+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I started SOS today as we were both starting to loose it with no sleep. It has gone good so far. I had dabbled in it when DD was about 2 months old but at the time decided it wasn't for us. Now DD is 6.5 months old I'm comfortable with trying again. We all do what we need to do to get by. Unfortunately it has come to this. I was hoping it wouldn't but so be it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-01-2016),nh2489  (11-01-2016),VicPark  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    @gingermillie maybe the MCHN meant she was being fed too often including the night feeds?

Which CYH did you go to? Have you picked up any valuable tips or were they able to get her to sleep any differently throughout the day?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    @gingermillie maybe the MCHN meant she was being fed too often including the night feeds?

Which CYH did you go to? Have you picked up any valuable tips or were they able to get her to sleep any differently throughout the day?
    The one I saw last week said I need to give solids before breastfeed as otherwise she won't be interested in solids. Then said 'she's not going to starve if you don't feed her look at her'. She's 6 months old and just in size 00 in the past month. Today it was that I feed too much for her to want solids.
    Anyway I was at Marion today last time edwardstown. As I had already done day service a few months ago we didn't get much out of it apart from talking things through but only really went as it was a prerequisite for getting into torrens house. The nurse today said we are doing everything right everything they would suggest so the intensive day/night observation at torrens house would suit us to pinpoint where things are going askew.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I'm not trying to dismiss you @gingermillie. My kids have had their ups and downs. Yes I went thru a phase of waking every 40min for 3mths. I've fed to sleep, cuddled, rocked, walked the pram, driven etc. I've never encouraged self settling till after 2-3yo.

Trust me I've been there!! But if you step back and look at what's actually the normal for babies (normal for the whole world not just US/Aus where sleep training dominates) you realise that THIS is normal.

It's not you. It's not your parenting. THIS is how babies are.
    I know your intentions are very good and I really appreciate your comments when I've asked for help. I'm fragile at the moment and things like this hit a nerve for me. It's definitely more to do with me but that doesn't change my feelings of inadequacy, incompetence and inferiority when I hear that everyone else goes through this and copes fine. Because I'm not coping and it just reinforces how crap I am at this when I can't handle it but seemingly everyone else can 😢 it makes me feel like the abnormal one because I can't handle my 'normal baby' who takes ages to get to sleep, wakes up 5-6 times a night with a 2hr crying awake stint, up early and who doesn't respond to any of the usual settling methods people suggest (shush-pat, co-sleeping etc) and can often be an exhausting grumpy bum during the day. I need help to cope, I'm working on getting that help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I started SOS today as we were both starting to loose it with no sleep. It has gone good so far. I had dabbled in it when DD was about 2 months old but at the time decided it wasn't for us. Now DD is 6.5 months old I'm comfortable with trying again. We all do what we need to do to get by. Unfortunately it has come to this. I was hoping it wouldn't but so be it.
    Sorry to hear you're struggling too. I hope SOS works for you and things settle down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    At day service now and second MCHN has told me I BF too much. They said same at my appt last week. Seriously wtf. They really push the solids line, my mantra is food before 1 is just for fun. They say she's not taking solids as 'she's been breastfed too much'. Nod and ignore. Nod and ignore. Sigh. FWIW she was born at 15th centile for weight she quickly got up to 50th and has stayed there for 4 months. Her growth is stable she is not fed too much geez. She is 5.5 months corrected I don't think solids are a massive issue yet.
    I might be shot here however I don't believe in the mantra food before 1 is just for fun. I think it's unrealistic to expect a bub to survive mainly on milk until the age of 1. If bub is hungry and if bub is waking through the night bub *may* need more solids. May not, by may do. My point is don't stick to a parenting philosophy when it comes to feeding your child.

- I'm not so sure the MCHN nurse advice should be discarded. Multiple night milk feeds could be negatively impacting solid intake during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a PND screen again today and my score was 12. 13+ suggests PND so they said mine was borderline. I don't believe I have PND. I believe it is situational because I'm tired and floundering. At 6 months in I thought I'd be much more on top of things than I am. When she was going through her good sleeping phase (and therefore happy, easygoing baby) I felt like I could do anything and had it all together. Now ive had a few tough weeks I've crumbled again. The only thing getting me through is DH being on holidays but he's back at work next week and then I'm on my own 6am-5pm plus overnight. He does a lot of country driving with his job so I can't risk him being too tired for work so overnights I try to handle on my own unless desperate. I have zero other help. Hoping in the next couple of weeks I get back on track and into a rhythm again. Til the next road bump anyway.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-01-2016),VicPark  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I might be shot here however I don't believe in the mantra food before 1 is just for fun. I think it's unrealistic to expect a bub to survive mainly on milk until the age of 1. If bub is hungry and if bub is waking through the night bub *may* need more solids. May not, by may do. My point is don't stick to a parenting philosophy when it comes to feeding your child.

- I'm not so sure the MCHN nurse advice should be discarded. Multiple night milk feeds could be negatively impacting solid intake during the day.
    I'm trying to stick to max 2 feeds overnight. She's only 5 months corrected so I don't think not having enough solids is the main issue but I have taken on board that we need to work harder and give her 2 good opportunities at solids each day and build to 3 and introduce proteins in a few weeks. I do think the residential program can help us with this too.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine?

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I'm not trying to dismiss you @gingermillie. My kids have had their ups and downs. Yes I went thru a phase of waking every 40min for 3mths. I've fed to sleep, cuddled, rocked, walked the pram, driven etc. I've never encouraged self settling till after 2-3yo.

Trust me I've been there!! But if you step back and look at what's actually the normal for babies (normal for the whole world not just US/Aus where sleep training dominates) you realise that THIS is normal.

It's not you. It's not your parenting. THIS is how babies are.
    I get where you are coming from. And agree to some extent. However I feel I need to highlight that unless there are medical issues then whether a bub (especially an older bub) sleeps through is very much correlated with what the parents do (in terms of feeding and settling techniques). There are gentle things a parent can do to *help* prevent catnapping and to help a bub sleep through - if that is what they wish to do.

Yes it may be 'normal' for a bub to wake frequently. It's also normal (and acceptable!) for a parent to use their adult developed noggen to implement techniques (that align with their parenting philosophy) to help their bub sleep. Sleep is good. Happy bub, happy mum, happy bub.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default 5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine?

OP: best of luck with the residential school. Will
    No Doubt add more tricks to your parenting tool-belt even if you don't implement everything they suggest.

To help with the tired-ness etc can you put bub in care a day a week? Or get a home helper for a couple of half days? Or sleep during the day and just let the housework go to crap? Or get a cleaner?

The sucky newborn period will be over soon. Hang in there. Don't worry about anything other than feeding yourself and bub and sleeping. Everything else can wait for the time being xx

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-01-2016),gingermillie  (12-01-2016)