+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default FTM advice

I know this has been done before but it's always nice to have a new thread

If you have any advice, to do's, things to buy or not buy, things to remember please write them below.

thanks ladies 😬

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeharry For This Useful Post:

Possie7  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    following!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Drink ural just after labour (if having a vaginal birth) so it doesn't burn when you pee.

Cut your fingernails really short just before bub is born so you don't accidentally scratch them when changing nappies, dressing them etc (sorry DD!).

We all hear this one and ignore it (well I did) - only get practical clothes for newborns i.e., onesies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do the Australian breastfeeding association course, trust your gut, remember that "this too shall pass", buy a baby carrier (Manduca or Tula), you can't spoil a baby x

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

kbf2plus2  (06-12-2015),Mod-Zeddie  (06-12-2015),Reneeharry  (06-12-2015),TheGooch  (06-12-2015),turquoisecoast  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't feel pressure to BF. It's not the end of the world if you don't. A happy mum and a happy baby is more important

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Louise41 For This Useful Post:

kriista  (07-12-2015),Mamasupial  (06-12-2015),Marchbundle  (06-12-2015),Reneeharry  (06-12-2015),~Marigold~  (07-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP I have a 5 month old DD so this stuff is all so fresh in my mind. This is what I wish I knew/did differently. I'm sorry if this is too much!
    Learn about appropriate awake times for babies, learn about tired signs and overtiredness, learn about settling techniques and get your head around overstimulation. Having this info would have helped me soooo much when I was drowning with DD in the first 3 months.
    Download a white noise app. I use sleepy sounds and sound sleeper.
    Practical clothes. DD is now 5 months and I detest anything that rides up so she lives in rompers, bodysuits, onesies lol. Don't waste your time and money on singlets. Bodysuits all the way!
    Don't buy too many nappies wipes bath products. You don't know what size bub will be or what might irritate their delicate skin! Babies don't need soap water is just fine for a very long time.
    Don't buy too many clothes. My July baby was a month early and 2.6kg in 00000 for 5 weeks then 0000 for 10 weeks. I had bought up big on the 000 and 00 winter clothes which are wrong season so won't get used.
    Shower with bub once they're 1-2 months old so much easier than bathing and our DD loves it so much!
    A change wallet is a great investment!
    Ergo baby wrap saved me in the first 3 months with a reflux baby who screamed.all.day.
    Milestone blocks! How I kick myself only learning about these things of cuteness when she was 4 months old lol.
    The nose frida nose sucker will gross you out and make you praise your lord when LO gets their first cold.
    See if bub will accept a sleeping bag early on (one where arms can be in or out later). Learning the hard way now that they get very used to being wrapped.
    If you are breastfeeding and would like LO to take a bottle of ebm let your bf establish but don't leave it too late. My DD would take a bottle but we stopped and now absolutely stubbornly refuses the 1000 bottles I have bought and tried 😁
    If something isn't working don't be afraid to change it up. My DD hated the pram and car seat. I bought new ones (pram that faced me and less bulky car seat) and problem solved. Went through 4 months of tears before that.
    I did a massive freezer cook 2 weeks before DD was born. Really saved us as I was in hospital 10 days and DD 2 weeks. Not worrying about food for a few weeks made a big difference.
    Cuddle your new baby, take heaps and heaps of photos, let them fall asleep in your arms, kiss their sleepy cheeks. Soak up those first few weeks of amazingness. You'll only be a FTM once so try and soak it in even when it gets chaotic. Babies are little people not robots I remind myself of this all the time.
    I wish I'd seen this article when DD was about 7 weeks old:
    https://www.babydoc.com.au/faq/colic...baby-to-sleep/

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (06-12-2015),LaceyGracie  (06-12-2015),Marchbundle  (06-12-2015),Reneeharry  (06-12-2015),shoveover  (06-12-2015),turquoisecoast  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second everything that gingermillie has said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    fab post @gingermillie, thanks! where would we learn more about what you said in point one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with the flow. Work outs what important to you. If you aren't stressed about something, don't let people make you stressed about it.

Don't over buy, buy as you need. You'll get given A LOT of stuff. Some which you'll never use.

Keep an open mind about baby wearing. I didn't realise that my baby would want to sleep on me. A good baby carrier was a godsend.

Breastfeeding is hard. Get a Netflix subscription or some DVDs to watch. Make some lactation cookies beforehand and freeze. It does get better.

Get fresh air if you can.

Ask for help. But on your terms. Don't feel comfortable asking for help with baby or cleaning? Ask for food! Someone's dropping around, ask them to pick up some bread/milk.

It's going to be ok. Some days are ****. Some days you might think 'what the hell am I doing, I can't be a parent'. And that's ok. You are doing a great job.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    fab post @gingermillie, thanks! where would we learn more about what you said in point one?
    I went to a day program run by our child health service in SA when bub was 10 weeks old and I was really struggling.
    That link I added is really about overstimulation. There's some good info about tired signs and awake times from ngala in WA: http://www.ngala.com.au/files/files/...d_Sleepers.pdf
    I always thought babies would just sleep when they need to. But babies need help with sleeping and getting them overtired leads to a cascade of awfulness.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (07-12-2015),turquoisecoast  (06-12-2015)