+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any chance I could BreastFeed ??

Hi Ladies,

I was wondering if anyone has ideas if I'll be able to breastfeed ??
    I'm now 34 + 4 weeks and having C section on 29 th December.

When I was 18 I had a full breast reconstruction. In that operation both my nipples where cut off, and re stitched on. My plastic surgeon at the time said I would never breast feed. Of course at the time I did not careless.

A few years ago, I had both my nipples pierced, with a standard barbell horizontal through both. I got rid of them a few months later.

Anyone have any ideas, if it's worth trying ?? Or had any experiences with this type of issue ?

Many thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think it would depend if your nipples were reconnected right? Do you have any medical notes from your surgery?

I hope you are able to. Breastfeeding is magical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    I think it would depend if your nipples were reconnected right? Do you have any medical notes from your surgery?

I hope you are able to. Breastfeeding is magical.
    I agree with getting notes if you can.

If you can do that (or even without them) go see a lactation consultant.

I know sometimes its possible and sometimes it is not. I do think it is where the implants are situated as well.

So, in conclusion I don't know. I would try if I were in your position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would start trying to express and stimulate colostrum. I had to do this from 34 weeks due to GD. I would express for 5 min every evening and collect into a syringe. If you can't BF you still might be able to express. Just see how you go. Breastfeeding or not, it will be ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I would start trying to express and stimulate colostrum. I had to do this from 34 weeks due to GD. I would express for 5 min every evening and collect into a syringe. If you can't BF you still might be able to express. Just see how you go. Breastfeeding or not, it will be ok.
    Woah! Caution! @francesthecat check with your midwife and OB before doing any nipple stimulation as it can bring on labour and I can't remember how far along you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Here's what the ABA says: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...breast-surgery

See a lactation consultant for advice it apparently is possible!! Win!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Woah! Caution! @francesthecat check with your midwife and OB before doing any nipple stimulation as it can bring on labour and I can't remember how far along you are.
    Its recommended for many women who have BF issues and also those with GD to express before full term.

Unless there has been signs of early labour then it should not be a concern. Also the OP is over 34 weeks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyla  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Its recommended for many women who have BF issues and also those with GD to express before full term.

Unless there has been signs of early labour then it should not be a concern. Also the OP is over 34 weeks.
    Sure but this baby is super precious. I leaked colostrum from 15 weeks so in my case a lot of tweaking in my third Tri had zero effect on me but I imagine Frances is pretty risk averse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't answer about the surgery but I have fed 3 boys successfully after having both nipples pierced for many years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I will say though, to give it a good go, feed on demand. If there's anything coming out then the best way to ensure a good supply is to feed on demand which is pretty much round the clock in the first few weeks. Don't take advice on breastfeeding unless it's from a lactation consultant and definitely don't let anyone tell you to introduce a routine or feed less frequently.

Breastfeeding can take some work to get used to it but once you get past the first few months it's magical and it's extra wonderful if you get into a good groove to have your body perform as it's supposed to especially if you've had a hard run to the pregnancy and birth. At least that's been the joy of it for me. No doctors or intervention required. I really wish that for you.