+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How about letting he have day naps on your bed? Feed to sleep there and then you can get up and go about your day while she sleeps? A little bit of crying before the fall asleep is totally normal, releasing tension or something.
    Could be just a wonder week or something if she was feeding to sleep okay last week, or maybe time for a routine change?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Thanks.. We've been 1.5 for ages but she was crying even more so spreading it out seems to have lessened it.
    Ok it's just you said she looks exhausted by the time you go to put her down, which to me sounds far too late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Amiracleforme our bubs are the same age and my little DD is having a bad patch with naps too. The 5th wonder week is happening now, which may be causing irritability. I'm experimenting with awake times coz she seems to be able to stay awake a lot longer now. I think there's a narrow window somewhere between 90mins and 2hrs and i missed it today. Took me over and hr to settle her, only to have her sleep 30mins 😖. Day naps are in her cot and she starts the night in her cot and then ends up in bed with me when she first wakes around 1am.

back to your question about settling: I put DD in cot awake but calm with white noise (static) and dummy. If she starts to get upset I pick her up if patting doesn't work (usually doesn't) and calm her in my arms then put her back in the cot calm and repeat until she goes to sleep. Lately I've had to wait till she's asleep in my arms before transferring to cot or putting her in the middle of my bed with video monitor on her! I'm pretty sure it's just a rough patch we're going thru (the leap) and rolling/sitting up practice is starting too, which can make settling harder.

also I usually feed her after she wakes up instead just before she goes to sleep as she's a chucker. Maybe your DD is too full to settle comfortably if you're feeding her just before bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Ok it's just you said she looks exhausted by the time you go to put her down, which to me sounds far too late.
    Yeah she is exhausted. It was either try at 1.5 and have a load of crying due to her not being tired enough or wait 2-2,5 and have less crying but take an hour to go to sleep. Pretty much whatever I do has the same end result. It's hard to get her to sleep 😞

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Some thoughts while I'm thinking about this and there are a few threads on the same thing:

I've noticed lately for DS that his awake time varies through the day.

When he first wakes up, he's pretty ready for that first nap after an hour or hour and a half - nowhere near the 2-2.5 that the Internet says.

Later in the day he can go longer but I find if I wait too long in the morning it gets much harder to put him down.

I've been experimenting with trying to feed him to sleep when we basically run out of things to do and as soon as he gets a bit "back archy" but before any crying or rubbing eyes.

Also, if we've had a hard time getting naps he often wants to go to bed earlier.

So I think there's no magic rule of awake time that you can set a clock to.

2. I'm a big believer in giving up when things aren't working for you.

Sometimes at night, particularly last week when DS was sick he would wake up fully in the middle of the night, really unhappy. I literally couldn't stand staying in the bedroom in the dark with the white noise on with him, it was making me a bit mental.

So i would give up trying to get him to sleep and go watch tv with him.

Likewise, if I try to put him down for a nap and he goes through the drowsy stage and doesn't go to sleep, I give up and take him out to the backyard to look at trees or put him in his pram or whatever.

It stops me feeling bonkers from all the trying. I honestly think that a lot of feeling stressed comes from the trying trying trying and it not working.

So I'm a big fan of my activity centre, high chair, ergo, bouncer, pram, car - anything to change it up when I'm getting exhausted and sleep isn't happening.

3. I also inadvertently had an experiment over the weekend with DH being in charge of all three naps because I needed time to apply for a new job. I realised that normally I just carry on doing it all even when he is home because he isn't paying attention to whether DS needs a sleep.

But this means I'm doing all the sleep settling all week long. So I think there's something to be said for maybe making that a dad job during the day on Saturdays and Sunday's. Too bad if dad has social stuff planned, tell him it's that or you start shaving your head like britney.

I found that having a break from the trying, made the nights easier to cope with. It didn't matter that DS didn't sleep that well with DH doing it - but I felt better going into the evenings not being so worn out. And I had missed cuddling DS to sleep.

That's all I can think of for the moment. You know what the options are for sleep training so perhaps focus on coping methods until you're either ready to try some kind of sleep training or she grows out of it.

I suspect like every month so far, it'll change up again soon.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-12-2015),Mambo  (29-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    @amiracle4me looks like it's the day for it hey 😢
    I don't have an issue getting mine to sleep. I had a sleep consultant out a few months ago and our going to bed routine works to get her to sleep. If I'm home all sleeps are in her cot - she too doesn't like co-sleeping. Dark room, white noise up loud (rainfall sounds), wrap or love to dream swaddle, quick cuddle say sleepy time A and pop in cot. Awake. Time it right - 1.5-2.5hrs awake time depending on time of day and previous sleeps, tired signs etc. at the advice of child health nurse we put large rubber wheels on the cot and if she's unsettled we push the cot back and forth and while doing that she generally calms. If she's calm I then leave her to put herself to sleep. If not I continue to push the cot til she's very drowsy or asleep. This is the only settling method other than feeding to sleep that works for us. We just screwed the wheels into the legs of the cot. Big big hugs. I totally lost it today. I know we both went through the ivf roller coaster which adds another dimension. PM me if you need to chat xo
    Wheels. Genius. I believe this would work for my DS. Definitely needs to be experimented with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some of what your saying seems like she is getting to the overtired stage and there may also be something else bothering her, like wind? I was doing this exact thing with my ds at a similar age. But I now also realise that ds was also a very alert baby that was generally hard to settle and still is, there is a pinky mckay article that covers this, I see if I can find it and will post it.

What I found to work is making sure that ds has time to wind down before sleeping. This meant going into his room for the feed before sleep, I made sure it was darkened and there were no distractions, gave him his feed and burp, then cuddled to sleep in the feeding chair, using some kind of white noise or lullaby really helped. I found if I was calm and less anxious about him going to sleep or how tired he was or how much he was crying it really made a difference as to how long it took for him to settle. Humming a lullaby helped with this, a great tip I learnt from sleep school.

It's hard this sleep thing!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Wheels. Genius. I believe this would work for my DS. Definitely needs to be experimented with.
    Works for us! She can be really unsettled push the cot back and forth calms down, stop and cue crying/squirming until you start again so it does really calm her. With white noise on It's my version of shush-pat 😀 got the wheels at bunnings large rubber ones which hold the weight of the cot nicely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    Some of what your saying seems like she is getting to the overtired stage and there may also be something else bothering her, like wind? I was doing this exact thing with my ds at a similar age. But I now also realise that ds was also a very alert baby that was generally hard to settle and still is, there is a pinky mckay article that covers this, I see if I can find it and will post it.

What I found to work is making sure that ds has time to wind down before sleeping. This meant going into his room for the feed before sleep, I made sure it was darkened and there were no distractions, gave him his feed and burp, then cuddled to sleep in the feeding chair, using some kind of white noise or lullaby really helped. I found if I was calm and less anxious about him going to sleep or how tired he was or how much he was crying it really made a difference as to how long it took for him to settle. Humming a lullaby helped with this, a great tip I learnt from sleep school.

It's hard this sleep thing!

http://www.pinkymckay.com/the-slippe...my-self-doubt/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default At my wits end :( attachment parenting advice pls

My son had EVERY single day sleep on me. We would get comfy and I rocked him on our recliner and when we was out I popped the foot rest out pushed back, grabbed a blanket, and went to sleep for 2 hours with him on me. He hated the cot. Then we got a double bed when he was 2 and I lay beside him every night to fall asleep. Maybe just try that? Or just drive around until asleep, park the car, aircon on and go to sleep in the car. Did that heaps of times. Done it in the middle of the night also and slept in the car in my driveway all night. Basically you do what works.