+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 158
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,013
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanked
    491
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default settling/sleep issue

    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    How many of you darkened the room for day time nap for your bub? I read somewhere that one should get them to have day and night association and thus the suggestion of exposing daylight during the day. Does this not apply for newborn (< 3m)?

    I am not sure if i have mentioned above. DS started being able to settle and fall asleep easily in the evening lately. Such a blessing even though he still needs to feed every 3-4 hrs. Interrupted sleep wtih gas pain. I'm fine with that. it is a major improvement as compared to weeks of difficulty around the clock with sleep in the past. Day time nap is still an issue. Now, i am wondering if this has something to do with the light.

    What's all about exposing them to noise and light during the day as suggested by the book?
    Whenever possible I have DD's room dark (plus white noise) during the day. It makes such a difference.

    ETA: I always make sure I get DD outside when she's awake at least once a day to get her used the day/night cycle. I read a great article (which I'll post when I can find it) about the need to get baby outside when they're awake to increase/stimulate melatonin production which helps with sleep.
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 18-12-2015 at 13:00.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,282
    Thanks
    2,365
    Thanked
    1,921
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    How many of you darkened the room for day time nap for your bub? I read somewhere that one should get them to have day and night association and thus the suggestion of exposing daylight during the day. Does this not apply for newborn (< 3m)?

    I am not sure if i have mentioned above. DS started being able to settle and fall asleep easily in the evening lately. Such a blessing even though he still needs to feed every 3-4 hrs. Interrupted sleep wtih gas pain. I'm fine with that. it is a major improvement as compared to weeks of difficulty around the clock with sleep in the past. Day time nap is still an issue. Now, i am wondering if this has something to do with the light.

    What's all about exposing them to noise and light during the day as suggested by the book?
    @bbhope I know a lot of people do say you should have noise/light around babies during the day. BUT. When we were struggling with sleeping during the day I had a sleep consultant out and they strongly recommended that day sleeps should be in a darkened room. They said it is very difficult for babies and adults to sleep when light passes through the eyelid. Makes sense to me. If I'm ever going to nap during the day I close the blinds and curtains! So when home we have day naps in her dark room and also use white noise to drown out loud noises (have a VERY loud dog next door that barks all day 😡). When out if bub needs a nap in the pram I use a black muslin by a brand called Cuski (called a dreameeze muslin). I clip this to the pram and off she goes works a treat!
    Great to hear things are improving. It might just be time (I know that's hard to hear). My DD is 5.5 months now and it's only been the last week and a half that I'm consistently getting 1.5-2hr naps during the day.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

    HollyGolightly81  (18-12-2015),wobbleyhorse  (18-12-2015)

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Thanks
    5,195
    Thanked
    3,895
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends on the child. My three can sleep anywhere if they are on me.

    But if I want to them to sleep in their beds during the day then I close the blinds but leave the radio on.

    Only night sleeps are in the dark and no noise.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,211
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    3,454
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default settling/sleep issue

    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    How many of you darkened the room for day time nap for your bub? I read somewhere that one should get them to have day and night association and thus the suggestion of exposing daylight during the day. Does this not apply for newborn (< 3m)?

    I am not sure if i have mentioned above. DS started being able to settle and fall asleep easily in the evening lately. Such a blessing even though he still needs to feed every 3-4 hrs. Interrupted sleep wtih gas pain. I'm fine with that. it is a major improvement as compared to weeks of difficulty around the clock with sleep in the past. Day time nap is still an issue. Now, i am wondering if this has something to do with the light.

    What's all about exposing them to noise and light during the day as suggested by the book?
    My DS stopped sleeping in the pram and anywhere there was light or action going on (so he could see and look around or hear) when he was about 10 weeks, so I had to start darkening by default, he genuinely wouldn't sleep if he could look around--he's always been a major sufferer of FOMO! We're also in London and during daylight savings it's light out until 10pm and again at 3.30/4am so another reason his room is just permanently blacked out. He sleeps through the night and naps great so obviously doesn't have his day and nights mixed up, I don't think he ever really did.

    Eta: we use white noise as well.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 18-12-2015 at 17:38.

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,413
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked
    1,179
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just darken the room today and it seems to have work. It could also be one of these days when he just sleeps all day long after being overtired the day before.

    What's the cut off time of nap so the baby will sleep at night? It took a long time to settle DS as usual but at least he is in his cot. It is nearly 5pm. His next feed is due 5:30pm. He is awake on and off and i have been resettling him. He doesn't seem to get into his deep sleep cycle at all for nap. 30 mins max if i am lucky before i have to resettle him. I am hoping that once he gets used to sleep in the cot, he will sleep longer. He had a few big cries after knowing not being in my arms today. Please judge me on this. After so many weeks of holding him and can't take care of myself (stress and lost a lot of weight here), I really want him to sleep by himself and have few moment to eat and go to the toilet. I don't mind resettling him if that's what it takes.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,916
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I just darken the room today and it seems to have work. It could also be one of these days when he just sleeps all day long after being overtired the day before.

