+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please enjoy my useless crap

Has anyone else been given hand-me-downs that were less than useful? It seems to happen pretty regularly to me.

I don't want sound ungrateful, I've been given a lot of wonderful things for DS, but then there are times I feel like people are giving us stuff just to save chucking it out themselves.
    Today I sat down with DS to put together a puzzle someone passed on to him. There were so many pieces missing you couldn't even make out what the picture was supposed to be.
    Then there was the time a work acquaintance brought in a bag of clothes her 16yo DS had just grown out of...my DS is 2! We live in a tiny house and there's no way I'm holding onto that sort of thing for 10+ years!
    Rusty, broken bikes, bags of stained hole-filled clothes (including undies!) and a desk that practically shoots splinters as you walk past are just a few I can think of.
    What things have people given you that have left you shaking your head?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My SIL once gave me a bag of stained and mouldy baby clothes.

ETA - I watched her put the stuff in the bag and I didn't know they were mouldy until I got home. She can't even use the excuse that they had been sitting the bag for a while and she didn't know what condition they were in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my, that sounds nasty! I really don't get some ppl...I mean if they wouldnt use it then why the hell would somebody else!!

Ive been given baby clothes with vomit on them before.
    A broken chalkboard
    Kids slippers with holes in them.

Those are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm expecting a bunch of used crap from dh's SIL. she sources all this old junk online and tried to flog it again online at over inflated prices.

she's given us gifts in the past that were made up of like dog eared used books, bottles of booze that are dusty and some looked open etc etc.

just sh*t that you look at and go, if you'd bought that brand new as a real gift, you'd only need to give one of those items. the fact that she gives you like 3 dog eared books and 2 random bottles of booze just reeks of used crap.

so yeah, given her track record, I'm
    fully expecting like a bag of old clothes or some crappy toys that our bub won't be big enough to use for like 2 or 3 years.

I find it really rude.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's pretty crap. Like 'this isn't good enough for me but you might want it'. I only give things away that I would be happy to have in my house or use (but I won't because it doesn't fit, etc) and always tell the person that they are under no obligation to take it. I word so they can say no

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate being given things without being asked or if it's pushed on me (whether it's used or new). I have a friend who gives me their old stuff they don't want without asking me (bring it when they visit) so now it's clogging up my house 😬 my mum buys DD crap all the time that doesn't fit and won't fit for a year at least drives me nuts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my mil won't seem to listen to reason and keeps just mindlessly buying for our bub. her tastes are really not our speed and she gravitates towards the really obvious/generic/traditional crap.

I'm not sure what to do with it all. I've just folded it up and put it away for now. she's bought stuff in a few different sizes so he can grow into it etc but yeah. I just don't like having stuff foisted onto me. makes me uncomfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yep, we've received some cr@p over the years: mouldy, stained, stinky, worn out clothes (that are about 5 sizes up from DDs current size), old toys with broken/missing pieces, the list goes on. I do think people are trying to be helpful but seriously we don't need your old cr@p!

On the other hand we've also received some AMAZING hand me downs too, so I guess we take the good with the bad. We've gotten beds, office furniture, good quality baby clothing and toys, and a heap of the most exquisite maternity clothing from a dear friend who quite frankly could have sold it for good $$ (and could really use the spare cash).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    my mil won't seem to listen to reason and keeps just mindlessly buying for our bub. her tastes are really not our speed and she gravitates towards the really obvious/generic/traditional crap.

I'm not sure what to do with it all. I've just folded it up and put it away for now. she's bought stuff in a few different sizes so he can grow into it etc but yeah. I just don't like having stuff foisted onto me. makes me uncomfortable.
    My mil does this too. But the clothes she buys are sooooo ugly! And i don't know where she gets some of them from but they STINK! Like cigarettes and chemicals. They go in the bin, I'm not putting that crap on my son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post

My MIL did this, bags and bags and bags of clothes. None of it was my taste and it was like she was trying to be solely responsible for DDs wardrobe for the first 5 years of life.

I just left it all in the bags, didn't even pack them away, and never put her in any of them. It was probably mean of me and I know she was just excited but honestly if she'd bought 1 or 2 things I would have humoured her but she was SO pushy and overbearing about HER granddaughter I thought if I act like I'm okay with this it'll never end.