+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never avoided it. I think some of the earliest conversations I had with DD about death were related to food. "That's beef. It's meat from a cow. The cow has to be dead and cooked first though." etc.
    We saw a dead bird the other day and she was fascinated. She LOVES animals, and I thought she might be a bit upset...but she just had a good look at it. I told her not to touch it or lean too close, but that was all. She just watched it for a while, then asked whether it had eyes. I told her that its eyes had been eaten - probably by ants or maggots. She was fine with that...spent the afternoon talking about how/when/why she was going to die though :P

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

zalimama  (12-12-2015)

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    sunshine coast qld
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have realised that death is something you can not hide or keep secret from young ones, so it is better to be truthful at all times. Also, if a child has some experience of grief, the child might have to re-visit that grief or that loss again as the child grows older. I know from my personal experience. my father passed away when I was only 11. I did the normal things, cried at his funeral and such, but 29 years later, I went through an adult level of grief for him. I was taken by surprise by that. always honesty, and just allow the children to work through it in their own way. marie.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

zalimama  (12-12-2015)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't believe in hiding death from children. When adults go to great lengths to shield kids from death, that just makes it seem scary to them. By being open about it they learn that it's normal and not a big deal. Well, not that it's not a big deal but YKWIM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

zalimama  (12-12-2015)