    What's the cut off time of nap so the baby will sleep at night? It took a long time to settle DS as usual but at least he is in his cot. It is nearly 5pm. His next feed is due 5:30pm. He is awake on and off and i have been resettling him. He doesn't seem to get into his deep sleep cycle at all for nap. 30 mins max if i am lucky before i have to resettle him. I am hoping that once he gets used to sleep in the cot, he will sleep longer. He had a few big cries after knowing not being in my arms today. Please judge me on this. After so many weeks of holding him and can't take care of myself (stress and lost a lot of weight here), I really want him to sleep by himself and have few moment to eat and go to the toilet. I don't mind resettling him if that's what it takes.
    @bbhope no one is judging you if you are using a version of controlled crying. Even paediatricians who are against CC will recommend it in situations where the mother hasn't been coping. And many members on Bubhub swear by it.

    Hope things improve for you.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

    meandmyboys82  (19-12-2015)

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Thanks
    5,195
    Thanked
    3,895
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    @bbhope no one is judging you if you are using a version of controlled crying. Even paediatricians who are against CC will recommend it in situations where the mother hasn't been coping. And many members on Bubhub swear by it.

    Hope things improve for you.
    This!.

    If you need a break. Feed bub, change their pants and then go take a break/breather/lunch/toilet/shower etc. Believe me I've done it, we've all done it too. You will cope much better if you are fed, clean etc.

    Remember you are important too!!!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

    meandmyboys82  (19-12-2015)

  11. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Thanks
    5,195
    Thanked
    3,895
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also - its kinda normal for babies to catnap. That's why I wear them in my carrier all day. I find that the more my babies sleep (quite frankly I dont care where they sleep just that they sleep) the better they sleep at night/next day.

    ETA- overtired and exhausted babies are frustrating.

  12. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,211
    Thanks
    3,646
    Thanked
    3,454
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default settling/sleep issue

    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I just darken the room today and it seems to have work. It could also be one of these days when he just sleeps all day long after being overtired the day before.

    What's the cut off time of nap so the baby will sleep at night? It took a long time to settle DS as usual but at least he is in his cot. It is nearly 5pm. His next feed is due 5:30pm. He is awake on and off and i have been resettling him. He doesn't seem to get into his deep sleep cycle at all for nap. 30 mins max if i am lucky before i have to resettle him. I am hoping that once he gets used to sleep in the cot, he will sleep longer. He had a few big cries after knowing not being in my arms today. Please judge me on this. After so many weeks of holding him and can't take care of myself (stress and lost a lot of weight here), I really want him to sleep by himself and have few moment to eat and go to the toilet. I don't mind resettling him if that's what it takes.
    In all honesty, my DS didn't start sleeping through sleep cycles on his own until he went down to two naps and then not completely until he started crawling (I think, it may have been a little earlier). I used to put him to sleep in his cot and leave, he'd sleep for one or two sleep cycles (usually just one) and I'd do what I needed to do and then when he needed to be resettled I just went in his room, picked him up and laid on the guest bed in his room with him for the rest of his nap. He would fall back to sleep and I ended up getting a little doze in as well. This was so much easier and less stressful for me than constantly trying to figure out ways to get him to self-settle on his own. He eventually started having longer naps on his own without my help and I no longer have to go in there and get 2-3 hours of naptime to myself (he's one nap now). I do understand that because we have a guest bed in his room that made this option much easier. ☺️

    Eta: I also only did the lying down with him for the 2nd 'big' nap. The morning one he was usually good about sleeping over an hour for and the 3rd one I didn't mind if it was short.

  13. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,872
    Thanks
    5,195
    Thanked
    3,895
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    In all honesty, my DS didn't start sleeping through sleep cycles on his own until he went down to two naps and then not completely until he started crawling (I think, it may have been a little earlier). I used to put him to sleep in his cot and leave, he'd sleep for one or two sleep cycles (usually just one) and I'd do what I needed to do and then when he needed to be resettled I just went in his room, picked him up and laid on the guest bed in his room with him for the rest of his nap. He would fall back to sleep and I ended up getting a little doze in as well. This was so much easier and less stressful for me than constantly trying to figure out ways to get him to self-settle on his own. He eventually started having longer naps on his own without my help and I no longer have to go in there and get 2-3 hours of naptime to myself (he's one nap now). I do understand that because we have a guest bed in his room that made this option much easier. ☺️

    Eta: I also only did the lying down with him for the 2nd 'big' nap. The morning one he was usually good about sleeping over an hour for and the 3rd one I didn't mind if it was short.
    Same here for all my girls.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Self Settling
    By rubytuesday24 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25-06-2015, 14:21
  2. Help with self settling
    By Gracie81 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 23-02-2015, 10:35
  3. Sleep issue, again....
    By heartstringz in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 18-02-2015, 19:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Baby Monitors
Looking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby Nursery Shop
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!