+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default settling/sleep issue

HI ladies,

i have posted in the colic, reflux thread. I think it is more appropriate on this forum. I have signed up with the Ngala but am still waiting. In the meantime, i am hoping to get some advices here.

DS has reflux and is colic (windy). He has been quite unsettled since 3w old. He cries a lot and a miserable baby. He is now 9w old. He isn't like a typical baby who can eat, quiet play, sleep. We have feeding issue early on but i think we have managed to get it to work in 3 hrs x 8 feed block. It takes ages to settle him to sleep. Sometime the time has passed that it is due for another feed. I tend not to feed him if he doesn't have a nap. I try bouncer, cot (tilted), co-sleeping, swing (the little lamb swing that everyone recommended), sling, carrier and pram and nothing seems to work. He always wants me to rock him to sleep. Sure, I don't mind that and transfer him after. However, he just won't stay asleep. I know few of you have told me to just let him sleep in my arms. The fact is that i did and 98% of the time. I have lost so much weight for not eating well. Even he sleeps in my arms, he is a catnapper. I am not talking about 1hr block but 10 or 15 mins he would wake and fuss. He just becomes overtired and grumpy (another source of crying). I am so envy for those who can just put baby in the pram and go out. I am feeling so sad with a crying baby and feel so disconnected from the outside world.

Recently, my friend loan me a baby hammock which bounces up and down. Surprisingly, DS is able to fall asleep on his own!!! I thought that's a life saver. Unfortunately, after a day of trying, he became so agitated from overtiring. He doesn't sleep in it long either. It took him another day to recover from it -- he basically just wanted to sleep all day long in my arms the next day (with interruption). How could that be? I saw him slept in it. From what i read, the motion will not put them into deep sleep. Is it true?

Another puzzle to me is that he seems hyperactive. He won't stop throwing his arms and legs during feed or sleep. It takes so much effort to "calm" him. He doesn't seem to be the typical sleepy baby that everyone has for the first 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi.. I can't offer much advice but wanted to send hugs. I have a 5mth old that's running rings round me.

Babies need stimulation which is constantly changing.. Does he spend any time on a play mat? The ones with the dangling toys above so he can get mentally tired?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. We might over stim him sometime like a play time with the musical mobile. Believe it or not. That's the only time he smiles!!! You wonder why we let him play for a few mins. We don't do it after every feed. Only when he is wide awake. The pram....he is happy to go in it when awake. He is a curious little guy. But he just cries when he opens his eyes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am still waiting him to outgrow it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hugs. It is hard. My only suggestion is to baby wear. My 9wk old is a koala baby (screams if you put her down).

So I wear her ALL Day. I'm moving now so its a PIA but there is nothing else to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope are you giving anything for the reflux? My DD was such a sad/grumpy baby when she was first born I was so upset she always looked so sad, then we started her on losec and she turned into a different child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Massive hugs @bbhope, my first boy was similar. What worked for us at sleep time was a dark room, the love to dream swaddle (revolutionised my world), dummy, and rain or wave sounds from the 'sleep sheep'. We also started doing deep relaxation baths followed by baby massage at the same time everyday. It was a great way to calm him down before bed and he got to know this routine after awhile. Do you follow the sleep, feed, play advice? Try and give him lots of tummy time, great for tiring them out without over stimulating.
    Are you swaddling him? Does he like the car? Have you got a good carrier to wear him?
    Don't compare him to other babies, you'll just feel worse. I used to do that too. Remember, every child is different, you just need to find what works for you and stick with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh just remembered, he also had infacol every feed and we 'farted' him with massage to get all the extra wind out. This helped alot! Wind was definitely a major factor in his crying bouts at night

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wish I can just wear him. We tried to put him into the babybjorn carrier and he was in distressed. Second try.

My friend told me to go for a walk with the pram so I just did. I was too scare to handle him by myself. Normally pram time with DH. He didn't sleep in it! Gosh. He started crying.....now we r home and he is overtired. I put him in my arms. Bam. He is asleep. Did I have my lunch? No.

We use infacol. Even so, wind is still bothering him at night. It seemed like he was trying to do a long stretch of sleep last night but woke up many times due to wind. he wasn't interested in eating when his 3hrs meal time was up. He was awake and happened to be at 3hrs mark.

I don't swaddle because I normally transfer him to cot at night. At it the moment is a bit too hot during the day. I use love to dream. I notice he sleeps better but still with a lot of interruptions. Do U use it during the day as well?

Yes we follow feed, play, sleep. But hard to implement when he skips s nap session. Take too long to soothe him to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the reflux, he is on losec. I am not sure if it makes a difference. Hard to tell if it is wind or reflux.