+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For those who were breastfeeding, how long did it take to notice a difference when you eliminated dairy? I've done 2 weeks now being as strict as possible (avoiding all when buying food but have eaten our few times so can't guarantee no milk traces) but there has been no improvement in the mucous and this morning for the first time there was also blood. I'm going to see another gp for a second opinion today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    For those who were breastfeeding, how long did it take to notice a difference when you eliminated dairy? I've done 2 weeks now being as strict as possible (avoiding all when buying food but have eaten our few times so can't guarantee no milk traces) but there has been no improvement in the mucous and this morning for the first time there was also blood. I'm going to see another gp for a second opinion today.
    I noticed a difference within 24 hours. Sorry to hear it hasn't improved. Might be worth asking for a referral to a pediatrician.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder if probiotics might help? Might be worthwhile asking the Dr about it. I think they've helped my DS, but he is older, and like i said above, seemed to develop green poos after a virus, rather than having them all along etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I've only just found this thread! It took a week with DS and DD I can't remember as we went into formula.

Some GPs say to also cut out all soy as 60% of bubs with CMPI are also intolerant to soy. Luckily my two can have soy.

So if you haven't seen a difference, I would either cut out soy too or you might need to wean as it could be lactose intolerance (lactose is in everyone's breastmilk whether you consume dairy or not). Or alternatively continue with just dairy elimination but make sure you know for a fact there's no dairy in every single thing you eat.

As my DD was dairy free before I had to go dairy free with DS I found cutting it out quite easy - albeit frustrating as I love creamy pasta sauces, chocolate and cheese.

Did you end up getting a stool sample tested? What about a blood test? It could even be celiac (sp?)

Good luck getting to the bottom of it! It can take time when you're working with elimination diets.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Cows milk intolerance?

Oops double post

Thanks
    Reviews
    I noticed improvement within a week. Bummer you haven't had improvement yet. Hope you have a gp who is knowledgeable about this type of thing, I found that not a lot are unless they have personal experience with it. Take photos of mucous/blood in the nappies along! In the mean time (dairy free) probiotics would be worth a try, and you can also lacteze drops from the pharmacy. They are lactase enzyme, give them around the time you feed and they help break down the lactose in your milk. Good luck! And keep keeping us posted!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It takes 3 weeks for the dairy to leave your system, and another 3 weeks for Bub. Also, like mentioned by others, many babies who are allergic to dairy also can't tolerate soy, as the protein in both are very similar (it is the protein in the dairy not lactose. Lactose is a different allergy). There is a test for lactose intolerance but not CMPA (Cows milk protein allergy). You can only do an elimination diet and see if it works. I have had two with CMPA as well as medicated reflux, so feel free to message me if you would like more info. I can help you with alternative food shopping as well, and reading labels and sometimes the milk or soy can be hidden without you realising it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everybody for the replies. Went to diff gp today, she rang the lab to get faecal results and all normal (ie no bacteria etc found.) today ds2 has been pretty uncomfortable and during feeding is biting down whilst straining and actually cut my nipple!! So feeding is now super painful! He passed a large amount of blood stained mucous after lunch and I took pics to show dr (lovely!). She was sympathetic and has referred me to paed. I hadn't cut out soy completely but don't have a lot of it so shouldn't be hard to cut that out too. One thing I am wondering about is eggs as I have still been eating those and yesterday I gave ds1 some scrambled egg. Maybe that's why he's worse today? I'll try cutting eggs out too whilst I wait to see paed and hope it's one of those! Finding it hard to find food to eat and enjoy! Would love some recipe ideas especially for sweet things!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cows milk intolerance?

Sweet recipes are hard with no dairy and egg! I have read somewhere you can substitute egg with soaked chia seeds. I ate a lot of expensive dairy free raw chocolate type things from the health food section when I couldn't have dairy. Please share any good recipes you find, always handy to have on hand!

So glad your GP is onto things.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (04-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes my daughter can't have eggs either.
    Recipe ideas- a lot of Jamie Oliver's meats at Woolworths are dairy, soy and egg free. The cooked chooks at woollies here are dairy, soy and egg free, but Coles ones aren't. I make bolognaise myself so that's always an easy dinner. At woollies and Coles I buy bio cheese. It's a fake cheese that does not contain soy, and it is actually not too bad. Lindt 70% chocolate is dairy, soy and egg free too. Also at my Woolworths I can buy coconut condensed milk. I think it was in the Asian section. I made rum balls with these and they were amazing!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IncyWincy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (04-01-2016)