+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Santa and gifts

Each year I see Facebook posts about limiting what Santa gives as your child might get an Xbox and a million other gifts whilst little Jane only gets socks as that's all her parents can afford. ( thus making them feel like they haven't been good etc)

Our 2 year old is starting to get Christmas and it's made me think about this more.

I'm thinking I want to limit Santa gifts to small things and mummy and daddy give the Xbox ( if that makes sense).

Am I setting her up for disappointment that her friends get heaps from Santa and she only gets small things from him but heaps from us?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Growing up we only ever got gifts from Santa, my parents didn't claim any. I don't remember ever distinguishing between what 'Santa' gave and what else I got for Christmas.
    My girls definitely get much less than I got, because it was excessive and they get overwhelmed (almost 2 and almost 4).
    I think do what you feel comfortable with. Kids are pretty good at accepting that families do things differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Our kids are lucky if they get anything from Santa (last 2 years he hasn't visited due to their behaviour). If they do, its only 1 or 2 small things that they have been asking for. Then they get 1 big thing from us to share (trampoline, swing set etc) and a couple of small cheap things each. We aren't big on presents anyway- for our family its about being together as its usually the only time of year it happens.

I agree with moto- do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From memory we didn't only got one present from Santa as kids and I think I might do the same.

I can understand the sentiment though as I feel similar.

I buy a toy or book or two every month or when on sale to give to the smith family's toy appeal at the end of the year and as soon as my ds (who's also 2) is old enough to understand the concept of giving presents I'll save the money every month and get him to help me pick out toys and take them to the charity with me, so he understands that christmas is about giving as well as receiving.

Maybe you could make one or two smaller gifts from Santa or presents in a stocking for Santa and the rest from mum and dad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have actually never said these presents are from us and these are from santa. Dd is 6 so she might ask this year who gave what.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls both have a birthday either side of Christmas. One at the end of November and the other at the end of January so it makes times a little tight. However it's not their fault they were born at this time of the year, so I try to make christmas still exciting. This year we are doing christmas on a budget and the kids will probably get one present off me and a couple off Santa. But they will get more presents off other family relatives, their father when they go and visit him, so they definitely don't miss out lol. Actually they end up getting pretty spoilt...just do what you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The big gift has always come from us, Santa bring 3 things from their list and "surprises" (which are usually stationery, pjs, undies, etc).

They have never asked for more than 6 things, and they've never been anything major... although that might be because as far as they know, we pay santa and he is the delivery man

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big presents come from us at our place. I was the kudos LOL.

Last year DS had a massive list of things he wanted from Santa. So I told him that Santa gives one present as being greedy isn't being good. He then asked Santa for a book which I was thrilled about.

I know not everyone will do the same and as the kids gets bigger there may be the comparison talk among their friends, but I think it will just say that if Johnny got an Xbox from Santa, maybe his mum and dad helped pay for it.

Plus, with he Christmas parties, Santa gives the kids 3 presents total each year, so they are doing well really! This year he is giving them PJ's and the elves are giving them colouring in books. Definitely not the $250 Star Wars Lego DS is begging for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you should just do what you are comfortable with, & explain to your child that every family is different in how they celebrate xmas. We dont 'do' santa at all in our family, and the kids know all the gifts are from us. But we explain that some parents like to pretend that santa gives their kids the presents,so even though WE know santa isnt real, we are not to spoil the 'game' of santa for other kids and their parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a tough one and I have been thinking about it too. We started a Santa Sack last year and those gifts are 'from Santa' whereas other gifts are from us. This obviously limits what we can fit in the Santa sack, but this brings the problem that he can't ask Santa for anything too large. It also means he ends up getting lots from Santa because a half empty sack doesn't look so great.

Growing up we always got a big gift from Santa and another gift/s from mum & dad. I never questioned what other kids got, or at least didn't compare as such. I don't think at 4 DS will put much though into it either, I doubt whether he would remember what gift was from whom. But as he gets older it's definitely on my mind.

We do go over the top at Christmas. However, we don't buy much during the year (barely anything) so I think it's justified. DS has barely any toys compared to his friends and cousins and he's perfectly happy. He gets super excited about each and every gift so I don't think we are over-doing things as such.