+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for all the tips ladies
    Keep them coming 😀😬😁
    I love the bonds wondersuits I've bought lots already and intend on buying lots more.
    What about things to do before bubs comes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I know I'm going to sound like a bit of an ABA traitor but while they're a great resource that should be supported, they're purely voluntary and sometimes the helpline is not so good.
    I feel like your best bet is a really good, private lactation consultant and some kellymom.
    Breastfeeding is hard work but it's like anything - you need the right support and info to have any chance of success.
    Traitor! (Lolololol).

Honestly, I never called the ABA but their website has great resources and links (a few are to kellymom who is fabulous) and I used that lots.

My hospital (private) had a LC that helped all new mums as part of their stay. In hospital you can request a LC contact number etc I should imagine. It can be worth it especially for 1st time mums.

As for advice. Ask for help. Have lots of snacks and drinks ready if BF because you are always parched and starving.

Babies do not follow books.

Don't stress about what you are doing 'wrong'.

You cannot spoil them with cuddles, kisses, rocking to sleep etc.

Get some great tv/movies sorted now. If you BF you spend lots of time on the couch etc - I caught up on lots of tv shows in that time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    my sister said lansinoh is a lifesaver, ditto for hydrogel boob discs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default FTM advice

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Lansinoh. That's all you need to worry about 😂😂. No really, take it to hospital in your bag you will likely need it from day 1.

All the responses on here are good. I'd probably add that if you have any control freak/perfectionist tendencies (I do), try to remind yourself that you can't possibly prepare for everything. Your little bundle of joy will teach you so much in those first days/weeks (and forever thereafter), just remember the most important thing is mum and bub and everything and everyone else can wait.

And have a good support network around you - husband, trusted friends & family, trusted health professionals etc. you will get more conflicting advice than ever before and in your sleep deprived, hormonal state you may get a little overwhelmed. Having others around you can call upon is really valuable.
    from one control freak to another, thankyou! 😂😂

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    Thanks for all the tips ladies
    Keep them coming 😀😬😁
    I love the bonds wondersuits I've bought lots already and intend on buying lots more.
    What about things to do before bubs comes
    Before bubs comes (this is also a reminder to myself 😂):

Wash all your newborn clothes and store them in sizes. I had piles in the cupboard from 0000-1 from all the gifts! Handy to divide into winter/summer too.

Invest in old-school basic nappy cloths. Not for using as nappies but great for so many things - spills, spews, baby boys that wee in the air every time you remove their nappy... You get the idea!

Stock up the freezer and pantry. Easy to eat/prepare food.

Buy a pack of cheap comfy undies for post-birth (Prob a size larger than pre-Preg) and maternity pads. You may even want to throw these undies away so nothing fancy!

Pack your hospital bag! You never know how early bubs might make an appearance. Include some healthy snacks.

Set up a feeding station in front of your TV at home. First few weeks all your feeds will likely be done there (as apposed to nursery).

Go to the movies with your partner. It will likely be a long time before you get that opportunity again!

Invest in some tops you can easily breastfeed in. This need not be special breastfeeding tops. Tops that are easily unbuttoned, wrap style, loose blouses or kimonos to wear over breastfeeding singlets etc. ditto for sleepwear (I have my eye on a Peter Alexander maternity nightie!). Size wise maybe one size larger than normal, but some makes are big so use your judgement. You'll shrink very quickly in the first few weeks post birth (except boobs!).

Get your hair done, and mani/pedi if you like to.

Catch up with your close friends, you will have less time for them in coming months.

Oh and enjoy sleeping as much as poss! 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    good point re sleep. I woke up last night as it was hot and I just lay there trying to get back to sleep.

it struck me that this might be a very limited luxury in about 3 months time. I started to panic at the prospect of being woken up during the night by something that NEEDS your attention. you can't just roll over and try and go back to sleep. like that's NOT AN OPTION. you have to get up. no matter how many times it takes.

this really freaked me out. then I remembered I won't be going to work the next day and I felt a bit better 😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Before bubs comes (this is also a reminder to myself 😂):

Wash all your newborn clothes and store them in sizes. I had piles in the cupboard from 0000-1 from all the gifts! Handy to divide into winter/summer too.

Invest in old-school basic nappy cloths. Not for using as nappies but great for so many things - spills, spews, baby boys that wee in the air every time you remove their nappy... You get the idea!

Stock up the freezer and pantry. Easy to eat/prepare food.

Buy a pack of cheap comfy undies for post-birth (Prob a size larger than pre-Preg) and maternity pads. You may even want to throw these undies away so nothing fancy!

Pack your hospital bag! You never know how early bubs might make an appearance. Include some healthy snacks.

Set up a feeding station in front of your TV at home. First few weeks all your feeds will likely be done there (as apposed to nursery).

Go to the movies with your partner. It will likely be a long time before you get that opportunity again!

Invest in some tops you can easily breastfeed in. This need not be special breastfeeding tops. Tops that are easily unbuttoned, wrap style, loose blouses or kimonos to wear over breastfeeding singlets etc. ditto for sleepwear (I have my eye on a Peter Alexander maternity nightie!). Size wise maybe one size larger than normal, but some makes are big so use your judgement. You'll shrink very quickly in the first few weeks post birth (except boobs!).

Get your hair done, and mani/pedi if you like to.

Catch up with your close friends, you will have less time for them in coming months.

Oh and enjoy sleeping as much as poss! 😂
    Love them all thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    good point re sleep. I woke up last night as it was hot and I just lay there trying to get back to sleep.

it struck me that this might be a very limited luxury in about 3 months time. I started to panic at the prospect of being woken up during the night by something that NEEDS your attention. you can't just roll over and try and go back to sleep. like that's NOT AN OPTION. you have to get up. no matter how many times it takes.

this really freaked me out. then I remembered I won't be going to work the next day and I felt a bit better 😂😂
    I do the same thing hahaa Not going to work the next day makes me feel a little better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    I do the same thing hahaa Not going to work the next day makes me feel a little better
    not going to work cures all ills 😂😂

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh yeah, the advice on the old nappies for spew rags. Brilliant!! So much stuff I have forgotten lol.