+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Home phototherapy for jaundiced newborns

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any experience with home phototherapy for jaundiced newborns?

My 3yo developed quite a bad case when he was 3/4 days old and he had to be re-admitted for phototherapy. It was a pretty traumatic 36hrs and I was only allowed to hold and BF him for 20 min every 4hrs 😒

I'm expecting #2 and I'm anticipating bub will need the same treatment (given my Asian heritage) - so I'm looking for either hospitals in Sydney that have Biliblankets (which allow skin to skin contact and will facilitate longer BFing) or a midwifery group practice that has home phototherapy available.

I'm based near Blacktown in Sydney but happy to travel and would love to hear from anyone who has done home phototherapy (or knows where I can rent a unit - this is common in the U.S. and UK but seems non-existent here)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure about what happens in Sydney, but it's not uncommon for some of our mildly jaundiced babies (public) to will be discharged home with a biliblanket. The bubs are either visited by the home care midwives or the MGP midwife. The jaundice will have to be mild however for this to work. If baby needs double lights then they will be required to be in hospital. Are you planning to breastfeed? You could consider some antenatal expression so you have some EBM up your sleeve to give baby top ups if feeding becomes an issue. Most jaundice will clear up quicker if baby is feeding well as it helps flush out the excess bilirubin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I gave birth at RPA and was discharged the same day (through the birth centre).

When the midwife came over the next day DD was jaundiced. She organised a biliblanket for us and we got to keep her at home - albeit wrapped in the blanket.

From what I could gather they only had two or three blankets and it was the luck of the draw. Had there joy been a blanket spare we would have had to go back to hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Also, you could always ask the hospital to take cord blood at birth to check baby's blood group. That way if there are any concerns about ABO incompatibility they will have a heads up. They won't treat with phototherapy unless baby actually needs it, so using a biliblanket "just in case" won't be advised (at least I've never seen it done...).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone very useful information

I do plan to breastfeed and some antenatal expressing is on the cards (with #1 I had no idea what to expect, this time I'm planning to purchase a SNS just in case I need to do formula top ups in SCN).

It's hard to find out which hospitals even have Biliblankets available (I've calls the MW MGP at 2 hospitals and they had no idea what I was talking about).