Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Hi OP I have a 5 month old DD so this stuff is all so fresh in my mind. This is what I wish I knew/did differently. I'm sorry if this is too much!
    Learn about appropriate awake times for babies, learn about tired signs and overtiredness, learn about settling techniques and get your head around overstimulation. Having this info would have helped me soooo much when I was drowning with DD in the first 3 months.
    Download a white noise app. I use sleepy sounds and sound sleeper.
    Practical clothes. DD is now 5 months and I detest anything that rides up so she lives in rompers, bodysuits, onesies lol. Don't waste your time and money on singlets. Bodysuits all the way!
    Don't buy too many nappies wipes bath products. You don't know what size bub will be or what might irritate their delicate skin! Babies don't need soap water is just fine for a very long time.
    Don't buy too many clothes. My July baby was a month early and 2.6kg in 00000 for 5 weeks then 0000 for 10 weeks. I had bought up big on the 000 and 00 winter clothes which are wrong season so won't get used.
    Shower with bub once they're 1-2 months old so much easier than bathing and our DD loves it so much!
    A change wallet is a great investment!
    Ergo baby wrap saved me in the first 3 months with a reflux baby who screamed.all.day.
    Milestone blocks! How I kick myself only learning about these things of cuteness when she was 4 months old lol.
    The nose frida nose sucker will gross you out and make you praise your lord when LO gets their first cold.
    See if bub will accept a sleeping bag early on (one where arms can be in or out later). Learning the hard way now that they get very used to being wrapped.
    If you are breastfeeding and would like LO to take a bottle of ebm let your bf establish but don't leave it too late. My DD would take a bottle but we stopped and now absolutely stubbornly refuses the 1000 bottles I have bought and tried 😁
    If something isn't working don't be afraid to change it up. My DD hated the pram and car seat. I bought new ones (pram that faced me and less bulky car seat) and problem solved. Went through 4 months of tears before that.
    I did a massive freezer cook 2 weeks before DD was born. Really saved us as I was in hospital 10 days and DD 2 weeks. Not worrying about food for a few weeks made a big difference.
    Cuddle your new baby, take heaps and heaps of photos, let them fall asleep in your arms, kiss their sleepy cheeks. Soak up those first few weeks of amazingness. You'll only be a FTM once so try and soak it in even when it gets chaotic. Babies are little people not robots I remind myself of this all the time.
    I wish I'd seen this article when DD was about 7 weeks old:
    https://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic...baby-to-sleep/
    This is great advice and a really helpful article.

I would only add that some babies DO have health probs related to feeding eg CMPI that needs to be addressed early, so make sure you have access to a good paediatrician just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @turquoisecoast my milk didn't come in at all with DD1 so I was unknowingly starving the poor little blighter. When we took her to the hospital for a check up at about 2 weeks, once the doctor checked her over and said you know it's ok to formula feed the baby, we sped to the supermarket and got some formula, and never looked back. I felt so guilty but it wasn't until I tried a breast pump and sat there for 45 mins and got less than 5 ml that I knew something was up

With DD2 my milk came in about 2/3 days later and I wish I had attempted it for longer, but because I was scared about what happened with DD1, I put DD2 on formula at 1 week.

This time, providing that the birth isn't as traumatic as DD1's, I will be giving breastfeeding a good crack
    Last edited by Marchbundle; 07-12-2015 at 10:10.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Possie7  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lansinoh. That's all you need to worry about 😂😂. No really, take it to hospital in your bag you will likely need it from day 1.

All the responses on here are good. I'd probably add that if you have any control freak/perfectionist tendencies (I do), try to remind yourself that you can't possibly prepare for everything. Your little bundle of joy will teach you so much in those first days/weeks (and forever thereafter), just remember the most important thing is mum and bub and everything and everyone else can wait.

And have a good support network around you - husband, trusted friends & family, trusted health professionals etc. you will get more conflicting advice than ever before and in your sleep deprived, hormonal state you may get a little overwhelmed. Having others around you can call upon is really valuable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Lansinoh. That's all you need to worry about 😂😂. No really, take it to hospital in your bag you will likely need it from day 1.

All the responses on here are good. I'd probably add that if you have any control freak/perfectionist tendencies (I do), try to remind yourself that you can't possibly prepare for everything. Your little bundle of joy will teach you so much in those first days/weeks (and forever thereafter), just remember the most important thing is mum and bub and everything and everyone else can wait.

And have a good support network around you - husband, trusted friends & family, trusted health professionals etc. you will get more conflicting advice than ever before and in your sleep deprived, hormonal state you may get a little overwhelmed. Having others around you can call upon is really valuable.
    Great advice! Which made me think of 2 more things lol
    - hydrogel breast discs. OMG they are the bomb. I forgot I had a pack in my bag in hospital and was struggling with some bad nipple grazes/bruising. When I finally put these on within an hour they were feeling better and the difference in 24hrs was amazing.
    - I'm a control freak (so is DH) and that's probably the hardest thing I've found - can't control a baby 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

Great advice! Which made me think of 2 more things lol
    - hydrogel breast discs. OMG they are the bomb. I forgot I had a pack in my bag in hospital and was struggling with some bad nipple grazes/bruising. When I finally put these on within an hour they were feeling better and the difference in 24hrs was amazing.
    - I'm a control freak (so is DH) and that's probably the hardest thing I've found - can't control a baby 😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and zip wonder suits! Yhe bonds ones unzip from the bottom and make changing nappies so easy! Don't bother with the press stud ones, they are such a pain in the butt! The bonds ones are super duper big sizing though!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just packed a whole heap of brand new tops, pants and shorts to send to the salvos that we were given, they would fit dd2 but I only use onesies at this early age. They are completely impractical. The shirts are impossible to stop from riding up and pants are difficult to pull up and down, making nappy changes a pita.