+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A couple of years ago my MIL gave us a bag of about 15 x trucker caps (some booze brand from memory like Tooheys Extra Dry) that reeked of cigarette smoke. REEKED!

I think my DH gave them away to come of his work colleagues (most of which are rough around the edges type blokes).

Many times my mum has tried to palm off stuff to me but I find it easy to say no to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Please enjoy my useless crap

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    I've been given a huge amount of hand me down clothes. I don't mind hand me downs if they are still in good condition but some of this stuff is 2 or 3 sizes bigger than what ds is wearing and were hand me downs on the previous kid. By the time I get them they have been through 2 or 3 kids already and they are not in good condition, plus are way too big and I'm not going to keep used clothes for 2+ years. I hardly ever use the clothes, just say thanks and chuck it out. I don't have the heart to be rude about it.

We bought some of DS nursery furniture second hand off gumtree. We got an $800 cot for $150 because she just needed it gone. I have friends that spent hundreds or thousands on new nursery furniture and crack the sh!ts when their kid chews on the cot (big surprise, that's what they do). Personally I'd rather spend decent $$ on the next set of furniture that he will be using for a long time in comparison (and not chewing on by then!).
    I'm all about the second hand too - managed to get full stokke set up for very good prices by shopping around on gumtree and eBay. A few missing bits here and there solved with a quick trip to Bunnings and it's meant we aren't shy about modifying things like drilling extra holes in the stokke when I needed the cot higher to save my back.

I've bagged up some stuff to hand on but I think i did a better job because I washed, folded and bundled it all up with string so the next person who opens it doesn't have a big pile to sort into 0000, 000 etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I might get flamed for this but it's something I'm passionate about..... I totally get how old, soiled, dirty, smelly clothes are rude to be given to others (especially if not asked for) but the problem is everyone must have everything 'new' these days.

The environment is paying the price though! If people can't give away or sell old furniture etc, as everyone wants to but new, it all ends up in landfill. We are so wasteful in our society. Babies don't know if their basinette or change table or cot are new or not. It's quite snobby to turn your nose up at those things. If there's no safety issues, then why not accept second hand things?

And check out your local council websites there's often recycling depots that accept old clothes for those non fit for use donations you get.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (10-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (10-12-2015),BornToBe  (11-12-2015),Gentoo  (10-12-2015),hksl  (10-12-2015),JustJaq  (10-12-2015),misskittyfantastico  (10-12-2015),MissMuppet  (10-12-2015),Patience86  (10-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I might get flamed for this but it's something I'm passionate about..... I totally get how old, soiled, dirty, smelly clothes are rude to be given to others (especially if not asked for) but the problem is everyone must have everything 'new' these days.

The environment is paying the price though! If people can't give away or sell old furniture etc, as everyone wants to but new, it all ends up in landfill. We are so wasteful in our society. Babies don't know if their basinette or change table or cot are new or not. It's quite snobby to turn your nose up at those things. If there's no safety issues, then why not accept second hand things?

And check out your local council websites there's often recycling depots that accept old clothes for those non fit for use donations you get.
    Yup!!!!!

And even the horrible worn used clothing gets bagged up for selling as rags by the salvos, vinnies, etc.

Nothing wrong with getting new stuff too but a lot of second hand stuff is just as good.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please enjoy my useless crap

This. Although we can afford new I get a lot of stuff second hand...from op shops and gum tree. Once I have used it, if it is still in good condition I take it back to the op shop/ give away for someone else to use.

When DS was born I was given boxes of clothes from family friends. I barely bought him any clothing in the first year and it was great! Most were expensive and designer brands and great quality. He didn't care that his clothes had been used by other bubs and neither did I.

However, broken, soiled or unsafe things are another matter. Don't give away something you wouldn't use yourself! I also would never force something on someone who didn't want it. But at the end of the day I don't see why there is a stigma attached to second hand goods. People have done it for generations and it is really only recently with the advent of mass production that people can really afford to buy new all the time.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-12-2015),atomicmama  (10-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (10-12-2015),Gentoo  (10-12-2015),hksl  (10-12-2015),JustJaq  (10-12-2015),LoveLivesHere  (10-12-2015),MissMuppet  (10-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love getting and giving hand me downs, but I've been lucky and mostly have got good stuff. When I pass on, I always ask if it's wanted first and make sure all my things are nice and clean. Anything slightly stained gets offered for DC clothes, but I don't just lob it all in. I'd hate for my friends or family to think I was a filthy freak offloading junk on them!

I always clean and wash things too. I once went to buy a second hand stroller and it was filthy and had a bung wheel. Lady wanted $50 for it. I think I got a new one for $80 at target. I'll happily buy second hand, but not broken and filthy. If you want a decent price for it, at least give it a clean first!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG so glad I'm not alone in this.

Both my MIL and Mum are hoarders. MIL is an op shop addict but most of the stuff is not to our tastes or is simply not needed. I usually take most things and re-donate them. My DH has however put her foot down with her buying toys etc as we just don't have the room.

My mum has just held onto everything from my siblings and myself younger years.. even things are too worn and smell, broken or missing items. She keeps trying to offload all the things shes hoarded over the years and only recently have I learnt to say no thank you. They have both given us some useful things (both kids have used a second hand rocker and other things) but the majority just makes me tear my hair out in frustration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have been given some amazing hand me downs for ds. I only bought the car seat, cot and pram brand new as I wanted specific things due to my back. I actually don't think I had to buy clothes for him until he moved into size 1. It was great getting hand me downs as he had some gorgeous outfits that we also got complimented on and he was never dressed in the same thing as other babies around!

Other stuff however we have been given some doozies, an example, clothing that even my mother wouldn't wear, it's clothes that is more suited to a 70 year old woman, which is exactly where it came from.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, this! I was trying to work out how to word it, but you've pretty much summed it up perfectly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Yes, this! I was trying to work out how to word it, but you've pretty much summed it up perfectly.
    I try to have a no new plastic rule so if I need something made of plastic (like an activity centre) I scour gumtree for a good one.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (10-12-2015),BornToBe  (11-12-2015)