+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jump on trip advisor and go to the forums and where u want to go and ask questions on there. You will be amazed at the help u get from past travellers and locals. I went to nyc by myself in 2011 all booked thru recommendations from trip advisor. I learnt best times to go see things how to avoid big queues etc. highly highly recommend

Thanks
    Reviews
    V Australia great airline to fly Brisbane to LA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by teenie View Post
    Hey there. We always book our overseas travel ourselves. I won't lie, it's a big job but it literally saves thousands of dollars (it's the reason we can afford to travel).

First port of call for us is flights. It's tedious work but I just research all airline options online and keep a list of dates/times/costs and work an itinerary from that. Once that's all locked in then I move onto accommodation. Again, all online research. It's really time consuming, but you can find some cracker deals. Trip advisor is really helpful in the process.

As for transfers, most of that we leave until we arrive unless we know it's going to be difficult to arrange. Ditto for tours etc.

You can always be sneaky and go to a travel agent, get a heap of brochures then look the info up online to book yourself.
    Ditto!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Learn to love Microsoft Excel! Once we've got our main flights sorted, I read travel guides and Google like crazy, using Excel to record info (eg train times and prices on different days, web addresses for booking etc) and use it to create a few different itineraries. It allows you to change things around and price up and compare various options.

It's a lot of work, but I prefer it to being at the mercy of a travel agent.

ETA Trip Advisor is a great resource! Best advice is to use it as a guide, though, rather than as gospel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    I dont drive so all flying/bus/train whatever way to get around. I am gonna bus from la to vegas just coz its cheaper and will see surrounding areas.
    Honestly I wouldn't bother.

It's desert, desert and more desert.

You can get a one way flight for under $100. Much quicker and more comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't bother.

It's desert, desert and more desert.

You can get a one way flight for under $100. Much quicker and more comfortable.
    Thanks. Thats helpful coz if thats how it is, would rather just fly then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    Thanks. Thats helpful coz if thats how it is, would rather just fly then.
    Yeps.
    1h45m flight vs 5-7 hour bus trip.

Plus you don't have to muck around with getting to the bus station from the airport as opposed to just changing terminals.

Can also easily fly San Francisco to LA or San Diego and then there's a train between LA and San Diego.

I'm another spreadsheet planner.

I start off with a calendar of when I'll be away and mark what days I want to spend in which city. Then I look at hotels and train/plane/buses between each place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just had my leave approved for 18 days off work. Now the official planning can begin. Woohoo

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    yep super easy to do it yourself - but do HEAPS of research

trip advisor forum and also fodors forum are fabulous ... ask heaps of questions, post your itinerary and people will help you.

have fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There's forum on the Lonely Planet website too ("The Thorn Tree Forum" ) which is really helpful.