+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default settling/sleep issue

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Until he figures it all out. He's not doing it for fun in his sleep, he can't help it. His brain is making all these different connections while he learns how to do it and unfortunately a lot of that development happens while he is sleeping. It will probably happen again when he learns other skills like crawling and walking. Picture his brain like a blank canvas and as he learns things connections are made and the canvas slowly starts to fill with every developmental phase. Each developmental phase is a part of the picture completed with all eventually joining together.
    All this.

My DD is 8mths and a late roller. Just started and now loves to sleep on her tummy. Problem is she gets stuck against the side of the cot so I have to get up and move her! I really suggest getting a muslin sleeping bag tho as it will be very strange bub having his legs out. They change so much in the first year physically and mentally that it's a tall order to ask for sleep to stay the same. They just settle and their whole world changes again!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (06-03-2016),HollyGolightly81  (06-03-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Bbhope, you can try to stop him from rolling by tucking the bottom of his sleeping bag into the bottom of his cot, I know it works for some people but never worked for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How did he go without the swaddle? I was thinking perhaps it's not sleeping on his tummy that's the problem but he wasn't happy about having his arms in the LTD as he can't fully get comfortable on his tummy.

Babies sleeping on their tummies is actually very natural, it's only SIDS guidelines that say to sleep bubs on their backs.

Both my kids slept better once unswaddled as they flipped right over on their tummies to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Also how many sleeps is he having and how old is he? Maybe he's sleeping too late in the afternoon and isn't ready to sleep at night so wakes up soon after you put him down as he's not being tired enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We struggled with nap so he has never gotten enough nap. He is now 5m. Yes he does put down for a nap at 4:30pm. Otherwise he won't last until bed time at 7pm and super grumpy by 6pm. he only sleeps 30mins for nap each time. Not our choice. He is a catnapper and we gave up finding an answer for that. If lucky, we got 3hrs in total nap a day. Far less than recommended.

He is off ltd since wed night. We will be giving sleeping bag as it is getting colder at night. he is a wild sleeper so a blanket is not ideal. Everytime we put a blanket on, we end up checking him very often and zero sleep. Guess what? He was sleeping on his tummy last night! He fussed a little and fell back to sleep. No dummy needed as well. We were so worried that we kept checking to make sure he wasn't covered his nose.

Ya I know. My friend told me that her baby stood to sleep crying when he first learning standing up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

[QUOTE=bbhope;8423588].

He is off ltd since wed night. We will be giving sleeping bag as it is getting colder at night. he is a wild sleeper so a blanket is not ideal. Everytime we put a blanket on, we end up checking him very often and zero sleep. Guess what? He was sleeping on his tummy last night! He fussed a little and fell back to sleep. No dummy needed as well. We were so worried that we kept checking to make sure he wasn't covered his nose. /QUOTE]

As I suspected. He likes being on his tummy but not restricted by the LTD. sleeping bags are awesome as you don't need to keep checking in Bub as there's nothing to cover their faces.

You could also try a long sleeved I die with an all over zip up fleecy pjs with the feet in them if you don't want to fork out for a sleeping bag when it gets colder.

Do you wake him at the same time every day? If he's having say 4 x 40 minute naps could you try a routine like this?

7am wake Bub
    9 am Bub to nap
    9:40/10 Bub to wake
    12 Bub to nap
    12:40/1 Bub to wake
    3:30 Bub to nap
    4:10/4:30 Bub to wake
    6:30 Bub to sleep for the night?

At 5 months 2-2.5 hours awake time could still work?? How long is he usually awake before he gets cranky?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (06-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes he wakes up at 7am but normally 6am. We just put him in our bed until 7am. We jut cuddle him not really sleeping.

He is awake for 2--3hrs. He cries to sleep. That's him! We r still sorting out it formula because he still cried when we feed him. No idea if it is reflux or stomach.

6:30pm bed time is hard because I or DH gets home from work at 6pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes,I certainly agree that their sleep pattern changes from time to time. No consistency. I talked to few other ladies and they seem to be lucky with baby who is good in sleeping.

Do you ladies reckon bub at his age can last whole night without a feed? His bed time is 7pm--7am with many interruptions in the last few weeks. I assume the rolling part is over ever since he figured out how to sleep on his tummy. He normally falls back to sleep when we put the pacifier back in. We are using the pacifier for a lot of reasons including reflux. Since his reflux is getting better (although it flares up every now and then), we are thinking to wean it off after what had happened in the last few nights. This is going to be a tough one.

He started not having the night feed once in a while since 3.5 month old. Note: with interruptions and not sleeping through. He started doing it for few nights in a roll in the last couple of nights. Then, it becomes our expectation of him not having the night feed. Last night, he didnt' really sleep. I lost count of how many times i woke up to put the pacifier in. I didn't sleep as well. It started at 10pm and all the way until 6:30am. I wonder if he was hungry and thus waking up? We give him a night feed only if he wakes up and won't settle back to sleep. With me putting the pacifier back, he just fell back to sleep only it didn't last long. The other night, we tried panadol just to rule out teething pain but it wasnt the case. I was certainly it wasn't because he cried with teething pain not just fussing.

Speaking of nap, he is getting better. He is easier to put down for a nap these days if he is tired enough. He still needs to be patted to nap but not as hard as before anymore. Strangely, he is OK to self settle for the night sleep. There is no consistency with his nap time but normally a catnapper unless i try hard to help him getting ito the next sleep cycle. Sometime it works, sometime it doesnt.

Also, his gas issue is getting better but still isn't under controlled. When he wakes up so many times at night, we wonder if that's the problem.

Note: he only started a bit of solid once a day in the late morning. 180ml for evening feed.
    Last edited by bbhope; 09-03-2016 at 11:58.