+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Late enrolment for Kindy at this time of the year and waiting lists!

My little family and I just recently returned back to Aust after a short (2 years!) venture travelling overseas since DS was 3 years old. We thought we came back in such perfect timing just right before DS could start Kindy next year (he's 5 now), but we are now in a school hunt madness looking for a Catholic school that would accept him right away! Until recently I've only been considenring catholic schools for DS because we are a catholic family and I've gone hunting three or four catholic schools near our area and they told us they are full - I could still enrol, however they wouldn't know there would be spots available or not till Day 1 of school in case there are students dropping out. School#1 is a 5 mins bus ride away from our place and my younger siblings attended that school. I enquired back then and was told to fill in an application form but then when we met with the principal today, we were only just told that they are in fact full (why couldn't they tell me before hand?), but are still considering my applications because they'd like DS to be accepted into the school if there happens to be an empty spot in Jan 2016 (oh dear, what are the chances?). on a separate note, DS wasn't in his best mood this morning that his 'interview' with the principal went quite 'bad'.. DS ignored and avoided him most of the time . Do you think Principal-Kids interviews really matter?
    School #2 is just two long blocks behind our street, we're not so familiar with the school but school looks good and was also told to get an enrolment package and return it to the school and can only be put on a waiting list.

School#3 - have heard that they have two kindy classes but distance is ridiculously far! Have to catch bus from nearest station and takes more than 16mins trip to get there. DS will most likely be accompanied by his grandparents to school when he starts Kindy as I plan to go back to work full time!

Potential school#4 - a public school next to our street and I'm sure i'm in their zone catchment area! However being a catholic family, we have preferences to put DS in a catholic school.... so with only two days left of official school days before the long xmas break I have no schools for DS yet!

What's anyone's suggestions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know if it's the same everywhere but in our area of Perth it is notoriously hard to get into the Catholic primary schools. We are Catholic, our children were baptised soon after birth and were enrolled at only a few months old. However DD1 still missed out on our first preference school. Luckily I had her down at 3 schools so she got into her second preference.

They have guidelines on accepting enrolments and siblings have first preference and once they fill spots there aren't a lot of spaces left over.

I think the best thing you can do is plan to go to the local primary school, keep chasing up with the Catholic schools and hope for the best.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

bunnymum  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have been in similar situation. Personally I would put in enrolment forms at all your preferred schools. If he is going into Kindy, could you enrol him into kindy at the public school and then send him to Catholic school for prep onwards? Or look if there are any 'independent' kindys around like C&K etc?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

bunnymum  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SunnyBambino and SheWarrior for your replies. Although schools have preferences over students' siblings, etc but I find that there are way many young kindergarteners these days compared to (twenty some) years ago when my siblings and I attended primary schools and yet we still have the exact number of schools and same number of classrooms (1 kindy class per school?) with the number of child populations that are way much bigger than back then. I'm a bit taken a back with that fact! School#1 is more than welcome to let me join the school but they can't let DS in now because of the fact that they have reached their capacity... I've shared stories with them this morning how familiar I was with this school ever since my siblings went there (and I went to the high school next door) - I was trying to make connections lol . They told me that worse comes to worst, if the kindy is full in entire 2016, I can opt to go to another school (which I don' t know where yet?) then as soon as kindy's over they can accept DS for the following year, say year 1 in 2017. It's not about school#1 anymore, I just want DS to secure a place in 2016. I might try public school, but haven't got a green signal yet from DH. I'm off to School#2 now to get an enrolment package - I rang up the school before, they felt sympathetic, but they said they can't do anything yet because they are just full. I can always try they say - that's what i'm gonna do now.

Wish me luck . I think I'm gonna spend Christmas feeling if I don't have any schools yet

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good luck! You would be surprised how many people relocate over Xmas. With our previous school they were at capacity, and put dd1 on a wait list (keep in mind our kids aren't baptised and although I was raised Catholic neither of us follow a religion), about 2 weeks prior to school starting we got a call to say a place had opened up and dd1 could take it if we wanted. They told us so many people move and usually unexpectedly over the holidays (we were in that same situation at the time).

I'm sure it will all work out

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

bunnymum  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks SheWarrior. Just rang a public school and they still have spots left for Kindy 2016 (as I expected), feel secured now that I can find a school for DS no matter what happens and it's the closest one by distance compared to the other three catholic schools I've enquired and put me on the waiting lists! Distance wise that'd be great, but there's something missing from not being able to fulfill my expectations to educate DS in a catholic school, but anyway no matter which schools I send him to I believe DS will be in the good hands of the teachers.

Potential School#2 told me it'd be impossible to get a spot and the registrar even hesitated to hand me the application forms as it would be useless anyway, she said they just held a kindy orientation day and it looks like they're fixed with the number of kindy students for Jan 2016. Oh well.

As for school preference #1 - I have a feeling they'd probably accept DS as from my past experience seeing my siblings went to that school, many of the families were living outside that suburb hence I have a feeling they one day they may even give up going to School#1 and stick back to their local schools , but anyway I won't be able to find out till January which is too long for me to hold myself for not knowing! Unexpected things could happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What state are you in? We are in NSW and our public school has scripture lessons including Catholic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lil M, I'm in NSW too We should be fine with public schools if we don't hear anything back from the catholic schools. Maybe we can try put DS on a waiting list for Year 1 (the year after). We'll see how we go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im in nsw. In my area all the catholic school start the enrolment process in march and by july have offered places & taken deposits. Assume this is how jt is in the rest of the state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You're much better off going public and utilising the Catholic scripture classes.

Catholic schools have very big classes (between 32-35 kids in a class) NSW public schools kindergarten classes are capped at 20.