Can you refuse a date for your elective cesarean in a public hospital | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Can you refuse a date for your elective cesarean in a public hospital

Hi everyone.

I'm 28 weeks with my 3rd baby is due in Feb/Mar 2016 booked at Dandenong Hospital. It will be my 3rd cesarian.

I got given a temporary date for my cesarean which will be 29th Feb. I have raised my concern not having it on the week on my due date as I do not wish to be in labour and honestly do not like the idea of giving my child a leap day as a birth date. What are my rights in refusing a given date?

The doctor said it was early to do anything and he couldn't do anything (he didn't seem keen to help as it was 5pm)

If anyone had similar experience in a public hospital I would really love to hear from you.

My next appointment is not until the new year but I want to be prepared.

T

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't be keen on having a leap year baby when there is a choice in the matter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Amy. I will try to put my foot down at my 32 weeks appointment. It was 5pm and the doctor wasn't keen on helping me at my 28 weeks appointment. If I was going for a natural birth then different story but who give a leap day when you sort of have the choice!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's very odd - hope they realise the silliness of that date and change it for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Friend of mine has a leap baby and sees it as making her extra special.
    Apparently there's an international community of leap babies who meet up or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't answer your question but i think a leap baby would be special. Imagine the party you can have when its on that leap year. They would be pretty unique. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been in that situation so I really can't give you the answer but I'd think they would need to deliver babies on that day or there would be a backload of patients and it's a waste of staff resources etc. I guess if no one wants their babies born on that day then you might not get to choose but if others don't care they could switch you with someone else.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

ElizaDoLittle  (30-06-2016),LoveLivesHere  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyRoberts View Post
    It's very odd - hope they realise the silliness of that date and change it for you
    It won't have been done on purpose - it'll be a standard Monday theatre list that just happens to have fallen on that date. You can't rearrange the entire hospital's theatre lists just because it's a leap year.

Elective Caesars are now done at late 38 weeks/early 39 weeks to reduce the risk of respiratory distress post birth for the baby.

You can ask them to change it but you may find that the other theatre days are already full - they probably only do an elective Caesars list once or twice a week and you can usually only do 2-3 on each list. 3 Caesars also makes it a high risk Caesar so they could want it done on that specific day due to what doctors are on or extra time in theatre etc.

All you can do is ask at your next appt what other dates are available.
    Last edited by alliecat89; 10-12-2015 at 18:33.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

ElizaDoLittle  (30-06-2016),LoveLivesHere  (10-12-2015),VicPark  (30-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure there will be people who wouldn't mind having their babies on a leap day.

But I thought if I told the doctors that I wasn't happy with that date, he would of done something about it so that when they decide on my date they would of considered my choice. It is 3 days before due date and I'm scared like my previous one to be in labour and have an emergency...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiff86 View Post
    I'm sure there will be people who wouldn't mind having their babies on a leap day.

But I thought if I told the doctors that I wasn't happy with that date, he would of done something about it so that when they decide on my date they would of considered my choice. It is 3 days before due date and I'm scared like my previous one to be in labour and have an emergency...
    When you speak to the doctors next, explain that you're concerned about going in labour before the c-section but maybe not mention the leap year thing as they may focus on that instead of the 'medical' concern.