+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnant and being around sick people

Do you ladies in here who are currently pregnant (or who have been pregnant) avoid being around sick people?

We have alot of sick people at work at the moment and it is doing my head in with the lack of personal hygiene that people seem to have. (Not covering their mouths when coughing, constantly sniffing etc)

I feel like I am being a bit OTT but at the same time i am trying to protect my unborn baby from all of these nasties.

Its also really important that I dont get sick as i dont have any immunity to chicken pox.

I guess i just need a bit of reassurance and to know im not the only one 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I worked in child care when I was pregnant and was constantly coming into contact with sick kids. There isn't a lot you can do unfortunately, just make sure you are protecting yourself i.e washing hands etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I will add that apart from a cold or 2 I didn't get sick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsLadyBugg View Post
    Do you ladies in here who are currently pregnant (or who have been pregnant) avoid being around sick people?

We have alot of sick people at work at the moment and it is doing my head in with the lack of personal hygiene that people seem to have. (Not covering their mouths when coughing, constantly sniffing etc)

I feel like I am being a bit OTT but at the same time i am trying to protect my unborn baby from all of these nasties.

Its also really important that I dont get sick as i dont have any immunity to chicken pox.

I guess i just need a bit of reassurance and to know im not the only one 😊
    Definitely not the only one. I'm like that even when not pregnant. Hate being around sick people - seriously stay home so we don't all catch it. I've got sinus issues so generally a cold turns into sinus infection which means a couple of weeks of pain and feeling crap. I actively avoid being around sick people where I can.
    A friend of mine was sick recently and it was her birthday on day 2 of a bad cold. She still went out for dinner with 2 friends who are pregnant and 2 others that have small kids at home. So freaking selfish. I would have been furious if I was there.
    Last week my mum was sick, I didn't know and took my 5 month old to visit. As soon as dad said mum was unwell I said ok I'm going. My mum comes out and says oh it's just a throat infection. Ok so you're sick with a viral infection but you think it's ok to cuddle my baby? I left. Bub has already had 2 colds we don't need to get sick again. They can think what they like they're not the ones taking care of her when she can't breathe or feed properly.
    If you can't be far away then stand a metre away and constant hand washing, alcohol gel will hopefully help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I try to avoid it. I never used to get sick until I had kids. I ended up with the flu during my first pregnancy! It was the first flu I ever had! I was also like 36 weeks. Don't know who I got it from but definitely wasn't anyone I associated with regularly as they were all well.
    Now that I have kids I stay away from sick people as much as I can. Just so the kids don't catch anything. I'm pregnant at the moment and have been sick a few times. The last being a few weeks ago I had tonsillitis
    It's definitely not OTT to feel that way. No one likes being sick!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work in Pharmacy - sick people all day long! When I was pregnant I was super vigilant about washing my hands (with soap and water, not just alcohol gel) and not touching my face/nose/eyes. Also personal space - 1 metre apparently is the magic number to avoid catching bugs via droplets!
    I got maybe 1 cold while pregnant, so I think those measures worked.
    Nowadays with a toddler in daycare there is no avoiding the sickness!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work in health care so I'm permanently around sick ppl.

And I've never gotten anything more than a cold and not even that with my latest pregnancy.

It's ok to feel worried but statistically you and bub will be fine .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, i guess im just a bit worried about getting sick due to having no immunity to chicken pox. Shall still steer clean of sick people and just soldier on 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wouldn't it help you baby to be around moderately sick people now? Because you'd be making anti corps that would transfer to your baby?

Genuine question, I don't know the answer.

During both pregnancies I got the flu vacc and kept going on about my life.
    I got sick once though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Wouldn't it help you baby to be around moderately sick people now? Because you'd be making anti corps that would transfer to your baby?

Genuine question, I don't know the answer.

During both pregnancies I got the flu vacc and kept going on about my life.
    I got sick once though!
    I don't actually know, all i know is that my doctor has told me to stay away from anyone with chicken pox as if i was to contract it, it could severely affect bub. Obviously I'm not walking around ina bio-hazard suit
    just getting frustrated at peoples lack of hygiene. And trying not to get sick so that my immune system is already down and more susceptible to chicken pox if that makes sense 😊