+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,916
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    If your DS was older I'd say sure, he'll take it up again just fine. But at 6 months, a month off breastfeeding is huge, and I really hate to be a negative nelly, but I think you'd have a difficult time convincing him to resume. I could be wrong of course, but they adapt to bottles extremely quickly at that age due to the fact that milk is still their primary food source.

    I'm no expert though, this just comes from breastfeeding DS for 3y10m and DD for 15 months. You learn a thing or two with experience.
    If I stop it'll be at 18 months not now

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,749
    Thanks
    1,221
    Thanked
    3,889
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    If I stop it'll be at 18 months not now
    Ahhh, ok I see that now. That'll teach me for not reading properly! At 18 months it really depends on how keen he is on it. At that age my DS was going great guns at it and probably would've resumed quite happily. My DD however started to reduce feeding after 12 months and was down to one feed at 14 months and then weaned at 15 months. I tried to breastfeed her a week after she weaned (just to test if any interest was there, I had no interest in resuming) and she looked at me like I was a freak and very decisively pushed me away.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Stopping and restarting breastfeeding

    As someone who had to wean twice to do IVF and who would have loved to continue breastfeeding but didn't, the one thing I told myself to make it easier was that I was doing it to give my kids the best opportunity to have a sibling, something I considered a greater gift than extended breastfeeding.

    I never wanted to wean DS1 early as he was supposed to be my last. Sadly at 12 months he didn't want to know me and self weaned.

    Can I ask @ScubaGal why it would only be for 1 month? Or is that just best case scenario? I only ask because I kept feeding DD1 until she was 15 months and then it took me 2.5 years to have another pregnancy. I was also 34.
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-12-2015 at 16:53.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

    Wise Enough  (06-12-2015)

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,916
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    As someone who had to wean twice to do IVF and who would have loved to continue breastfeeding but didn't, the one thing I told myself to make it easier was that I was doing it to give my kids the best opportunity to have a sibling, something I considered a greater gift than extended breastfeeding.

    I never wanted to wean DS1 early as he was supposed to be my last. Sadly at 12 months he didn't want to know me and self weaned.

    Can I ask @ScubaGal why it would only be for 1 month? Or is that just best case scenario? I only ask because I kept feeding DD1 until she was 15 months and then it took me 2.5 years to have another pregnancy. I was also 34.
    Yeah that would be best case scenario. The fact that it could actually take a lot longer is a reason for trying again sooner rather than later.
    Like I said originally my plan was to try again fairly soon - I think before I had DS I might have even thought of trying again at six or nine months (madness!) then it was twelve and now eighteen... Any longer than that and it starts to push the envelope if it isn't easy and we need to do a full stim...

    Ultimately it's not something I really need to worry about right now so I'm not sure why I am, but was mostly just curious because some women who fall pregnant naturally are able to tandem feed and I wondered if there was any way an IVFer could manage it.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,916
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Ahhh, ok I see that now. That'll teach me for not reading properly! At 18 months it really depends on how keen he is on it. At that age my DS was going great guns at it and probably would've resumed quite happily. My DD however started to reduce feeding after 12 months and was down to one feed at 14 months and then weaned at 15 months. I tried to breastfeed her a week after she weaned (just to test if any interest was there, I had no interest in resuming) and she looked at me like I was a freak and very decisively pushed me away.
    This I think I'd be ok with (sad, but ok) because it would be his choice. I just have been reading lately about weaning when they aren't ready and that it can be quite hard on the baby as well as the mum...

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At the beach
    Posts
    10,495
    Thanks
    1,430
    Thanked
    9,005
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    This I think I'd be ok with (sad, but ok) because it would be his choice. I just have been reading lately about weaning when they aren't ready and that it can be quite hard on the baby as well as the mum...
    Completely. DD1 would still probably breastfeed (she's 10). She was a nightmare to wean and she and I were in tears constantly.

    But once she got to 15 months I felt I'd never get back to IVF. I wanted my body back for a month or 2 as well before we went back.

    In the end though weaning was hard we both survived! She flourished and j loved being more than just a pair of breasts to her.

    All I'm saying is even if you do have to wean, and it is hard, it will be ok.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,749
    Thanks
    1,221
    Thanked
    3,889
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    This I think I'd be ok with (sad, but ok) because it would be his choice. I just have been reading lately about weaning when they aren't ready and that it can be quite hard on the baby as well as the mum...
    If you want to make it slightly easier on him, maybe try reducing feeds gradually leading up to 18 months. Night wean if you haven't already, that'll hopefully make him eat more during the day and have a flow on effect. Stopping suddenly would be quite stressful for you both (and painful for your milk ducts!).

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

    ScubaGal  (06-12-2015)

  10. #28
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,749
    Thanks
    1,221
    Thanked
    3,889
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Completely. DD1 would still probably breastfeed (she's 10). She was a nightmare to wean and she and I were in tears constantly.

    But once she got to 15 months I felt I'd never get back to IVF. I wanted my body back for a month or 2 as well before we went back.

    In the end though weaning was hard we both survived! She flourished and j loved being more than just a pair of breasts to her.

    All I'm saying is even if you do have to wean, and it is hard, it will be ok.
    It was similar with my DS. He loved breastfeeding. He was just two months off turning 4 when he weaned and he asked for it for weeks after. It was gut wrenching seeing the forlorn look on his face when I said no. The biggest, saddest puppy dog eyes you've ever seen But I had had enough after nearly 4 years!

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    3,267
    Thanks
    1,892
    Thanked
    1,916
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    If you want to make it slightly easier on him, maybe try reducing feeds gradually leading up to 18 months. Night wean if you haven't already, that'll hopefully make him eat more during the day and have a flow on effect. Stopping suddenly would be quite stressful for you both (and painful for your milk ducts!).
    Thanks yeah that's good advice. At the moment he still feeds every 2.5-3 hours over night and it's not a huge problem because we co-sleep but I know at some point those will have to go.

    It might all be a moot point anyway because I will have to go back to work sometime in the first half of next year. I wish I could be a SAHM.

    This thread is basically a call for the Waaambulance.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    14,749
    Thanks
    1,221
    Thanked
    3,889
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Thanks yeah that's good advice. At the moment he still feeds every 2.5-3 hours over night and it's not a huge problem because we co-sleep but I know at some point those will have to go.

    It might all be a moot point anyway because I will have to go back to work sometime in the first half of next year. I wish I could be a SAHM.

    This thread is basically a call for the Waaambulance.
    He's still so little, you've got plenty of time to worry about night weaning. I was still cosleeping and feeding overnight with both kids at that age. DS obviously went on way longer, but I night weaned my DD at 12 months and got her sleeping full time in her own bed too. I deliberately waited until 12 months as I didn't want to interfere with natural breastfeeding until she reached 12 months.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Stopping sugar was the answer!
    By Violet85 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2015, 14:39
  2. Stopping at one child
    By MummaJugs3 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 22-06-2015, 21:29
  3. How long does it take for your period to return after stopping breastfeeding?
    By emski72 in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-01-2015, 14:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
sales & new stuffsee all
Be In Blossom
Keen to up the intensity of your exercise after having your baby but unsure how? New physio-led Bootcamp Workshops aim to bridge the gap between low and high intensity training, teaching ways to reduce pelvic floor load in gym and bootcamp settings.
featured supporter
Einsteinz Music
Fun & interactive music classes!
Classes are taught by professional musicians! Children are taught the fundamentals of music: beat, pitch, rhythm and tempo through hands-on experience. Click for more details!!!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!