+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cows milk intolerance?

Hi,
    My ds2 is 6 months old and is generally a very happy baby. He did have colic as a baby but grew out of that by 12 weeks. When he was a little baby (3-4 weeks) he has very grassy, foamy green poo so I tried block feeding for oversupply issues and did dairy free trial for 2 weeks. The dairy trial didn't seem to make any difference and as I've said he seemed to grow out of the crying. The grassiness improved, or at least he didn't appear uncomfortable with it, but it's always extremely smelly.
    So he normally poos every 3-4 days which doesn't concern me as ds1 was the same and he doesn't show any pain or discomfort when pooing. However his poos have always been green (again I've heard this is not always a sign for concern) but was does bother me is that there is always quite a lot of mucus in the poo. I've read this can be caused by bowel irritation and could be a sign of an allergy it intolerance such as cows milk protein. So my question is can he have an intolerance in absence of any discomfort etc?
    In terms of solids we have only just started offering finger foods to try and this issue has been present since birth. Any ideas?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

My experience was DD did very runny poos that went everywhere, normal colour but often mucousy. No discomfort. When we started her on solids we gave her yoghurt a few times, and she was very unsettled those nights. Then the mucous developed red streaks, and it was suggested she might have cows milk protein intolerance. We cut all dairy out, she improved (no mucous) and even stopped leaking all over her clothes when she pooed. We were dairy free for about 3 months, then we reintroduced and she's been fine with it. So in answer, yes, he could have CMPI but maybe check with a knowledgable GP or baby nurse. Not all health care professionals know much about it, and it involves cutting out more than just milk. It's not lactose intolerance, it's intolerance to the actual protein so low lactose dairy products (Parmesan etc) are still out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah his poos are always completely liquid whereas I seem to remember my ds1 having more toothpaste consistency poos at his age.
    I'm going to gp on Monday for his Vax so I think I'll mention it to her and maybe try and take a sample to show her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad84 View Post
    My experience was DD did very runny poos that went everywhere, normal colour but often mucousy. No discomfort. When we started her on solids we gave her yoghurt a few times, and she was very unsettled those nights. Then the mucous developed red streaks, and it was suggested she might have cows milk protein intolerance. We cut all dairy out, she improved (no mucous) and even stopped leaking all over her clothes when she pooed. We were dairy free for about 3 months, then we reintroduced and she's been fine with it. So in answer, yes, he could have CMPI but maybe check with a knowledgable GP or baby nurse. Not all health care professionals know much about it, and it involves cutting out more than just milk. It's not lactose intolerance, it's intolerance to the actual protein so low lactose dairy products (Parmesan etc) are still out.
    Were you breastfeeding? If so did you go dairy free yourself? Or if you were on formula was there a specific one she was on?

Thanks
    Reviews

I was breastfeeding so I went dairy free as well as DD. Luckily vegan/paleo is huge at the moment, meant I could still enjoy myself!! Definitely ask about it, not sure they need a sample to diagnose. I have some GP friends, they casually mentioned I should look into it based on runny poo/mucous/small amount of blood. One of them had gone dairy free for her DD, and had great success. Maybe take a photo or two to show the GP. Hope you get some answers!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else had a baby with cmpi?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @A-Squared and @Cue both have CMPI kids.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 had CMPI and was breastfed until 5 months. His only symptoms were projectile vomiting and extreme fussiness when BFing, like he wanted it but didn't. He would throw up an entire feed every second feed or so. He kept gaining weight though so I was kind of ignored by the GP, MHCN and a paed. I had PND and I think they all thought I was exaggerating. I took him to another paed who suggested me going dairy free. The change was literally overnight. I banished all dairy from my diet (not in ingredients, just as a major thing like a milky coffee or chocolate or yoghurt etc) and he stopped spewing the day after my first day of dairy free. If I even had a small amount of milk he would throw up the next feed. In the end I got sick of the restrictions, he was still a bit fussy during feeds and I ended up resending him a bit so I and put him on Nan HA formula which suited him fine. When he started drinking cow's milk at about 12 months he had A2 as any other milk gave him the runs. He was fine with yoghurt or cheese though from about 13-14 months. He started tolerating regular milk at around 2.5 years and is now fine (5.5 year's).

Interestingly I was also CMPI as a child and have noticed my psoriasis is aggravated if I have a lot of dairy.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @nh2489. I started a thread a while back about green poos. Bit different to your situation though, as I didn't notice any mucous. Here's the thread in case it's helpful - http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ing&highlight=

The poos continued to be green, so I tried lactose free formula (and continued EBM) for a while. The green colour resolved itself slowly into a more normal colour, and after a while I started to transition back to normal formula. The green colour seemed to return when I did that, and he was having 2-3 poos per day.

At his 12mth checkup, the MCHN suggested his gut might still be inflamed, and suggested going back to lactose free formula, and giving him probiotics. He's been having the lactose free formula and probiotics for a month or so now, and poo is no longer green, and he's now more a once a day boy. So it does seem like it's been a bit of lactose intolerance for him. We haven't taken out cheese, yoghurt, or anything like that - just been giving him lactose free formula. I think it should resolve itself in time - I"m hoping it's just temporary lactose intolerance / overload. Shortly, I'll be going back to regular formula and seeing how he goes. I'm a bit scared to try regular cow's milk yet, even though he's almost 14 months.

I don't know whether my long story helps at all, but there you go Hope your bub is doing better soon.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (12-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. @Moxy it's good to know you didn't need to cut out all dairy ingredients too as when I tried to do a 2 week trial I really struggled. I found as I was checking food packets there seemed to be so much food with dairy in! So hopefully if I do need to go dairy free it will be manageable even with the odd small slip up. @JustJaq it's interesting to hear your story and thread. I guess in your case the colour changed rather than always being green but I still just don't think it's normal to be green all the time even if people say it can be. I'll see what the dr says on Monday. One of the annoying things is that my ds only poos every 4-5 days so I was hoping to get some pics to take to the dr but still no poo since wed! Let's hope he performs tomorrow!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (12-12-2015)