5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine? | Page 3 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine?

Hugs! That sounds like a frustrating day. Don't worry we've all yelled at our poor babies at some stage, good news is she won't remember๐Ÿ˜€.
    Please re-read what ScubaGal said about looking after yourself, very important!
    Some babies catnap like that for months and nothing you try to do will change it, sometimes you just have to go with it.
    But based on the sleep times from today, I would try 2hrs15 mins awake time tomorrow and see how that goes and then increase by 15mins from there to see if she will sleep longer. A good thing to do is when it is almost sleep time but you want to stretch them out a bit longer is a walk outside in the garden, very calming.
    Another thing to think about is overstimulation. Some babies are really sensitive to it. With my first baby I always had the TV on in the background, and didn't realise for a long time that even though he wasn't watching it, it seemed to make him overstimulated. Also shopping centres are bad, my 14 month old struggled big time if we spent a couple of hours at the shopping centre.
    And mine all had long awake times in the afternoon, hopefully you will get a good stretch of sleep tonight!
    Hang in there, it gets easier, I promise!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-12-2015),nh2489  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It truly sounds like the 4mth sleep regression. Your bub was 1mth early?

Hugs. It does pass. And unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm not trying to rile you up but what happens if you just roll with her? Just do what she wants to do? You know, just let her sleep, feed, sleep on you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Hugs! That sounds like a frustrating day. Don't worry we've all yelled at our poor babies at some stage, good news is she won't remember๐Ÿ˜€.
    Please re-read what ScubaGal said about looking after yourself, very important!
    Some babies catnap like that for months and nothing you try to do will change it, sometimes you just have to go with it.
    But based on the sleep times from today, I would try 2hrs15 mins awake time tomorrow and see how that goes and then increase by 15mins from there to see if she will sleep longer. A good thing to do is when it is almost sleep time but you want to stretch them out a bit longer is a walk outside in the garden, very calming.
    Another thing to think about is overstimulation. Some babies are really sensitive to it. With my first baby I always had the TV on in the background, and didn't realise for a long time that even though he wasn't watching it, it seemed to make him overstimulated. Also shopping centres are bad, my 14 month old struggled big time if we spent a couple of hours at the shopping centre.
    And mine all had long awake times in the afternoon, hopefully you will get a good stretch of sleep tonight!
    Hang in there, it gets easier, I promise!
    Thank you, yes I'm really careful with overstimulation as she doesn't cope well with it. She had a 2hr 15 awake time in the middle of the day today and still only had a 35 minute nap so I'm at a loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    It truly sounds like the 4mth sleep regression. Your bub was 1mth early?

Hugs. It does pass. And unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it.

I'm not trying to rile you up but what happens if you just roll with her? Just do what she wants to do? You know, just let her sleep, feed, sleep on you.
    She does rule this roost lol. Do you mean wait til she shows tired and hungry signs rather than offering her breast/ putting her to bed after a certain awake time?
    She won't sleep on me anymore. If she did I'd love it. She stopped about 6-8 weeks ago.
    She was a month early so meeting some milestones based on birth date but tracking closer to due date on most.
    I might try her in bed with me tonight when she wakes up. I love snuggles with her but she doesn't usually sleep well with me but I'll try.
    During the day I watch for tired signs or put her down at around the 2hr mark and she always goes to sleep within 5-10 minutes with minimal fuss if I keep to those times. Days like today where she slept less than 2hrs all day she ends up miserable by the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have no advice but following as I'm in the same boat with my 5 month old... It's so tough. Please know you're not alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    That's fine I only offered to share my experiences as you had mentioned that you were considering cio. I know it's not for everybody, I was close to tears when I read your comment about babies thinking you won't come as I have battled with my decision this time and shed many tears along the way, but sitting here now with both my boys asleep within minutes of putting them in their cots with not a murmur from either makes me realise that for me and my family it works. I couldn't cope anymore and was not a particularly nice mother especially with my toddler during the day as I was losing my temper so easily due to utter exhaustion and despair. But I'm not here to debate whether to use training or not, each to their own, I respect anyone who can give their baby the love and attention they want overnight as of course it only natural for a baby to desire mummy, sadly I couldn't find a way to do that and function during the day. I hope you find something that helps. I don't know where you live but are their any sleep centres you could contact? For example in sydney there is tresillian and I know they don't believe in cc or cio but use other settling techniques. @gingermillie did you not have a sleep consultation when your baby when younger? Could you contact them again for further help and advice? X
    It's all good. No judgement here. We all have to do whatever we have to do to keep sane. I may come back to you in a few weeks. You never know!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    She does rule this roost lol. Do you mean wait til she shows tired and hungry signs rather than offering her breast/ putting her to bed after a certain awake time? .
    Yes.

I find it more stressful to watch for signs, and timing naps vs just rolling with it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So an update for tonight. DH got home at 9pm with flowers and ice cream (had meltdown on the phone to him in the arvo). Lovely man. She wakes at 9:15pm like clockwork. I said we have 3 choices:
    1. Let her cry for a bit and see what happens
    2. Try to resettle
    3. Feed her straight away
    He decides to try and resettle. I said the cry she was doing (and has done at that first wake up the past couple of weeks) is almost like a half asleep-not really awake cry like she's woken up needs to go back to sleep but needs help. So he resettles her and she slept til 2am! Awesomeness.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (09-12-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (09-12-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine?

So an update for tonight. DH got home at 9pm with flowers and ice cream (had meltdown on the phone to him in the arvo). Lovely man. She wakes at 9:15pm like clockwork. I said we have 3 choices:
    2. Try to resettle
    He decides to try and resettle. I said the cry she was doing (and has done at that first wake up the past couple of weeks) is almost like a half asleep-not really awake cry like she's woken up needs to go back to sleep but needs help. So he resettles her and she slept til 2am! Awesomeness.
    Yay!!
    And your DH is lovely for bringing you flowers and ice cream ๐Ÿ˜Š

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellyk77 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (09-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    2. Try to resettle
    And blow me down with a feather I fed her at 2am and back to sleep til 8am. WTF? So she slept 6pm to 8am with a resettle just after 9pm and 20 minute feed at 2am. Wow. I certainly don't expect that every night but some decent sleep was just delicious.
    Only thing is I wrapped her arms down ๐Ÿ˜ I didn't think it made a difference as she still woke at 9 but maybe it did or maybe the resettle 'reset' her.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (09-12-2015),nh2489  (09-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-12-2015)