+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gated communities

Hi - we are thinking about moving to a gated community and wondering what the pros / cons were? Has anyone out there lived in a one?

My concerns are that it might be a bit 'unsociable' and it would be a PITA letting visitors, tradies, couriers in.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    what state are you in? I wish Melbourne had gated communities (that I am aware of anyway). I'd love to live in one!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We have family that live in one and I think they're great. They usually have great facilities and the added security definitely gives piece of mind. If I could afford to I'd love to live in one.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    what state are you in? I wish Melbourne had gated communities (that I am aware of anyway). I'd love to live in one!!!
    I'm on the Sunshine Coast. I don't think they are common in Queensland. We weren't specially looking to live in one but there is one nearby on the beach with land for sale. We would like to build a house and good land is hard to come by so thought I'd investigate

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have. It has it's pros and cons. Good facilities and security.
    Downside is body corporate and people who don't follow the rules.

Honestly. ..although I still like the idea of it I wouldn't live in one again. Ours ended up with lots of people who rented who didn't follow body corporate , a manager who didn't enforce the rules etc.

So it really depends. Ours was freehold land but the community living. I didn't mind the gate and letting people in etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    My concerns are that it might be a bit 'unsociable' and it would be a PITA letting visitors, tradies, couriers in.
    Depending on the individual community - I often find visitor parking is an absolute nightmare (or non-existent).

Paramedic friend absolutely hates them as it's quite difficult to a) get in and b) find the correct house, as well as the roads being very narrow for the emergency service vehicles.

We ran into issues when the intercom system in our gated complex (maybe 25 units) broke and Body Corporate never fixed it - would hate for that to happen in an entire community.