+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Mod-Nomsie's Avatar
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vic
    Posts
    23,657
    Thanks
    6,899
    Thanked
    7,026
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Can I come and work for you, @GucciDahling? It's amazing you are investing so much into your staff's health and wellbeing!

    Have you thought about providing the option of a standing workstation? Sitting all day long is killing us, and I am starting to see standing workstations more and more often.

    Also, I don't know if it is do-able, but teaming up with a local sports shop and providing some incentive for your staff to invest in exercise gear. I know once I bought my lycras and proper shoes I was much more keen about exercise than just wearing my daggy old trakky daks

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

    TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,316
    Thanks
    1,551
    Thanked
    2,536
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Walking/running groups at lunch time.
    Fresh fruits and veggies.
    No nasties in vending machine (these things are the devil!!)
    And weight watchers meeting at work.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

    TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

  5. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,316
    Thanks
    1,551
    Thanked
    2,536
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh yes! Standing stations are the new thing. All my gf in the city are getting it and I'm green with envy

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,229
    Thanks
    1,043
    Thanked
    788
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    You reminded me of mental health! Thank you!
    We have an EAP who provides staff and their immediate families (including children) with 6 sessions of counselling with a psychologist every year. Possibly more if required.

    I was thinking of giving everyone 30 mins a day, paid, either in a single block or in up to 3 blocks, for exercise and time away from their desks but I'm not sure about how that will impact productivity and whether it's overkill.
    I don't want to force people but I do want to give opportunities.
    Glad to hear there is an EAP! It's often underutilised, but so important.

    Re: 30 min for exercise - maybe if you did it as an organised class through the office with a PT/yoga instructor/pilates instructor rather than independent, it may be more effective.

    Many people in my office walk or run in their lunch breaks. But, we have a really scenic environment, so it definitely encourages them to get out.

    Oh... what about meditation or guided relaxation sessions? They would only need to be short.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

    TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

  8. #15
    TheGooch's Avatar
    TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4,770
    Thanks
    7,983
    Thanked
    4,118
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Can I come and work for you, @GucciDahling? It's amazing you are investing so much into your staff's health and wellbeing!

    Have you thought about providing the option of a standing workstation? Sitting all day long is killing us, and I am starting to see standing workstations more and more often.

    Also, I don't know if it is do-able, but teaming up with a local sports shop and providing some incentive for your staff to invest in exercise gear. I know once I bought my lycras and proper shoes I was much more keen about exercise than just wearing my daggy old trakky daks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Oh yes! Standing stations are the new thing. All my gf in the city are getting it and I'm green with envy
    I forgot about stand up desks! We have one in each office that people can spend time at.
    We've had them for about 3 years! I can't believe we might actually be ahead of the game here!
    @Mod-Nomsie I can't afford you but would love to have you!

    I have to admit part of this is self indulgent. I spend most of my day at my desk. Now I have my own printer, I don't even get up to print or scan things! I've put on 15kgs in the last 12 months - and that's AFTER having DS.
    I watch the staff in my office eating take away every day, lots of ciggie breaks (that was me 2 years ago), looking tired, getting headaches, getting bigger. And I'm not judging. It makes me sad. They spend their entire working lives helping people, working with the most vulnerable people in our communities and it might kill them.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Nomsie  (08-12-2015)

  10. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    2,294
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Making a workplace healthier

    The things we had / used to have at work were above but i'll repeat so you get an idea of what's common:
    Subsidised gym membership
    Confidential counselling services
    Massages (we got this once, it was awesome)
    Bike storage (my favourite)
    Showers for those who ride / walk to work (my other favourite)
    Fruit bowl
    Sponsorship of fundraising events involving exercise (fun runs, etc)

    However, we did have drinks once a week with lots of alcohol and nibbles (chips, cheese, dips, chocolate); most meetings that were catered involved lots of unhealthy food; we had birthday cakes each month; we were told to have a work life balance but given deliverables and deadlines which were not conducive meaning there were lots of very stressed people in the office.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

  12. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    205
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    The things we had / used to have at work were above but i'll repeat so you get an idea of what's common:
    Subsidised gym membership
    Confidential counselling services
    Massages (we got this once, it was awesome)
    Bike storage (my favourite)
    Showers for those who ride / walk to work (my other favourite)
    Fruit bowl
    Sponsorship of fundraising events involving exercise (fun runs, etc)

    However, we did have drinks once a week with lots of alcohol and nibbles (chips, cheese, dips, chocolate); most meetings that were catered involved lots of unhealthy food; we had birthday cakes each month; we were told to have a work life balance but given deliverables and deadlines which were not conducive meaning there were lots of very stressed people in the office.
    Not saying this is OP's intention at all - but makes you wonder if the company was just doing it to make themselves look good, instead of actually caring about their employee's well-being.

    Could look at making sure catered meetings involve healthy options and replacing some of the after-works drinks events with something that is alcohol-free with healthy snacks etc.

  13. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,040
    Thanks
    2,294
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Not saying this is OP's intention at all - but makes you wonder if the company was just doing it to make themselves look good, instead of actually caring about their employee's well-being.

    Could look at making sure catered meetings involve healthy options and replacing some of the after-works drinks events with something that is alcohol-free with healthy snacks etc.
    Oh I know!!!! The irony of it all was not lost on me.

    The OP sounds genuine though

  14. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,754
    Thanks
    480
    Thanked
    431
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have heard of walking meetings, so instead of sitting at a desk you go outside and walk and talk. Possibly only useful for small meetings.
    I have this dream to start a company that sets up vegetable gardens in offices/ workplaces. So the employees could take time out of their day to garden, and then when they harvest the vegetables they could take them home to eat. I find gardening very relaxing/ therapeutic, but not sure that everyone else does.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
ProSwim
ProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months (Oct-Mar). Our indoor centre at Plympton Park has lessons all year round, including school holidays.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!