5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine?

Hi all, as many of you would have realized I haven't really taken to motherhood like a duck to water. Combine my ineptitude with a 'difficult' baby (sorry darling girl but you are!) and 5 months in I'm still swimming. Not drowning at least but still trying to keep my head above water. I need help.
    So some background miss A is 5 months + 1 week. She was 1 month prem and only 2.6kg at birth. Now a whopping 6.9kg exclusively breast fed. She has reflux and is on 10mg losec suspension daily. Last week I dropped it to 8mg to see if we could wean off but within a few days she was back to super-grumpy-can't-be-put-down baby so upped it and she's happy again. Went through 4-6 weeks of reflux hell until she started losec.
    She sleeps in her cot and is easy to settle to sleep. Hard part is keeping her asleep. We use white noise, no dummy (she refused thank god for small mercies). I'm in a bit of a mess about her sleeping and feeding. I've always 'offered' to feed rather than going by time or her demanding. So I'll generally offer twice in each awake period to try and feed her up to help her nap. This results in her feeding every 1.5-2hrs during the day. I wonder if it would be better to start stretching day feeds, larger feeds less often instead of smaller more frequent feeds?
    She was sleeping well at night waking 1-2 times. One night she even went 12hrs wow. But usually she was waking between 12-2 and 4-5am. Past few weeks she's waking every 3hrs overnight to be fed and it's starting to take its toll on me. She doesn't like co-sleeping so that's not a solution. Is there any way I can get her back to having one big stretch of sleep? She was consistently doing 6-8hrs then 4-5 and now it's 3hrs. Ugh.
    Next issue is catnapping. I have a feeling this is all feeding into each other. Last week she had ONE nap for the whole week that was longer than 45 minutes. Combine the night wakings with her not sleeping during the day and I'm getting a very short fuse. I've tried resettling for half an hour (just gets me so wound up and frustrated), leaving her to settle back to sleep. Longer wake times, shorter wake times. She self settles to sleep most times so it's not an issue of being fed or rocked to sleep but nothing seems to work. Incidentally she's just woken after 40 minutes. Grrrr.
    We don't have a 'routine' she naturally wakes between 7-7:30 and goes to bed 6:30-7pm with shower, feed, bed at night. Her awake times are generally 2hrs. Due to the catnapping there's no set nap times. Do I need to start a more rigid routine?
    She's not on solids. Not ready yet - I've tried a couple of times. She's only 19 weeks by due date so I'm not fussed will keep trying over the next month or two.
    The other issue is she absolutely refuses a bottle. I feel like giving her to someone for a week to sort all this out then getting her back ๐Ÿ˜ข
    So please, any advice on what to do with her day feeding schedule, catnapping and reducing night feeds?? I'm not a cry it out person but by golly at her third wake up overnight I did think about it ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I'm meant to go back to work 1 day a week from home in 2 months. I can't fathom that with this tiredness. Thanks lovely hubbers ๐Ÿ˜˜

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, this sounds like 4 month sleep regression to me. Sounds just like all 3 of my children.
    I think your thinking is on the right track, a firm sleep/ feeding routine during the day at this age helps. I think 2 sleeps 1 nap is good, sometimes you can push past those first tired signs now, push the awake time a bit longer- this is the only thing that got my babies to sleep longer than a catnap (although I think some babies can get overtired and this will make things worse).
    Good luck.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-12-2015),nh2489  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @gingermillie. I'm not sure I can offer much advice but just wanted to say you are not alone and to me it sounds like your baby may be going through a sleep regression. Mine went through similar things at 4 months so maybe because she was a premmie she is going through it slightly later. He was the same in that he had started having a long 5-6 hour stretch of sleep at the beginning of the night, then another feed early morning. Then it all gradually went downhill to the point he was waking and feeding every 1-2 hours. When you read about why they go through a 4 month regression it all makes a lot of sense, ie they start having lighter sleep which means they wake more and often need some help getting back to sleep.
    I think you are on the right track in that she self settles to sleep and doesn't have any sleep aids. Hopefully with time she might be able to resettle when she wakes a bit easier but maybe for a while she needs a bit of help. The only advice I would give would be to try to use other ways to resettle rather than feeding everytime as I think that how we got into our bad situation. Again my baby doesn't seem to show signs of hunger, I just feed him when I think he needs it and I'm sure he just likes the comfort at night rather than waking hungry.
    Day sleeps I think are always a challenge! I'm pulling my hair out right now as I can only get baby to sleep for 30-40 mins at a time and that's usually only in the pram so it involves lots of walks! We did start some sleep training a few weeks ago so I'm having to resist using other ways to get him to sleep as I don't want to send him mixed messages. My view is that although he's still or ready to go to sleep happily in his cot during the day if he can sleep without me even if it's in his pushchair that's a huge leap for us. I'm happy to accept that it's going to take time and just concentrate on small milestones.
    So I'm pretty much saying that I would advice you to keep doing what you're doing in terms of giving her the option to try and self settle for a few minutes and if I were you and would resist using sleep aids such as feeding to get her back to sleep. It's easy to say but I think you've managed really way until now and it would be a shame if she regressed and started relying on you more as I agree that for some people co sleeping is not an option so you all need to find a way of sleeping better.
    I think if you read books etc the main thing that will probably help is getting into more of a routine. I know tresillian thinks stretching out feeds is very important for sleep training but like you I've not managed to really do this especially when baby takes short catnaps it's hard to time feeds properly around these. If she's your only baby and you have the opportunity to spend time trying to get into a routine maybe look into that and set aside some time to work on that and see if that naturally improves sleep patterns?
    Good luck xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and the bottle thing, mine never took a bottle at this age either. My first I eventually got to take a bottle, no. 2 and 3, I just had to be tied to them a bit until they could use a sippy cup (9-10 months-ish). If you really need to though they usually will take a bottle after lots and lots of trying (best to get someone else to try, if it is you they will only want to be bf'd).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many of the ladies in my mothers group have been experiencing this over the past few weeks with their bubs who are a similar age to your DD. They were calling it sleep regression. Sorry I don't have much more info than that!

My DD went through a phase of waking during the night a few weeks ago but she was teething and it was obvious that she was in pain. The mysterious 'sleep regression' sounds more like what you are describing.

I hope her sleep improves soon and you can get some well deserved rest xxx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just re-reading your post and wondering if stretching out the 'awake time' during the day for maybe 3 hrs might help the day naps increase in duration.

My DD also doesn't really have a set routine, I feed on demand and sometimes she falls asleep after a feed in which case I put her in the cot and call it a nap lol. I'm thinking about how long she's awake for at a time at its probably more like 3-4 hrs. She catnaps after too so maybe I shouldn't be offering advice

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 month old sleeping and feeding issues - do I need a routine?

Sorry me again! In regards to setting a routine, in the next month I'm planning on writing down feed times, nap times, nap durations, etc for a week or two, analysing the data and making a 'routine' out of it to give to DD's daycare. Something similar might help if you're wanting to start a routine for your DD but not wanting to push her into fitting into what a textbook says.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 08-12-2015 at 11:36.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (11-01-2016),gingermillie  (08-12-2015),nh2489  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your baby sounds perfectly normal even tho you may feel like a zombie.

Both my girls have done that (one woke every 40min overnight for 3mths!) And I'm not expecting #3 (9wks to be any different).

Weight has nothing to do with # of feeds. My 9wk old is almost 7kg and feeds 1-2hrly. Its summer, they get hot and thirsty and need more feeds as BM is both food AND drink.

IMO - do what the earlier poster said. Write down what your dd does and work with that. What my baby does is completely irrelevant to what your baby may do.

Both my older girls were catnappers (in cot) till 6/7mths during the day but moved to solid 2-3hr sleeps after they started crawling. They slept well in the pram and on me.

ETA- in my house - feed/play/feed/sleep works. Also to get mine to sleep 2-3hrs during the day I babywear them. Guaranteed to work.

ETA#2- if you find yourself getting frustrated, just give up, take bub and go watch some trashy tv together. Life is way more important than watching the clock.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 08-12-2015 at 11:57.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-01-2016),gingermillie  (08-12-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-12-2015),nh2489  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think what you've described sounds perfectly normal. My DS wakes every 2.5-3 hours overnight and feeds. I don't expect it to change for another few months really...

My suggestion is focus instead on what you can do to help you cope, rather than focusing on changing the baby.

My suggestions are: go to bed for the first stretch so you at least get more overall time to sleep.

Visit your local pool or gym once or twice a week and pop bubba in the crรจche so you can have a swim/workout.

Get yourself a massage.

I find it a bit easier to cope when the house is tidy, the dinners are cooked and I've got clean sheets on the bed so a cleaner if you can afford one or next time friends and family offer to help put them to work.

Consider a side car cot - it's less effort to get bub at night for feeds but not quite cosleeping. You can diy with a second hand cot that has a removable side, just find a way of securing it to your bed and use a pool noodle for the gap.

Get as many things for during the day that you can pop baby in for a break - bouncers, activity centres, jolly jumpers etc. gumtree is pretty good for cheap second hand stuff.

Hang in there and Mark some points on the calendar as goals to count down to and think of some rewards for yourself.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (11-01-2016),gingermillie  (08-12-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (08-12-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (08-12-2015),nh2489  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some great advice everyone thank you ๐Ÿ˜€
    I have no help from family and DH is around on weekends and great with taking over but during the week it's just me. I used to wear her in a wrap but in Adelaide it's now ridiculously hot and she's decided she doesn't like sleeping on me anymore ๐Ÿ˜ข she sleeps only 25-30 minutes in pram or car so long walks and drives don't help her ๐Ÿ˜ก
    I'm living in the spare room with her but need to move her out by xmas day as BIL is coming to stay for 2 weeks so the overnight feeds aren't too arduous at the moment in that she's just at the end of the bed. Don't want her in main bedroom with me and DH together as I think he'd keep her awake all night she's a light sleeper. If things are still hard after BIL goes I might go back into the spare room with her but maybe she'll love being in her own room. I hope!
    I think I'll experiment with doing longer stretches between day feeds and longer awake time too and write it all down and see how it looks.
    It's just frustrating because I know she can do it - up until a few weeks ago her night sleeps were great and on the weekend she randomly did 2x .1.5hr naps each day. Today she's had 1 x 40 minute and 2 half hour naps I find it quite exhausting.
    Once only I managed to resettle her at night without feeding - she woke at 10:30 I resettled and she slept straight through to 5:30am! So I might try harder to resettle once overnight - she's waking bang on 3hrs after she goes down so that's probably a good one to try.
    Thanks for all the tips and reassurance!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (08-12-2015),nh2489  (08-12-2015)