+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help- need to wean 22 month old off formula bottle

Ok, so Ive been a bit slack weaning my LO off the bottle. He is still on formula!!!! And I have a newborn due in less than 2 months.

I need to wean him off the bottle as I know they dnt need it after a year old. Reason I kept him on was because he kept getting sick when he started daycare at 11 months.

So how do I do it??? He sleeps well and doesn't need it overnight. He is at the age where his communication is really good so he asks for 'milk' during the day.He will take half cows milk, half formula but before bed at night him I give him straight formula.

Today I offered him his milk in a cup and made me put it back into his bottle.
    Some days he will only have two bottles, other days he will have 3... And....he has his day time bottle before he goes to have his nap

Sorry for long post. I'd really like to just get him off the bottle as I know they can start to get attached to their bottle as they get older then it's harder to wean off them

TIA

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is it the bottle you're concerned about or the formula? If you want to switch to milk just keep increasing the ratio of milk to formula until it's all milk.
    I got rid of bottles and dummies by introducing a sippy cup...and the bottle/dummy teats "mysteriously" became gradually damaged and couldn't be used - "uhoh all the bottles are old and broken now, we'll have to use the big boys cup". I used a pin to out a hole in the teat bottles aren't satisfying if they can't be sucked properly. With my DS it only took a couple days for him to accept there were no bottles...and because they were broken I couldn't cave!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was still having a bottle of formula before bed at night up until he was nearly 20 months. I wasn't in a hurry to stop it, but he got a mild tummy bug and the first symptom was he vomited immediately after his bottle one night. I tried offering it the next night, and he had less then half and pushed it away (still feeling unwell), so I took the chance and went cold turkey after that. I thought he might crack it as it was such a large part of our bedtime routine, so I changed things up a bit.. didn't bring him downstairs after his bath, read books and offered sips of water up in his room instead of the couch where we previously did books and bottle. It was different enough that he didn't even seem to notice he wasn't having the bottle anymore. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be.

Then again my DS doesn't talk yet, so he couldn't ask for it if he did actually want it, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My 22 month old still has 2 bottles of formula a day, a small one in the morning and a big one at night, it doesn't effect his sleep so I haven't been in a rush to get rid of them as the bedtime one is a nice wind down routine and keeps him still while I get him dressed! I also wanted to wait until after our most recent overseas trip so that I had them for comfort and to help his ears on the flight. Since we returned last week he hasn't been too interested in the morning bottle so I thought I'd start there, change it to a cup and then do the evening one in a week or two. There's a Nuk cup where the spout is kind of fat and soft like a bottle so I thought that may make the evening transition easier and still enable a bit of 'wind down' drinking. I think he's probably not going to care as much as I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 2.5-year-old girl has a bottle of cows' milk when she wakes up, and when she goes down for her day-sleep, and at night. She loves it, and it is a settling/soothing activity for her.

I think because she is my youngest, I am more relaxed about the dummy/bottle situation. I'm not in any rush, and am not bothered by "age limits", so to speak. She likes to drink her water from a sippy-cup, just like her big-brother! I figure she'll ditch the bottle when she's ready.

I breastfed her until 18-months (at which point I was diagnosed with breast cancer...but that's another story!), so I assume she is still comforted by the "sucking" process of a bottle.

If I were you, I'd ditch the formula, the main reason being less hassle; it's much cheaper and easier to pour milk from the fridge. And I wouldn't be too fussed about the bottle just yet.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My almost 2.5 year old still has a bottle. She's not keen on cows milk ( she drinks it at childcare but refuses at home) but recently when I couldn't get her formula, I switched her to powdered milk. She hated it at first, but has adjusted now. I worry about her still having bottles, but I'm not ready to battle with her to get rid of it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let him decide when he's done having bottles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a while ago but when my DS was that age he was still having a bed time bottle of cows milk. When he was ready we went to the shops and he picked a "cars" sippy cup and he tossed the bottles himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one. My ds1 is 2.5 and won't give up his bottle. Even more now that ds2 is here. He sees bubby having bottles so he wants them too. I've tried using sippy cups he refuses them. For awhile he was using the soft spout things for the avent bottles but then bub was born and he regressed.
    I want to get him out of bottles altogether. He has cows milk but always wants it in his bottles.
    He has one first up in the morning, one before nap time and one before bed. It's part of his routine. I'll keep trying with the sippy cups but i feel it's going to be a battle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly the same

Sent from my C6903 using The Bub Hub mobile app