+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default sleeping tablets and anxiety medication during pregnancy

Hi everyone,
    I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with number 3 and have hit a hole in my pregnancy. I have servere anxiety which causes insane insomnia, to the point I literally have no sleep for days on end because I'm so anxious. I am currently on lovan (fluoxetine) and Axit (mirtazapine) and have been for years, including throughout both previous pregnancies (of course on recommendation by my psychiatrist)
    I just can't function without them. I am so so scared and a crying mess, everything in my life just seems so bad ATM - I feel my partner has brought this last episode on cause he just constantly stresses me out.
    The last 2 nights I have had to resort to my back up supply of Valium to try and calm myself a little and I have had to take sleeping tablets (zopiclone) both nights just to get a bit of sleep. I know in an ideal world I would do everything I could first before resorting to taking these tablets but I am at desperate point and I don't want to end up back in hospital (was admitted to mental health ward last year for a week) that's how bad it gets
    i don't even know what in asking here, maybe if anyone has gone through similar things? I am so scared I am harming my baby by taking these few tablets but if I don't I am at the point of wanting to end it all....
    i habe 2 beautiful boys I need to look after and without sleep I cannot do that. I just cannot function without sleep. I am exhausted and I cannot stop crying.
    my psychiatrist is on holidays ATM and the next available app he has is in February as he is a very well known psychiatrist and I trust him with everything. He has basically saved my life.
    Ive been googling (silly me) about the risks of sleeping tablets and Valium during pregnancy in the second trimester and while it's not ideal to use them, if you cannot function with out then it should be ok, just not long term.
    Has anyone else used sleeping tablets or Valium during pregnancy and was your baby ok?!
    im so worried 😞😞😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I have used sleeping tablets in my last pregnancy (sorry don't remember what it was) and have been taking lexapro this pregnancy.

If you are in NSW call mothersafe (they can tell y I u all about the meds and pregnancy) and I know there is a dr you can call but ai don't know his name/details (but others on the hub do).

Basically you have to keep YOU healthy. And if that means some sleeping tablets and anxiety meds - then that's ok.

Hugs. Its hard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

MissMetal  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Call this number - you don't have to live in Victoria to get info. The name of the man escapes me but I've spoken to him about taking category D drugs in pregnancy and BF and he was absolutely wonderful. He is very knowledgable and I'm sure will be able to help you and put your mind at ease.

https://www.monashhealth.org/en/page...ation_centre_1

Take care of yourself

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

MissMetal  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Call this number - you don't have to live in Victoria to get info. The name of the man escapes me but I've spoken to him about taking category D drugs in pregnancy and BF and he was absolutely wonderful. He is very knowledgable and I'm sure will be able to help you and put your mind at ease.

https://www.monashhealth.org/en/page...ation_centre_1

Take care of yourself
    Yes this - and the man's name is Dr Rodney Whyte. He is happy to talk to members of the general public and is the guru in this area.

Does your psychiatrist have someone who can see you over the xmas break? S/he might have a fill in psych while they are away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Rodney is amazing, I've asked him a few questions.

I take Restavit for my morning sickness which is actually a sleeping pill, you can get it at the pharmacy without a prescription (although maybe have your husband grab it as without a prescription they can be funny with pregnant women, my husband would just stay he needed it for a flight, it's category A). There are also antidepressants that are safe to take in pregnancy, maybe speak to your GP as that will probably help your anxiety and then your sleep. I can sympathize, I have horrible anxiety and am pregnant and the restavit barely works for me in that sense since I take it so often. I was thinking of trying Epsom salt baths as apparently the magnesium really helps with restlessness and is safe in pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Similar, I took prescription Xanax (alprazolam) a few times for severe anxiety/distress a few times during pregnancy (and a couple while breastfeeding). I just read a few research papers (google scholar is your friend, not regular google!) and concluded for a rare, low dose, any risks are pretty minimal.
    My now 17 month old is fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies