+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've always wanted to do this but never have as it all seemed to complicated.

So when PP's say you "just boil your jars"... is it really that simple? Like as in, just stick them in a pot of boiling water? What about the lids as well? Do you need special jars? Where do you buy them from? Do you reuse the jars?

I always used to see instructions about boiling them then sticking them in the oven at x temp for y hours etc, do you not need to do this?

Have you ever opened a jar and it's failed and the food is off/mouldy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just boil the jars and lids for a good amount of time. Fish them out with long tongs. Don't touch the inside of the jars or lids. Put the hot jam into hot jars. Turn upside down and let cool. I haven't done the oven bit before and never had a problem.
    Yes I reuse jars, make sure they are screw top with a metal lid so can be resterilised.
    I have only done jam/chutney etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=CMF;8352809]I've always wanted to do this but never have as it all seemed to complicated.

So when PP's say you "just boil your jars"... is it really that simple? Like as in, just stick them in a pot of boiling water? What about the lids as well? Do you need special jars? Where do you buy them from? Do you reuse the jars?

I always used to see instructions about boiling them then sticking them in the oven at x temp for y hours etc, do you not need to do this?

Have you ever opened a jar and it's failed and the food is off/mouldy?[/

If your dishwasher has a setting that goes above- I think 70 degrees you could do that instead of boiling, I still did stick mine in the oven for a bit, as this was my first go. So just to be sure!
    Jars and lids- as its a sterilisation process, so you make sure not to touch inside the jars afterwards.

I've only done it this year, but plan to reuse my jars, I have just ordinary lids on them, I've read your not supposed to reuse them.

The lid goes in as the air is sucked out, like a store bought one, so you shouldn't be able to make that clicking/popping sound, if it isn't sealed properly it would go moldy.