Christmas Food! | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christmas Food!

What's on your plate this silly season? I love food. Eating it. Looking at it. Talking about it. Eating it...
    I know it's early days still, but thought I'd start a thread just for Christmas/ holiday food. I, for example, need some ideas about what to bring to the family Christmas lunch.
    What are you planning on cooking? Or if you're going out, please share what you'll be having and pics pics pics!
    I'll bump closer to Christmas day if need be as I'm sure we'll have lots of pics and yummy stuff happening but in the meantime, feel free to share your ideas, inspiration and recipes etc!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not cooking anything this year - sister will cook it all.
    But - I might glaze a ham for us to have when we get home. It doesn't feel like Xmas to me if there aren't delicious leftovers!

I think this year I'm going to look for a maple glaze for the ham. Last year was orange and mustard. Any suggestions or recipes id love to have them!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Not really for Christmas Day but I'm going to make some foody hamper present type things which will consist of:
    Pistachio and craisin shortbread
    Chocolate peanut butter fudge
    Strawberry vanilla jam
    Rum balls

We're (hopefully, if blood tests are good!) having an evening meal at the farm with DH's family and am going to do a roast chicken with a pistachio stuffing (I kinda love pistachios) a maple glazed ham, some smoked salmon and prawns and a couple of salads - not sure what at this stage.
    Dessert I'm not sure!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm just finishing my menu but am still open to ideas! I'm hosting xmas dinner /bbq with my 2 SIL and their families but have breakfast at my sisters and lunch at mum and dads so I need easy food with easy prep or that I can do the night before!

Starters - prawn and avocado crostini
    Salad - fig and beetroot salad with goats cheese dressing ( just found this recipe and will test next week!)
    Bbq baby octopus
    Bbq garlic lime butter king prawns
    BBQ greek style lamb cutlets with tzatiki
    Roasted greek style lemon and oregano baby potatoes and green beans
    Xmas wreath pavlova
    Drink - white sangria

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. I'm hosting Xmas day with my dad, bro and step mum and a late Xmas do a few days later with PIL, SIL and MIL's parents and I'm so totally uninspired.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I generally do sweets or salads when we go to (our many, many) different Christmas lunches. Shortbread is a must. I get in trouble if I don't. The year before last I did a strawberry chocolate cheesecake for a couple of them. This year I've promised choc peanut butter cheesecake. Standard salads for me are either my potato salad or a rocket, roasted sweet potato and feta salad. But... last night I had an amazing salad - cucumber, grapes, pomegranate, goats cheese, pistachios, mint. I just need to figure out the dressing.

I've also done cranberry and white choc "snowballs", and fruit mince cheesecake tartlets which get great reviews.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I dig the traditional UK bloaty lunch.

So turkey with homemade stuffing,roast veg, gravy etc. and this year I'm going to attempt mince pies from scratch to serve with good old effing amazing thermy custard. I'm going to try ferrero rocher ice cream too, I think.

On Boxing Day we always have leftovers but also plain potato crisps, cheese, Branston pickle, and dammit I love those vanilla cigar wafer things. There will be trouble if I don't receive any for Christmas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's just dh, dd, my parents, and I for a simple Christmas lunch this year. We're planning bbq salmon, baby potatoes and asparagus salad, antipasto platters, and homemade yoghurt cheese. Cheesecake for dessert.

Boxing Day will be our bigger family Christmas. Baked ham, cold prawns, a range of salads, and traditional Christmas pudding with brandy cream.

I can't wait!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love how varied and diverse everyone's food is! Loving that I am already inspired! @Tiny Dancer do you mind sharing your recipe for your sweet potato and feta salad? @Elijahs Mum I LOVE figs! My nanna used to have a fig tree and they remind me of my childhood 😃

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Got inspired very quickly. For Xmas day we've decided on
    Whole prawns with butter, parsley and garlic on the BBQ
    Roast duck with orange and rosemary
    Honey and mustard glazed ham (with the obligatory criss cross and studded with cloves)
    Roasted potatoes, roasted broccoli, and some sort of substantial salad.
    Not sure about dessert. I usually go down the traditional path but I think I'll whip out my Women's Weekly retro baking book and make something out of that.

IL's Xmas do will be lemon and oregano lamb shoulder on the barbie, American style pork ribs, something green and rather than dessert, set out a tarted up fruit platter, fancy stinky cheeses and all the bits that go with that.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-12-2015)