+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Opinion: do you have to wear a long gown to 'black tie' events

So 2 months ago I splashed out on an expensive cocktail dress for a wedding... I have only worn it once, it is knee length.

My DH just sprung his Xmas party invitation on me and it says 'black tie' as the dress code. Now I really don't want to run out and buy another floor length dress that chances are I will seldom wear again... Plus I am plus sized so limited to the shops I can go to and even if I had the inclination and the money... My only chance to go shopping is after the kids go to sleep tonight and I will be exhausted...

However I also don't want to be underdressed and embarrass my husband so I was just wanting advice... Can I get away with a nice knee length dress??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To me black tie is always full length dresses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you can. I just goggled black tie for women and this is the first pic to come up. ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1449724847.559896.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews

I've found the term black tie seems to have a pretty loose interpretation and seems to just mean formal attire. To me black tie means tuxes and floor length gowns but I've been to many "black tie" events and it's just suits and cocktail dresses.

What do you think others will wear to it? What is your dh wearing?

Eta I think a knee length dress would be perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 10-12-2015 at 15:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have been to a lot of balls and black tie events and whilst I have always worn longer dresses, it's not uncommon to see ladies in shorter dresses. Obviously it depends on the style of dress, but if you go knee length I would be teaming it with a pair of killer heels, lots of bling and a classy up-do.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Traditional interpretation of black tie would say floor length dress, cocktail dress or dressiest little black dress can all be appropriate.
    White tie would expect a floor length gown.
    Time of day and venue may help you decide. But honestly cocktail dress is fine

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (10-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you wore the dress to a wedding I definitely think it's suitable for a black tie event.

Me personally I dress to look good with DH. If he's wearing suit, jacket & tie definitely formal dress but if he's wearing dress shirt (& tie?) cocktail is fine!

Thanks
    Reviews

The black tie events I go to are usually very formal (men even wear bow ties) and therefore require a long dress but I would think generally an elegant cocktail dress would be fine for a black tie event as long as black tie means a suit and tie. I guess it depends on the workplace. A prestigious law firm or something might mean long dress and tux but maybe a bank or government department party might mean suit and cocktail dress ikywim. I do think it has to be at least knee length for black tie.