+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Playdates for older kids - what to do?

My DD has reached an age (10) where she wants to constantly have friends over. It always seems a bit awkward when they're here though. So I was wondering what kinds of things your late primary kids do when they have friends over? I have a box of goodies that I pull out if things seem to be reaching a lull (e.g. crafty things). Do you just leave them to it, or plan things? Do they watch much tv or play video games, or disappear into their room?

I can't really remember what I used to do at this age. I think we used to run around a lot and play outside, some boardgames, but I'm not sure. I can remember playdates when I was little, and hanging out with friends as a teen, but the in between years I draw a blank on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'll be honest I HATE play dates as the kids get to that age. I never know what they should do either. I love sending my 10 year old over to friends who have pools as that pretty much takes care of it (DD is a strong swimmer so I don't worry about that).

Yeah but when she has friends over they often seem to just roam around and "hang". They seem bored but swear they aren't. DD isn't into craft so that's not an option.

And yep the iPads do come out or the computer games. DD is a massive minecraft fan and so are a lot of her friends so they play that together. It's known that that's what's happening.

I always try and avoid them to be honest but with the long school holidays upon us I know it's going to happen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Might be a bit different for us because we're rural so my ten year old DD and her friend will go for a bike ride or a walk and take a few snacks and have picnic. We've got a pool as well so in the warmer months they have a swim.
    Sometimes they'll ask to do some baking or they'll go and muck around with hair and makeup and nail polish in her bedroom.
    They sometimes play on the PlayStation or watch a movie.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 10-12-2015 at 15:52.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'll be honest I HATE play dates as the kids get to that age. I never know what they should do either. I love sending my 10 year old over to friends who have pools as that pretty much takes care of it (DD is a strong swimmer so I don't worry about that).

Yeah but when she has friends over they often seem to just roam around and "hang". They seem bored but swear they aren't. DD isn't into craft so that's not an option.

And yep the iPads do come out or the computer games. DD is a massive minecraft fan and so are a lot of her friends so they play that together. It's known that that's what's happening.

I always try and avoid them to be honest but with the long school holidays upon us I know it's going to happen.
    Yes, that's exactly it - they seem bored but swear they aren't. I'm so glad its not just happening at my house.

I'm not a big computer games person but to be honest I would be quite happy for them to just sit and play video games all day if it kept them happy.

I've been surprised by how much work play dates are. I dread them, but force myself to do it for the sake of the kids.

MissKitty - the bike ride and picnic sounds wonderful. I'd love for them to be able to that. Its been a dream of mine to move out to an acreage or farm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 11 and they swim (in ours or friends pool), do craft, play xbox or the playstation, paint nails or play board games. Sometimes they will make biscuits or cupcakes. Most of all they talk!

That is about it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds' s are nearly 8 and 5 and have regular play overs. I encourage them to be outside playing and discourage ipads and the play station when friends are over but do allow it on occassions but time is limited. I don't provide crafty play as I think they do plenty of that at school. Generally the boys keep themselves entertained playing, climbing etc outside. We do have a large yard though so there's plenty of room for chasey, cricket and kicking the footy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD9 has her friend (9) over today, I took them over to a friends house for a swim. They've also made up their own language, played in cubbyhouse, did face painting on each other, jumped on trampoline with the garden hose Now Chilling out now on their technology things. But also they do art and craft, baking, board games, move daughters room around. Sometimes I take them out to local pool or give them $5 each and they can buy things from kmart, but no lollies. Their stationary is soo cheap and awesome !!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3Rreg For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Gosh I think as they get older it's easier! I don't provide any activities, just leave them to it, if they want to do something they come and ask. The boys tend to ride bikes, scooter, trampoline, go to the park, play mine craft or "make things" (like bow and arrows etc from sticks and string)
    The girls talk (a lot!), play dress ups, do nails/makeup, bake something, dance, listen to music etc.
    It's all self directed...I just provide food! Love when they have friends over...stops the "I'm boooored"!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015),PomPoms  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think I over think it as DD1 had a terrible play date once with a girl who didn't want to do ANYTHING. It was awful.

I don't usually allow technology but there are some really cool games they can only play with others and the girls will often go on video star and make movies together.

I discourage baking as with younger kids in our house it turns into a fight.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age we used to climb trees, jump on the trampoline, talk, go for walks, play board games or video games, build with Lego, watch movies or bake. Parents didn't organise anything, although we may have whines to them asking what we could do.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)