+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week

Default Stopping and restarting breastfeeding

This is probably wishful thinking but does anyone think it would be possible to restart breastfeeding if you had to stop for a month?

I'm feeling conflicted about planning my next IVF transfer to have bub no2 but I'd have to stop feeding to do it.

I'm fairly sure this is a ridiculous question but if I stopped for a month and got pregnant would it be conceivable that I could restart in order to feed DS1 a bit longer?

Because we can only have kids through IVF I can't wait as long as I'd like to have the next one but I live breastfeeding and my clinic says you have to stop for a month to do a cycle. I've got an incredible supply though so I feel like it wouldn't dry up that quickly...

Clutching at straws I know...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely possible. Though your supply may not quite get back to what it was before. Some people still lactate years after they stop breast feeding. I know I was still lactating months after I stopped feeding ds and when I was already utd with dd

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shoveover For This Useful Post:

ScubaGal  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shoveover View Post
    Definitely possible. Though your supply may not quite get back to what it was before. Some people still lactate years after they stop breast feeding. I know I was still lactating months after I stopped feeding ds and when I was already utd with dd
    Thanks yeah it occurred to me as a possibility reading some other threads about tandem feeding and I just have such a massive supply that I feel like it won't go away quickly.

What about bub though? Do you think a baby would stop and restart? Or once weaned is that it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I always weaned before doing IVF. It was always longer than one month as I have to fully wean to get my cycles back on track. Once they were on track I could then restart IVF. One cycle was at least a month and it took longer than that to be pregnant.

Even with baby #3 the cycle was relatively short and it was still about 2 months after weaning before I was pregnant again.

It may happen more quickly for you but I think you should be prepared for the possibility it takes longer. Depending on the age of your baby recommencing breastfeeding may be difficult.

So much depends on the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I always weaned before doing IVF. It was always longer than one month as I have to fully wean to get my cycles back on track. Once they were on track I could then restart IVF. One cycle was at least a month and it took longer than that to be pregnant.

Even with baby #3 the cycle was relatively short and it was still about 2 months after weaning before I was pregnant again.

It may happen more quickly for you but I think you should be prepared for the possibility it takes longer. Depending on the age of your baby recommencing breastfeeding may be difficult.

So much depends on the baby.
    My cycle restarted at five months even though I'm still feeding every 2.5 hours day and night... I don't even need to make any plans yet really, just thinking it all through I guess.

I just really enjoy the closeness of feeding. More than I thought I would and I feel very strongly about doing the right thing for DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps chat to a lactation consultant?

I think everybody is different so you probably wouldn't know for sure until you tried.

All the best x

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't need your cycle back, they can control it with drugs. I did a cycle for my sister 3 months after DD2s birth. I had stopped BFing then through.

I imagine you would need to pump and dump twice a day to main your supply.

How old is your bubba? How old are you? I don't mean to overstep but are you sure you don't just want to enjoy one bubba for a bit?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Stopping and restarting breastfeeding

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    You don't need your cycle back, they can control it with drugs. I did a cycle for my sister 3 months after DD2s birth. I had stopped BFing then through.

I?
    That depends on the clinic. Admittedly my last IVF cycle was a few years ago but at the clinic I was at you had to have your cycle back.

OP I completely understand where you're coming from. Having to wean my first 2 in order to do more IVF was difficult for me too. My babies were over 1 though so I guess I felt I'd given them 12 months (at least) and also they were so well established on solids recommencing would not have been an option really.

Good luck with your next cycle
    Last edited by Sonja; 06-12-2015 at 06:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    This is probably wishful thinking but does anyone think it would be possible to restart breastfeeding if you had to stop for a month?

I'm feeling conflicted about planning my next IVF transfer to have bub no2 but I'd have to stop feeding to do it.

I'm fairly sure this is a ridiculous question but if I stopped for a month and got pregnant would it be conceivable that I could restart in order to feed DS1 a bit longer?

Because we can only have kids through IVF I can't wait as long as I'd like to have the next one but I live breastfeeding and my clinic says you have to stop for a month to do a cycle. I've got an incredible supply though so I feel like it wouldn't dry up that quickly...

Clutching at straws I know...
    Not me but one of my friends did. She got mastitis and than a golden staff infection in her breast. She was in hospital almost a month and had her milk dried up. Than restart a week or two after she got home. It took 3 months for bub to be fully breastfed again. It can be done but it's bloody hard work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so glad you asked this!

Silly question, but what is the reason you have to stop feeding if your cycle is back? Or is it the meds passing you bubs?

If the latter, maybe you could keep expressing.