids while I stay home with the others (she works on my working days but i work school hours so am home after school).

If I can't do it on one of her days I try and share the load with other parents whose child is doing the same activity. DD1 plays a lot of team sports and we can usually coordinate at least getting her there or back with another parent.

If all else fails I suck it up and we all go.

Honesty it's one of the reasons my kids now go to a private school. With 4 kids the after school juggle was driving me insane so now a lot of what they do or will do can be coordinated through school.

DD2 is starting squad gym next year too and it's 330 to 5. She knows we can't sit around and wait so I'll drop her there straight from school then take all the kids back to pick her up. Dinner will be an easy one those nights. I'm worried how my son will cope as he's starting preprimary and will be tired. But he's pretty amenable and that's life in a large family.
    Last edited by Sonja; 14-12-2015 at 13:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only work the 630am-3pm shift. I decline the 2pm-1030 shift for this very reason.

I have NO idea what I would do if I worked 9-5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've managed a few ways:

1. If they have a friend doing the same activity, I organise a carpool, typically with me offering to drive kids home if someone will take mine there.

2. I have a certain amount of flexibility with my work hours and have been able to negotiate early finishes on the days the kids have something on.

3. Not an extracurricular activity as such, but at one stage I had a child in therapy during school hours and I was able to work from home on those days, and work around appointment times. I just had to make sure I got my hours up.

4. Have grandparents as backups.

5. My highschoolers can now catch public transport and get themselves there if necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, we both work full time- generally, the earliest we get home is 530, and for me, its usually much later. Our boys do one night of soccer training- my husband leaves work early to get them there, or we occasionally rely on a friend. The games are on Sat morning, and they all do swimming lessons on a Saturday. Other activities, such as music (band and tuition) are within school hours. DD is going to start dancing soon, and I will be looking for a Sat class for her. that's all we can manage at the moment. on weekends, we split up to get to different activities and sometimes call in grandparents for assistance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I only work the 630am-3pm shift. I decline the 2pm-1030 shift for this very reason.

I have NO idea what I would do if I worked 9-5.

I'm planning on doing something similar once DD starts school in 4 years time. If I get the opportunity to go permanent part-time at work, I'll see if I can possibly do the 8:00 am to 2:00 pm shift Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. DH can take her to school those days, and finishing at 2:00 pm, I'll be able to pick her up afterwards and take her to any after school activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Arghh..This is the bane of my current existence. I'm a fairly recently separated mum of 3 and until then was more SAHM than worked (worked couple days a week). My children love sport and have always participated in after school activities. As they get older they practice at a higher level which means more training, and more involvement for parents. Obviously they want to continue, but to support their activities (and feed them lol) I need to work more, which in turn means I can't get them there...it's a vicious circle. I rely heavily on other team mates parents, which I hate. I have also had to massively reduce my own sporting - community involvement. No real answer for you, but I feel your pain!!!