+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Can I come and work for you, @GucciDahling? It's amazing you are investing so much into your staff's health and wellbeing!

Have you thought about providing the option of a standing workstation? Sitting all day long is killing us, and I am starting to see standing workstations more and more often.

Also, I don't know if it is do-able, but teaming up with a local sports shop and providing some incentive for your staff to invest in exercise gear. I know once I bought my lycras and proper shoes I was much more keen about exercise than just wearing my daggy old trakky daks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Walking/running groups at lunch time.
    Fresh fruits and veggies.
    No nasties in vending machine (these things are the devil!!)
    And weight watchers meeting at work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh yes! Standing stations are the new thing. All my gf in the city are getting it and I'm green with envy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    You reminded me of mental health! Thank you!
    We have an EAP who provides staff and their immediate families (including children) with 6 sessions of counselling with a psychologist every year. Possibly more if required.

I was thinking of giving everyone 30 mins a day, paid, either in a single block or in up to 3 blocks, for exercise and time away from their desks but I'm not sure about how that will impact productivity and whether it's overkill.
    I don't want to force people but I do want to give opportunities.
    Glad to hear there is an EAP! It's often underutilised, but so important.

Re: 30 min for exercise - maybe if you did it as an organised class through the office with a PT/yoga instructor/pilates instructor rather than independent, it may be more effective.

Many people in my office walk or run in their lunch breaks. But, we have a really scenic environment, so it definitely encourages them to get out.

Oh... what about meditation or guided relaxation sessions? They would only need to be short.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Can I come and work for you, @GucciDahling? It's amazing you are investing so much into your staff's health and wellbeing!

Have you thought about providing the option of a standing workstation? Sitting all day long is killing us, and I am starting to see standing workstations more and more often.

Also, I don't know if it is do-able, but teaming up with a local sports shop and providing some incentive for your staff to invest in exercise gear. I know once I bought my lycras and proper shoes I was much more keen about exercise than just wearing my daggy old trakky daks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Oh yes! Standing stations are the new thing. All my gf in the city are getting it and I'm green with envy
    I forgot about stand up desks! We have one in each office that people can spend time at.
    We've had them for about 3 years! I can't believe we might actually be ahead of the game here!
    @Mod-Nomsie I can't afford you but would love to have you!

I have to admit part of this is self indulgent. I spend most of my day at my desk. Now I have my own printer, I don't even get up to print or scan things! I've put on 15kgs in the last 12 months - and that's AFTER having DS.
    I watch the staff in my office eating take away every day, lots of ciggie breaks (that was me 2 years ago), looking tired, getting headaches, getting bigger. And I'm not judging. It makes me sad. They spend their entire working lives helping people, working with the most vulnerable people in our communities and it might kill them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Making a workplace healthier

The things we had / used to have at work were above but i'll repeat so you get an idea of what's common:
    Subsidised gym membership
    Confidential counselling services
    Massages (we got this once, it was awesome)
    Bike storage (my favourite)
    Showers for those who ride / walk to work (my other favourite)
    Fruit bowl
    Sponsorship of fundraising events involving exercise (fun runs, etc)

However, we did have drinks once a week with lots of alcohol and nibbles (chips, cheese, dips, chocolate); most meetings that were catered involved lots of unhealthy food; we had birthday cakes each month; we were told to have a work life balance but given deliverables and deadlines which were not conducive meaning there were lots of very stressed people in the office.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    The things we had / used to have at work were above but i'll repeat so you get an idea of what's common:
    Subsidised gym membership
    Confidential counselling services
    Massages (we got this once, it was awesome)
    Bike storage (my favourite)
    Showers for those who ride / walk to work (my other favourite)
    Fruit bowl
    Sponsorship of fundraising events involving exercise (fun runs, etc)

However, we did have drinks once a week with lots of alcohol and nibbles (chips, cheese, dips, chocolate); most meetings that were catered involved lots of unhealthy food; we had birthday cakes each month; we were told to have a work life balance but given deliverables and deadlines which were not conducive meaning there were lots of very stressed people in the office.
    Not saying this is OP's intention at all - but makes you wonder if the company was just doing it to make themselves look good, instead of actually caring about their employee's well-being.

Could look at making sure catered meetings involve healthy options and replacing some of the after-works drinks events with something that is alcohol-free with healthy snacks etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Not saying this is OP's intention at all - but makes you wonder if the company was just doing it to make themselves look good, instead of actually caring about their employee's well-being.

Could look at making sure catered meetings involve healthy options and replacing some of the after-works drinks events with something that is alcohol-free with healthy snacks etc.
    Oh I know!!!! The irony of it all was not lost on me.

The OP sounds genuine though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have heard of walking meetings, so instead of sitting at a desk you go outside and walk and talk. Possibly only useful for small meetings.
    I have this dream to start a company that sets up vegetable gardens in offices/ workplaces. So the employees could take time out of their day to garden, and then when they harvest the vegetables they could take them home to eat. I find gardening very relaxing/ therapeutic, but not sure that everyone else does.