+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you preserve?

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1449568043.506362.jpgI've seen this at bigw.
    Since discovering my cans could have bpa I've stayed away and thinking this might be my answer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh, that's interesting! I've been thinking about making my own sauces and preserves. Will have to go have a look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm just not sure how it works, I've looked it up on google so know the process just don't know how it keeps food good enough to eat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I do jams/marmalades/peaches/chilli sauce and stuff like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I'm just not sure how it works, I've looked it up on google so know the process just don't know how it keeps food good enough to eat
    I have this kit and love it. I do jams, chutneys, relish.
    As everything is sterilised, then vacuum sealed and super-heated in the water canning process, I guess there is no way for the food to spoil as there is no bacteria/oxygen/spores etc. and it also is dependant on the acidity of the contents. Sugar/vinegar helps to preserve the food.
    Before I bought this kit I had a complex system involving tea towels, rubber bands and long-handled tongs to stop the jars banging around in the water bath 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I do jams/marmalades/peaches/chilli sauce and stuff like that.
    I'm a bit simple! I just boil my jars, fill them with hot preserves and then turn them upside down to seal. We're eating marmalade from four years ago and it's all good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the heating process creates the seal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a bit simple! I just boil my jars, fill them with hot preserves and then turn them upside down to seal. We're eating marmalade from four years ago and it's all good!
    This is what I do too....

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what I do too Just started making things & did my first lot of jam this way. Learnt this way as a kid watching Mum, kept fruit good for ages.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is what I've been doing too, but I do the sterilisation in the oven at the end for jams just because it was my first year and I was scared, I also did some gherkins, I didn't do large amounts but I still have some jam 6mths later and it's fine.

You won't believe how easy it is! I'm never buying jam again!
    You can add all sorts of things to jams I did a cherry and rum, an apple and cinnamon, fig and quince, and blackberry, which was the most time consuming as I didn't want the little seeds in it.