+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i was told because of his age, it is recommended to go under. Otherwise, this will be very painful and traumatic to him. There is a significant blood flows to the area after 3 months old. I ain't expert.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used moody for tongue and upper lip tie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd was 13 mths old at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    i was told because of his age, it is recommended to go under. Otherwise, this will be very painful and traumatic to him. There is a significant blood flows to the area after 3 months old. I ain't expert.
    Please please look further into this before you consent to a general anesthetic. You babe is 4 months, correct? Both the people I mentioned will use laser at this age but the sooner the better so please call them. They will allow you to self refer but they will ask who diagnosed the TT. My experience with Ikids dental is that they are very happy to discuss these kind of thing on the phone. Obviously they can't give specifics about your child without a consult but they were very helpful with my 100 questions on the phone when I called. They will book you in for a consult. At your appt you will first talk to the dental nurse and she will ask about your problems and symptoms of TT. Then Tim will come in and do a very thorough assessment of your child's mouth. He will tell you how the laser release may help but he will be very clear not to promise that all your problems will be suddenly solved. It takes time to relearn to use the released tongue. I'm my experience he does not push you to go ahead with the procedure but if you decide you want it he does it during your appt. So you can just pay for the consult and go away and think or pay for the consult and procedures and go head right then. Your child lays on the dental chair and is swaddled. A local gel is used to numb enough to give a local injection. Then the local injection numbs more thoroughly. This is done by the nurse and then given time to work. Then Tim does the lasering. The lip and tongue takes about 3 minutes to release. There is almost no blood as the laser cauterises as it goes. My son was over 6 months he cried but I sung in his ear while it was happening and then immediately unswaddled him and breastfed. I can givr you more info about how both my kids coped with the recovery but this is becoming a very long reply! Long story short.... PLEASE research before agreeing to a cut under GA. And you do not have to wait (other then the wait to get an appt). Call Johnson and moody asap and get an appt. You can have a consult and then not have the procedure if it's not needed or you don't feel sure.
    Also I just have to say that I completely understand the frustration of the ties going undiagnosed. Every post I see on here talking about colic and reflux and difficulty feeding makes me want to scream CHECK FOR TIES!!!! But I worry that my personal experience have clouded my opinion. Then I see how you have struggled and u wish I chimed in sooner. Good luck. Xxx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

amyd  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Bit off topic - Sorry OP
    @RedCreamingSoda - do you know what the implications of not getting an upper lip tie treated? My DD has one (she is 8 months). I did ask about it when she was born but the focus was definitely on the tongue tie.
    Hiya. For my kids the main issue was that they couldn't flange the top lip up so that was making it impossible to get an good latch and seal on the nipple. From my experience (please note I'm no expert just someone who has researched as much as possible for the best options for my 2 kids) the ties cause a few common issues.
    First keep in mind that having a frenulum that attaches low in the gum is pretty common for babies and doesn't necessarily mean a tie. You need to consider function not look. The simplest way I find to get an idea if it's tight is to flip the top lip up. Does it flip? Does it go up over the nostrils? My sons could hardly flip up at all. My daughters could flip up but pulled tight and didn't reach her nose.
    So untreated it COULD cause a gap. This is just about looks and I don't know any good practitioners who would revise just for looks. Aesthetics would not be reason enough for me to revise but I will admit that preventing the need for expensive and painful braces in teenage years with a 3 min procedure did cross my mind. But it's not 100% that the gap wouldn't get smaller when the adult teeth come in anyway.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Hiya. For my kids the main issue was that they couldn't flange the top lip up so that was making it impossible to get an good latch and seal on the nipple. From my experience (please note I'm no expert just someone who has researched as much as possible for the best options for my 2 kids) the ties cause a few common issues.
    First keep in mind that having a frenulum that attaches low in the gum is pretty common for babies and doesn't necessarily mean a tie. You need to consider function not look. The simplest way I find to get an idea if it's tight is to flip the top lip up. Does it flip? Does it go up over the nostrils? My sons could hardly flip up at all. My daughters could flip up but pulled tight and didn't reach her nose.
    So untreated it COULD cause a gap. This is just about looks and I don't know any good practitioners who would revise just for looks. Aesthetics would not be reason enough for me to revise but I will admit that preventing the need for expensive and painful braces in teenage years with a 3 min procedure did cross my mind. But it's not 100% that the gap wouldn't get smaller when the adult teeth come in anyway.
    Oops pressed send too early.

Other mayor concern with lip tie is decay of the top 4 teeth. The tie can cause two little pockets that food and fluid gets trapped in. This food is held against those teeth and the tie also makes it difficult and painful to brush those top front teeth. Soooooo often mums are blamed for this decay because they breastfeed at night. That is rubbish. If the decay is on the top middle 2 or 4 teeth I would bet money that it's the ties!
    Again I must point out that not everyone with a lip tie will have these issues so I can't say that your daughter should have it revised. Do you think it's causing any problems? Xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (15-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS appeared to have a pretty large upper lip tie when he was a baby (he had a tongue tie that we had snipped at two weeks old due to feeding issues). When he was 10 months it appeared to be causing a large gap in his teeth, it was really noticeable and appeared 'tight.' We were visiting my uncle who is a dentist and his simple response when I asked if it was going to cause a gap/cause future problems, etc was 'he's not finished yet.' Meaning DS at 10 months old isn't finished growing, changing, the lip tie needs time to stretch, etc and if the lip tie isn't causing feeding problems then at 10 months you don't stress about it. Now at 2 years old it has definitely stretched more and there isn't a noticeable gap between his teeth.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had DD done as although feeding wasnt an issue (although she is now more quiet when drinking), trying to clean her teeth was a nightmare as we couldn't get the brush under her lip to clean them and were worried about tooth decay. Her TT was snipped but had regrown a bit and was very thick....mine is/was the same and I have a slight lisp so we decided to get that done too. It wasn't a particularly pleasant experience tbh, especially for DH who had to hold her but she won't remember and we can now brush her teeth properly. She also had a gap between the two front teeth that has now closed. I'm annoyed that 40% of children with a TT will also have an ULT but no one ever checked, we noticed it ourselves and it would've been better and less traumatic to get it lasered when she was younger.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default settling/sleep issue

I'm not really sure if it is causing major issues - she certainly has a large gap between her front teeth but she does have movement when I lift her top lip - not as much as I have though. I don't feel it's a severe Upper Lip Tie but I'm going to do a bit more reading about it. You've sparked my interest.

When I had her TT done, the paediatrician didn't seem concerned about it so possibly it is only mild.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK...back to sleep issue. DS is full on with sleep regression. He has been waking up every 1.5 hr in the last 3 nights. I am like a zombie back to work.

Thanks ladies for the lip tie dr suggestion. When i described this to one friend, she actually against me to get it done. I don't know the detail. All i know is that her son has it, now has a bit of speech problem but she still thinks there is nothing to do with the lip time.