+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default At my wits end :( attachment parenting advice pls

I don't have any other advice to offer on how to get your DD to sleep...

My DD doesn't sleep much during the day and I didn't realise how little she slept compared to other babies until reading posts on bub hub this afternoon / evening 😳

The advice I can offer is to stop if something isn't working. If your little DD isn't falling asleep again after waking then maybe call it quits before you both get frustrated. Forget about the nap and do something else - walk, bub on rug with toys, bub in bouncer, etc. Although bub won't get her sleep (which she probably wasn't going to get anyway), at least you both won't have gone through the frustration of trying to get her to sleep.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 08-12-2015 at 22:02.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with you hun, I'm sort of an attachment parent who has been at my wits end all year thanks to my little active boy who doesn't seem to like sleeping! You know what? If you can, have a look at The discontented baby book (stupid title, but a great book), written by a GP who basically explains why some babies don't sleep... and how it's normal. I've always co-slept, I'm totally against CIO, but I do know how you feel... I'm also a breastfeeder who just yelled out that I hate breastfeeding because my baby was stretching my nipple to oblivion and it f-en HURT 😁

I don't know if I've helped you at all. Basically, from what that book says, many babies need MORE stimulation (not less) when they are awake. As in The Continuum Concept, they will sleep when they need to sleep, do not stress...

This will pass. My bub also screamed blue murder in the car for the first seven months of his life, and now he is fine ☺️

Hugs to you ❤️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    http://www.pinkymckay.com/the-slippe...my-self-doubt/

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    THANK YOU!! Thank you, THANKYOU. I really needed to hear this. Great article xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default At my wits end :( attachment parenting advice pls

Thank you for all your kind replies.

I'm also going through some personal stress at the moment as I've been told my roles been made redundant ( 6mths into mat leave but that's another topic ). It's on my mind constantly and I think she maybe feeling that too.
    @ScubaGal. You make a valid point. DH does help as much as possible and he came home at point of crying ( me not her ) today and took over while I went and sat in my car and then went and out ate dinner on my own to unwind. Your right in that it will send you bonkers this endless task I find myself doing day in and out. It's like Ground hog day. I'll try to 'try less' tomorrow.

I also think that article @munchkin shared makes a valid point. I'm a high achiever and with the loss of my job I'm feeling insecure and paranoid in myself. Im therefore not relaxing and constantly looking for ways to improve bubs routine and be 'better' at settling, napping, sleeping, whatever.
    I got a stark realisation tho when I came home tonight. I have a beautifully happy baby that is so smiley that it's the first comment that everyone says about her. She's bright as a button and thinks I'm the best thing around, I gave her a huge hug and nearly burst into tears because I love her so much. And you know what? She looked at me and her bottom lip went to quiver too. The little angel is so in tune to how I feel that she's copying everything I'm doing. It made me realise that we have a great relationship and I should just try a bit less.

I think the Internet has a lot to answer for. Hours of endless googling telling me she should only be awake for two hours at a time and have X amount of naps and I should be feeding solids now and XYZ. Bla bla bla..

It's a lot of pressure to have as a yard stick.
    Well my baby is a bad sleeper and that's just the way it is. She's otherwise very happy.

Tomorrow I'm going to not Google anything ( or try not to! ) , go for a swim, take her also, let her sleep when she's tired, have fun with her and try not to think about work.

I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm now off to enjoy my 1.45 mins sleep before she wakes up.
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 08-12-2015 at 22:45.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    THANK YOU!! Thank you, THANKYOU. I really needed to hear this. Great article xxx
    Your welcome. I wish I found it 18 months ago

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    I'm with you hun, I'm sort of an attachment parent who has been at my wits end all year thanks to my little active boy who doesn't seem to like sleeping! You know what? If you can, have a look at The discontented baby book (stupid title, but a great book), written by a GP who basically explains why some babies don't sleep... and how it's normal. I've always co-slept, I'm totally against CIO, but I do know how you feel... I'm also a breastfeeder who just yelled out that I hate breastfeeding because my baby was stretching my nipple to oblivion and it f-en HURT 😁

I don't know if I've helped you at all. Basically, from what that book says, many babies need MORE stimulation (not less) when they are awake. As in The Continuum Concept, they will sleep when they need to sleep, do not stress...

This will pass. My bub also screamed blue murder in the car for the first seven months of his life, and now he is fine ☺️

Hugs to you ❤️
    Interesting.

She's a very bright button. Maybe I need to do even more physically with her. DH had her most of Saturday with me only dropping in to feed her. He was out all day with her and she passed out like an angel at bedtime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS and I have co slept since hosp. I did CIO with my Dd. Everything works different for each baby. His sleep is HORRIBLE! But I love our bond. I'm only just trying to get him in his cot now because he's becoming a bit too rough for my liking pinching etc.! I've been where you have been. 7-8 wakings a night 😩 I am down to two but he was sleeping through I've been slack getting it back down. I did a sleep program. Pm me if u want details it's not CIO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting.

She's a very bright button. Maybe I need to do even more physically with her. DH had her most of Saturday with me only dropping in to feed her. He was out all day with her and she passed out like an angel at bedtime.
    DH and I were discussing last night what was different on the weekend that may have contributed to miss A having 2 x 1.5hr sleeps both days. The only thing we came up with is when she woke in the morning DH took her to play for 1.5hrs so I could get more sleep then brought her to me to feed then she went off to bed.
    On weekdays I wake up so tired so I just pop her in bed next to me feed her and then she kicks around a bit while I doze. So we thought maybe she needs more activity in the morning to tire her before her nap so I'm going to try that. Worth a shot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello all. Just a short update from me.. Much the same as @gingermillie it seems the cross over of awake times from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours seems to have happened. She also seems to need a lot more physical exertion to be able to sleep.

Now I make sure that I tire her out with lots of physical exercise and keep her up for longer. It has helped no end!

Just wanted to share for anyone else who may read this 😊

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (25-12-2015),lilypily  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello all. Just a short update from me.. Much the same as @gingermillie it seems the cross over of awake times from 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours seems to have happened. She also seems to need a lot more physical exertion to be able to sleep.

Now I make sure that I tire her out with lots of physical exercise and keep her up for longer. It has helped no end!

Just wanted to share for anyone else who may read this 😊
    Awesome news @amiracle4me!! We had the BEST two weeks since DD was born. Like wow. No settling/resettling required - put in cot quick kiss and boom asleep day and night. 1.5-2hrs for all day sleeps and amazingly 10-12hrs straight every night. And she was sooooo happy every day she didn't cry for 2 whole weeks. It was out of this world - if babies are like that I can understand why people have more than 1 lol.
    Sadly it didn't last. We had to move her on the weekend into her own room as BIL is coming to stay today so we needed the spare room for him. She has not taken to the new room (flipping out, she's a sensitive little soul) and all her sleeping/settling progress has gone out the window - think waking up 5 times a night, up at 5am for the day, 30 minute day sleeps, ages to settle to sleep, crying, grizzling grumpy baby cos she's so tired. I've been tearing my hair out all week. Bought a single bed for her room so I can sleep in there with her for a while. Only solace (I think) is we know she can sleep and settle well so we're just hoping we get back there soon! I am so tired 😴

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast