+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Wrap or carrier for older babies?

I saw that target has a good deal on the ergo 360 and I'm tempted...

I currently use a hugabub for dd2 but wondering if i will need to switch to a carrier when she gets older or if she'd stay happy enough in the wrap? Is it something I really need?

With dd1 to deal with I need my hands free at the shops and find a stroller with a toddler in tow too difficult. I have a double stroller too but it's heavy and don't want to push it around the shops in small aisles.

Any advice welcome.

Eta: weight and size won't be an issue she will be a very petite child like dd1 and me
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 10-12-2015 at 16:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Stretchy wraps like HAB tend to get uncomfortable by around 3-6 months (depending on bub's weight), but as far as I know aren't less safe after that time (so long as you're doing a multi pass carry, which is standard for a stretchy). So it'd be fine to use for as long as you're comfortable.
    But even for a petite child, as she gets closer to one I think you'd be much more comfortable in a carrier or woven wrap. You can get good woven wraps for under $100 which you can use from newborn to toddler.
    Being able to babywear a toddler is great, gets them safely out of the way when you need to get things done, while simultaneously giving them hugs and attention. Win!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wrap or carrier for older babies?

You will find the hug a Bub will start to sag by the time bub is 5 or so kg. It's just the nature of a stretchy wrap like that. Great for newborns, not so much for bigger babies.
    You may find the ergo uncomfortable if you are petite, I am 158cm & found the straps too long/wide on my shoulders. Try to find one to try before you buy. Aren't they in the Target catalogue atm?
    Woven wraps are great, but I generally don't wrap if I'm out & about as I find all the fabric a pain, much prefer a soft structured carrier. It's a bit harder to pre-tie a woven wrap like you would a stretchy so you end up wrapping in the carpark etc.
    I would recommend a wrap conversion carrier like a Lenny Lamb, or a carrier that you can cross the straps in eg: Lillebaby, Manduca.
    Also the Ergo can be very hot in summer. Wrap conversions are much cooler/lighter!
    ETA I am borrowing a Lenny Lamb toddler size right now & it was perfect to contain my 18 month old in the Christmas shop so she wouldn't destroy the place!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I found with my kids, as pp have said, the stretchies were wonderful until about 6 months but beyond that they started to sag and I'd have to keep re-wrapping so I used an Ergo that I borrowed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an ergo and I love to use it with my 10 week old bub (using the infant insert). I love being hands free to get stuff done as my dd will not sleep in her bassinet during the day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sarahd80 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just stopped using the ergo for my DD2 (who is 10 months) and switched to my bubbamoe I used the moe when she was newborn and then ergo from 3 months now unless she is due for a sleep she isn't interested in the ergo, however I don't have a 360 so she is forced to face inwards. I'm not a huge pram user for quick trips and find quick trips are not quick if dd1 is walking unaided so would be really lost without my combo of moe and ergo

Just wanted to add that I used to have both a hug a Bub and ring sling and have since found the perfect combo (for me) so hope you find something that works it makes it so much easier to get out and about
    Last edited by Soon2be4; 10-12-2015 at 17:32.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally never found the ergo very comfortable and a while ago I bought the mini monkey carrier. It can be used outwards just like ergo 360 but it's just so much more comfortable to wear. I used to wear my baby for st least 3-4 hours a day. It's also more lightweight so easier to carry around and much cooler as you don't need th infant insert.
    One thing I also noticed was that because it has an extra strap around the mid back it really pulls baby's body into you which I think baby really enjoys and it feels nice and cosy. It also gives a really good seat whereas I found with the ergo the waist strap would sag at the front and baby would slip down.
    You can buy them in some baby shops so you can try first. They are also much cheaper than the ergo, I bought mine online for $90.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use my ergo with my 7kg 9wk old and can even pop my 19kg 3.5yo in it of I decide to.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post: