+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think this might be our last year of Santa 😥 (8 & 10 year old) and we have always given the "big" things from Santa and the "small" things from us. I kind of regret that now not because of comparisons with other kids about presents but more that Santa has got all the "glory" so to speak. If I had my time over I would have given the bigger gifts from us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a stocking that 'Santa' filled and everything else was from mum/dad/foster parents. Usually a couple of big items (bike, barbie camper van set etc.) and the relies would get me things like books, clothes, videos etc. one thing was always made clear was NO lollies were to be given for xmas. If we got lollies from someone they were put away to be rationed out later. Fruit was fine, there was usually a mango or some other yummy healthy treat sitting on top of the stocking, but zero lollies because there was already a mass amount of junk food at xmas already and lollies as a present were over the top

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    We've generally done the biggest thing from us. For example - this year we've got the boys a trampoline plus some smaller things they need (clothes, new lunchboxes).
    They asked Santa for a joker lego set so Santa has got them that as well as a few smaller items for their stockings (dvd, pj's etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never really had any opinion about what anyone else got for Xmas from Santa when I was little! We do it the same way my family did. Santa brings about 12 presents, including the big present and then she gets 4 from us (want, need, wear, read). I buy the same for hubby and he does so for me. :-) I couldn't care less what other people want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read - that's from Mummy & Daddy. Amongst that will be one big gift. Santa is bring a few small gifts. This year it's a bike, a new plate and cup with ladybugs (wanted something with Gaston 😉), an outfit for Christmas and a Christmas book from us. Santa is bring a few small wooden toys for her to play with in the car 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    This has never been an issue for us, it just doesn't come up at all. My kids don't really remember what came from Santa and what came from me. When it comes to other kids, they don't talk about "what did you get from Santa", they talk about "what presents did you get".
    I know that I have some wealthy family members who on Christmas day would always bring their extravagant gifts. My kids would always be a bit "wow!!", but in an excited way. They never ever have gotten upset that their cousins got xyz gift and they only got abc gift.

I just wanted to say re. 'I don't want Santa to get all the credit for awesome gifts'.... my kids big present has always been from Santa. So yep, when the kids are little and still believe in Santa, Santa gets the thanks. But it all comes out eventually! When my DS1 stopped believing a couple of years ago, I remember him coming to me one day with this shocked look on his face, saying "OMG mum, does that mean YOU have been the one buying all the presents all these years? Thank you sooo much mum", and he went on and on about how he just couldn't believe that I spend all that money and time and effort, and that he appreciated so so much how I always got exactly what they wanted.
    So don't stress PP's, your kids will find out eventually, and they will be so grateful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I just wanted to say re. 'I don't want Santa to get all the credit for awesome gifts'.... my kids big present has always been from Santa. So yep, when the kids are little and still believe in Santa, Santa gets the thanks. But it all comes out eventually! When my DS1 stopped believing a couple of years ago, I remember him coming to me one day with this shocked look on his face, saying "OMG mum, does that mean YOU have been the one buying all the presents all these years? Thank you sooo much mum", and he went on and on about how he just couldn't believe that I spend all that money and time and effort, and that he appreciated so so much how I always got exactly what they wanted.
    So don't stress PP's, your kids will find out eventually, and they will be so grateful.
    I second this, we had the same thing with DD, although she still gets a gift from Santa as DS still believes.

I never have had my kids compare to others. Even if their friends do get something extravagant.
    I think we put a lot more thought into this then they do, they're just happy it's Christmas they get presents and mum/dad at home with more free time for them then usual!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Santa brings everything in our house and it's never been an issue. I'm not changing our tradition because it's just such a non issue.
    As for Santa getting all the glory...I couldn't care less. Watching how excited my kids are on Christmas day is enough, I don't need a thanks....but if it really worries people as soon as they know the truth they have so much gratitude for you 'being Santa' that you get all the 'glory' then.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

CMF  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything comes from Santa in our house, the same as my husband and I had growing up. I never cared if my friends got more or less. Santa is such a magical time as a child and I want my daughter growing up with that magic as well.

I don't care if Santa get's all the glory and I don't feel the need to take credit for whatever presents we buy. That's the best part of Christmas for me, I love picking out fun gifts for my family (I also refuse to buy gift cards for anyone). Kids are forced to grow up so quick these days, I want my daughter to believe in Santa, Easter Bunny and Fairies for as long as she wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my house all the kids gifts come from Santa, for me that's the magic of Christmas, and I don't feel like i need to take credit for that. We give gifts to cousins, grandparents etc that go under the Christmas tree in the lead up to Christmas. They also have a Christmas Eve box which is from mummy & just has pjs, a movie, book, some choccies that sort of thing. But yep, all the Christmas Day presents are wrapped in different paper & I even try to disguise my handwriting (even though the kids are too young to notice) and are from Santa.