+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It could just be her having a regression. This might sound awful but that behaviour is within normal limits. I've got 3 kids and all mine have done that stupid sleep from time to time. I was up with my 14wk old 6 times last night. When last week she was sleeping 7-6.

Babies do weird stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And solids never helped sleep. Solids contain less calories per me/gm than bm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    It could just be her having a regression. This might sound awful but that behaviour is within normal limits. I've got 3 kids and all mine have done that stupid sleep from time to time. I was up with my 14wk old 6 times last night. When last week she was sleeping 7-6.

Babies do weird stuff.
    Yes at 14 weeks I could handle that but 6 months in I am beyond exhausted and waking every 2hrs is unsustainable. For me anyway. it is putting me on the slippery PND slope.
    At day service now and second MCHN has told me I BF too much. They said same at my appt last week. Seriously wtf. They really push the solids line, my mantra is food before 1 is just for fun. They say she's not taking solids as 'she's been breastfed too much'. Nod and ignore. Nod and ignore. Sigh. FWIW she was born at 15th centile for weight she quickly got up to 50th and has stayed there for 4 months. Her growth is stable she is not fed too much geez. She is 5.5 months corrected I don't think solids are a massive issue yet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Yes at 14 weeks I could handle that but 6 months in I am beyond exhausted and waking every 2hrs is unsustainable. For me anyway. it is putting me on the slippery PND slope.
    At day service now and second MCHN has told me I BF too much. They said same at my appt last week. Seriously wtf. They really push the solids line, my mantra is food before 1 is just for fun. They say she's not taking solids as 'she's been breastfed too much'. Nod and ignore. Nod and ignore. Sigh. FWIW she was born at 15th centile for weight she quickly got up to 50th and has stayed there for 4 months. Her growth is stable she is not fed too much geez. She is 5.5 months corrected I don't think solids are a massive issue yet.
    I've noticed that health professionals especially health nurses are very interested in stretching out feeds and believe it's the key to better sleeping. I think you're doing fine with regards to the feeding, I agree that some babies are better suited to blw and at the start they don't eat that much as its not possible for them to chew bits small enough. But before long you will be amazed how much she does actually eat at her than just mush up so don't be put off. Personally I don't see the issue with too much feeding unless you are feeding to sleep and it's just a sleep aid rather than baby feeling hungry.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hope it goes well at sleep service today and they are able to provide some useful help. You must be just so exhausted.

It was drilled into me at antenatal classes to BF on demand and slowly introduce solids from 6 months. I'm also miffed at what the MCHN has said to you.

My fingers are crossed for you and your DD today xxxx

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I disagree with stretching out feeds. I feed my baby 1-2holy and she is the world's crappiest day sleeper as my big girls wake her up constantly but most nights she sleeps 7.30-7am with a 5.30/6am feed. My eldest was the same.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not trying to dismiss you @gingermillie. My kids have had their ups and downs. Yes I went thru a phase of waking every 40min for 3mths. I've fed to sleep, cuddled, rocked, walked the pram, driven etc. I've never encouraged self settling till after 2-3yo.

Trust me I've been there!! But if you step back and look at what's actually the normal for babies (normal for the whole world not just US/Aus where sleep training dominates) you realise that THIS is normal.

It's not you. It's not your parenting. THIS is how babies are.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (11-01-2016),gingermillie  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey gingermillie, sorry to hear you're still having a hard time. What you described as last night's wake ups sound just like my night, only my baby is 15 months, and that is a very normal night for him.
    So I kind of agree with Rose&Aurelia&Hannah that this is normal. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't try and change it if you feel you need to. I have been sleep deprived for so long now that it kind of feels like my normal state, but I remember how desperate for sleep I was with my first baby, and I think that it is great that you're going to get some help and I'm hoping for some better sleep for you (and me too) soon.
    With the breastfeeding vs solids thing, I don't know what the answer is, but I do know that you can't get them to eat anymore than they want to, my 3 have breastfed on all different routines, DS1 2 hourly, DD 4 hourly, DS2 about 3 hourly and they were all pretty much the same sleep wise. DS1 was a great eater of solids, DS2 I did BLW with and he's only very recently started eating decent amounts at 15 months- and this hasn't really changed his sleep at all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck with the sleep school. It's definitely the route I would chose to take. Whilst any sleep training can be really hard and we are made to feel selfish for not giving our babies what they want to sleep, it has to be weighed up with how it's affecting our overall well being. I think it's fantastic if people can survive on very little sleep, or find a way to happily co sleep, but for some of us those options don't work. Like you @gingermillie I just couldn't co sleep, our bed was too small so I ended up twisted at an awkward angle thus killing my back, same goes for trying to feed lying down so would still have to sit up for feeding, I would worry constantly about baby falling off bed etc etc. So for me I never got anymore sleep on the occasions I tried co sleeping.
    And of course I feel like I'm a terrible mother for sleep training my children as I'm forever reading Facebook posts and Internet articles about the longterm psychological damage I've caused but I have to keep reminding myself that I wasn't being a great mum. I was resenting my babies for the lack of sleep, getting annoyed with them when they wouldn't sleep and would be screaming hysterically in my arms as they were overtired but refusing to sleep, and I was losing my temper and snapping at them frequently. You need to do what's best to keep you sane. We all realise it's normal for babies to do what they do but it doesn't mean we have to just live with it if it's affecting us and our babies negatively. It's not easy but I'm sure you will find the help you are looking for with the sleep school and it will make a huge difference. X

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (11-01-2016),gingermillie  (11-01-2016),PinkPopsicle  (11-01-2016),wobbleyhorse  (11-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Best of luck with it all. I struggled with my DS who had similar waking patterns to your DD in your recent post. I was so tired, DS wouldn't co-sleep, I was struggling at work and honestly, I probably shouldn't have been driving I was so tired. I wish I got some help before he was 13 months old.

Getting help (through a sleep consultant) saved me - DS was happier and it worked for our family. My DD is 7 months at the moment and I will be getting help in a flash if I start to feel things go the same way.

On a side note, when I was looking for help with my DS, the MCHN thought I was over feeding etc as well but even once I night weaned, dropped day feeds etc he never increased his solids intake and still at 4yrs old is a very small eater while DD eats like a pro at 7months - sometimes gobbles more than me. It's so individual it and like you I believe food before one is all about experimenting and exploring for bubs.

Best wishes!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (11-01-2016),nh2489  (11-01-2016)