+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I think i should get back to the sleep issue. How many unlucky parents out there have a catnapper at home?

People keep talking about sleep association. I find that any formal sleep training requires one settles the baby in the cot and a routine. Isn't that a sleep association as well?
    My bub started catnapping around 4 months and stopped shortly after when he was on solids. Hunger was the cause of his catnapping - it may not be the cause of your bubs. Catnapping can also be caused by not swaddling (before 4-5 months); bub being too hot or too cold; bub being transferred after falling asleep; bub not being tired enough or being too tired (timing of day naps); the environment changing after bub falls asleep (eg dummy out, patting or music has stopped etc).

Sleep associations/aids in themselves aren't necessarily bad. It's just that some parents aim for sleep aids that reduce the likelihood of bub waking through the night and adult intervention being required to get bub back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS has been catnapping since he was 2w old. It does get a bit better now with 30 mins rather than 10--15 mins as i mentioned in my first post. It is still very frustrating to get him enough nap during the day. I can't think of any good reason for him being a catnapper. Sure, he is colic but i doubt this is the main reason. He just can't transit into the next sleep cycle for whatever reason. I tried to help him to transit couple times. Most of the time it just didn't work. We certainly change our strategy quite often. That's mainly to try everything to get him to nap in the first place.

Does anyone DD/DS grow out of it eventually?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How old is he now bbhope?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is 4 months now. His digestive problem hasn't gone away.

He is certainly a much happier baby. He changed completely at 3 months. Smiling a lot these days. Just not so happy while drinking and farting. The first 3 months was hell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default settling/sleep issue

Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I think i should get back to the sleep issue. How many unlucky parents out there have a catnapper at home?

People keep talking about sleep association. I find that any formal sleep training requires one settles the baby in the cot and a routine. Isn't that a sleep association as well?
    My son didn't really stop catnapping until he went down to two naps a day and dropped that later afternoon nap. I think with some kids it's more that they just grow out of it.

Eta: I still religiously tried resettling but it pretty much to no avail until he was older.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 10-02-2016 at 23:58.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh you poor thing, it must have felt like an eternity! So pleased he's happier these days! Have you considered getting in touch with ngala about his sleep?

My Dd is 2 weeks and I'm thinking we might have a very windy colicky baby not fun at all!

I started doing some sleep training from about 5 months with my son, happy to tell you what it was, it worked within 3 days. He's a good sleeper now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    With changing things up just wanted to flag it can take a couple of weeks for a new routine or change to take affect. So if you are risking something to help stop catnapping (taking dummy, not feeding to sleep, introducing comforter etc) don't give up after only a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    My son didn't really stop catnapping until he went down to two naps a day and dropped that later afternoon nap. I think with some kids it's more that they just grow out of it.

Eta: I still religiously tried resettling but it pretty much to no avail until he was older.
    This was my DS too. I ended up babywearing lots (I know not everyone likes this). He slept a little longer doing that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default settling/sleep issue

Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    This was my DS too. I ended up babywearing lots (I know not everyone likes this). He slept a little longer doing that.
    I used to sit next to his cot for ages shooshing and patting! Once we moved to our current place I could lie down in our guest bed with him which actually ended up being quite nice and I actually miss now. I imagine I won't have the same type of time for ds2 once he arrives so probably lots of wearing!

There were many moms on bubhub who told me he would grow out of it and stop once he was having less naps but I didn't believe them☺️.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    What dose of reflux meds is he on?

I agree with VP, babies need consistency, if you try different things every day or few days Bub doesn't have enough time to cotton on as to what he's meant to do. I'm not saying sticking to something for 1-2 weeks consistently is guaranteed to work but it's more likely to work than trying a mixture of things all the time.

It does sound to me like the reflux isn't totally under control and perhaps there is a CMPI issue which by my experience with 2 bubs with it and your description of your Bub seems more than likely.

Until you get that sorted, it really doesn't matter what methods or routines or schedules you try none will work as he is waking out of pain and discomfort, not just a sleep association or lack of consistency.