+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you always stand up for what you believe in?

Even if it offends those you love?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It depends.

If it's likely to cause offence and won't matter in the long-term, I let it go.

But, if it has potential consequences, I stick to it. E.g. have asked MIL and FIL to get wc vaccine, FIL initially said yes but is now saying no, so I have said he can't come near baby until it has had its wc vacc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It depends on the issue and person. DH are pretty good with each other as we compromise on most things. On the odd occasion one of us has the stronger opinion than the other, the other person usually backs down without much fuss.

With family and friends I try to consider relationships and tension unless it's something I truly and strongly believe in and really can't consider any other view point. I think because I rarely push the point when I do it isn't an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I do. I think it's very important to be true to myself and not renege on my own principles and values. BUT if I know it's at odds with someone then I don't shove it in their face unless it gets brought up. Then I need to say something otherwise I feel I'm condoning/agreeing with what they say and I don't want people thinking that of me (thinking racism and homophobia as specific examples).
    My dad can be a bit homophobic. Some of my closest friends are gay. I feel like in those situations if I didn't call out the homophobia and say it's not ok (gently even just voicing I don't feel the same way) then I am seriously betraying my lovely friends. Almost like I'm complicit in the homophobia if I don't extract myself or say something. So yep that's why I stick by what I believe in.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A&S  (08-12-2015),Ngaiz  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the issue and context. I'm well aware that I'm not always right and just because I believe something to be true doesn't mean I'm right and others are wrong. Issues involving cruelty to others (eg homophobia, animal cruelty) I will speak out but I do alter my tone depending on who I'm speaking to eg more gentle with my elderly mother.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My belief never changes but whether I act on it or speak up depends on the situation.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (08-12-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-12-2015),Possie7  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't always speak out for what I believe in because some people aren't worth arguing with. However I will always tell my husband, some family or close friends if I think they are saying something or doing something I don't agree with because it's important that they know what I think and why I think that and I would also listen to what they have to say, as for other people- meh- their opinions don't matter so much to me, but in saying that if I see someone littering I'll say something (unless I feel like it could put me in danger!)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Possie7 For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (08-12-2015),TheGooch  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mostly yes. Sometimes I don't because I know it will be like talking to a brick wall. Things like human rights violations, child abuse, animal cruelty, racism and homophobia really p!ss me off. I also get quite annoyed when people preach stuff that they are not knowledgable on, spreading mis-information. I can't help but shoot them down! Sometimes I should probably just hold my tongue but it really irritates me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    My belief never changes but whether I act on it or speak up depends on the situation.
    This. I rarely will speak up tho and never if it will upset someone I love.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Not always. Though with family I do tend to stand up for what I believe in. If they are offend and hold a grudge then that's their problem. There are a few people in my family who tend to take things personally.

Otherwise I prefer to avoid conflict. Ie. With strangers, colleagues and friends.