+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    My brother is racist and proud, him and my sister, my aunt, cousin, bil are all against me in my challenge of their bigoted views and if I could delete them all, I would. I have unfollowed. It would be awkward to delete them but I never see them. My brother lives in another state.
    Ah. Are we secretly related? One of my brother's is the same. I cut all contact. He wasn't invited to my wedding. We play no part in each other's lives. I think that you can believe what you like, but if your beliefs hurt others- there is a line there. I just didn't want that influence around my family at all, no matter how much it may have offended. His views offended me and my values. I have no time for racist,
    Bigoted, homophobes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum always told me - when dealing with yourself, think with your head; when dealing with others, think with your heart.

It's a generalised statement but I love the sentiment (and I love my mum). And it leads me to my answer which is - I always consider others before saying/doing things. So in each individual situation I will be led differently in regards to being forthright about what I stand for.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-12-2015),cheeeeesecake  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    Ah. Are we secretly related? One of my brother's is the same. I cut all contact. He wasn't invited to my wedding. We play no part in each other's lives. I think that you can believe what you like, but if your beliefs hurt others- there is a line there. I just didn't want that influence around my family at all, no matter how much it may have offended. His views offended me and my values. I have no time for racist,
    Bigoted, homophobes.
    My brother is awful and if it wasn't for his wife who is one of my old friends, I would not keep in touch with him.

I am so tempted to delete people but would create a rift in family. I have unfollowed for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My brother is awful and if it wasn't for his wife who is one of my old friends, I would not keep in touch with him.

I am so tempted to delete people but would create a rift in family. I have unfollowed for now.
    Yeah, sometimes you just can't delete. It's about being the bigger person and all that crap.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you always stand up for what you believe in?

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Yeah, sometimes you just can't delete. It's about being the bigger person and all that crap.
    The thing is, I was doing so well ignoring it all until the "they're all towel headed c(nts who should be killed because they want to kill us" comment with likes from other relatives. I could no longer ignore but wish I did! I have unfollowed my sister whose original post sparked it all.

I guess I'm upset that people I actually know and have some connection with think this way. I hate comments I see on Facebook but when it's strangers you can kinda gloss over it but when it's family it just cuts you! Even if I never we them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The thing is, I was doing so well ignoring it all until the "they're all towel headed c(nts who should be killed because they want to kill us" comment with likes from other relatives. I could no longer ignore but wish I did! I have unfollowed my sister whose original post sparked it all.

I guess I'm upset that people I actually know and have some connection with think this way. I hate comments I see on Facebook but when it's strangers you can kinda gloss over it but when it's family it just cuts you!
    Yeah I just can't even imagine. I'd want to throat punch someone. My big drama with mum was over a "I won't say happy holidays" thing and once I pointed out how intolerant this was (in a heated way), it took her one day to come back and say sorry. I honestly don't know what I'd do. Would your DH support you? If you go the delete?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Yeah I just can't even imagine. I'd want to throat punch someone. My big drama with mum was over a "I won't say happy holidays" thing and once I pointed out how intolerant this was (in a heated way), it took her one day to come back and say sorry. I honestly don't know what I'd do. Would your DH support you? If you go the delete?
    He would. He doesn't get involved and he's not friends with my family on fb (thank god)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Racism is one of the things I do not tolerate. I will fight fiercely for that belief and do not hesitate to cut people out completely for that one. BRV it must be such a difficult situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    He would. He doesn't get involved and he's not friends with my family on fb (thank god)
    So what would the rift be? You can tell me to get stuffed and mind my own business but if you did it, if you deleted, what would the cost be?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am well practiced at holding my tongue. Racism is a tough one, especially since some of my most dearly loved friends are refugees,& racism makes me feel very angry and protective of them. I try to remember that facebook is not 'real life'.People get carried away with so much cr@p online, & believe things that arent even remotely true. Theres so much racist sh!t on facebook, based on untruths (eg, stories about a town that isnt allowed to display lights at xmas because it will 'offend the muslims'.) I tend to avoid getting into any confrontations online, & if I am finding it difficult to ignore stupid comments, I unfollow them from my news feed. In person,I would probably respectfully & gently voice my opinion to a degree,but would avoid getting into a heated argument.