+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    From everything I've read it won't cause any further nerve damage (there are certain side effects including patchy numb areas in legs and pins and needles in feet.. These are SIDE EFFECTS and will not necessarily effect you) but because of your existing problems (spine curvature etc) an epidural injection may not even be possible for you or very difficult to administer... If you are already having trouble because of these previous injuries and I'm assuming this is your first Bub?.... You may have issues without some kind of pain medication or anaesthetic/nerve numbing agent and be advised to have something... But I have never given birth myself or have any of these issue apart from a slight curvature of the spine so I really don't know... You should look at some websites about your condition in particular AND ask your midwife/doctor... remember it's better to have lots of opinions than just one... If you do go ahead with an epi or need to have one for any reason don't stress too much... Apparently it doesn't hurt at all when administered and the more I read about them they have a different kind where you don't have to be completely numb, it just kills the pain but you can still shuffle on the bed ect.. And some you can even still walk around and things.. But I think you need speciality care for those...? From talking to my midwife and others the best option for me is to have a very active birth, lots of moving, different positions ect.. Just talk to your midwife about pain relief.. Make sure you tell her about your condition and your fears and she can give you the best advice from a medical stand point...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BitsHead View Post
    From everything I've read it won't cause any further nerve damage (there are certain side effects including patchy numb areas in legs and pins and needles in feet.. These are SIDE EFFECTS and will not necessarily effect you) but because of your existing problems (spine curvature etc) an epidural injection may not even be possible for you or very difficult to administer... If you are already having trouble because of these previous injuries and I'm assuming this is your first Bub?.... You may have issues without some kind of pain medication or anaesthetic/nerve numbing agent and be advised to have something... But I have never given birth myself or have any of these issue apart from a slight curvature of the spine so I really don't know... You should look at some websites about your condition in particular AND ask your midwife/doctor... remember it's better to have lots of opinions than just one... If you do go ahead with an epi or need to have one for any reason don't stress too much... Apparently it doesn't hurt at all when administered and the more I read about them they have a different kind where you don't have to be completely numb, it just kills the pain but you can still shuffle on the bed ect.. And some you can even still walk around and things.. But I think you need speciality care for those...? From talking to my midwife and others the best option for me is to have a very active birth, lots of moving, different positions ect.. Just talk to your midwife about pain relief.. Make sure you tell her about your condition and your fears and she can give you the best advice from a medical stand point...
    Thank you, I will have a word with my ob at my next appointment. Hopefully I can survive labour without the epi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milz00 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the epi will cause more damage to my existing nerve compression?? Does it interfere with it? Should I need an epi do u think it's safe to have one under these circumstances ?
    You really need to have an appointment with the anaesthetics team to discuss. Ask your midwife/doctor to refer you if they haven't already.

Even if you're not planning to have an epidural for labour, it's extremely important that the doctors know what's going on with your spine in case you either change your mind or you need a emergency caesarean.

It's very important that it's known before you go into labour as to whether or not an epidural or spinal is suitable for you. Not a discussion you want to be having in an emergency without access to your past medical history.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

BitsHead  (08-12-2015),Nemmi1987  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    You really need to have an appointment with the anaesthetics team to discuss. Ask your midwife/doctor to refer you if they haven't already.

Even if you're not planning to have an epidural for labour, it's extremely important that the doctors know what's going on with your spine in case you either change your mind or you need a emergency caesarean.

It's very important that it's known before you go into labour as to whether or not an epidural or spinal is suitable for you. Not a discussion you want to be having in an emergency without access to your past medical history.
    thank u. I will def ask if I can speak with the anaesthetics team. do I call the hospital where I'll be delivering or just ask my ob for those details??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Milz00 View Post
    thank u. I will def ask if I can speak with the anaesthetics team. do I call the hospital where I'll be delivering or just ask my ob for those details??
    Talk to your obstetrician, they'll need to do a referral for you.

It's important that everyone (you, your obstetrician and the anaesthetist) finds out now if an epidural or spinal is safe for you so that plans (even if they're not needed) can be made for your labour.
    Last edited by alliecat89; 08-12-2015 at 22:01.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Milz00  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a drug free labour. Found Sara Murdock book "birth skills" to be excellent in coping mechanisms for dealing with the pain. You can pick them up second hand on gumtree for $10-20 so would highly recommend.

I also purchased a Labor tens machine. Unfortunately forgot it and didn't get to use it other than when I had a practice run of attaching it so its brand new (paid $175. Am selling it for $100 if you interested Pm me. I'm located in brisbane).

Best of luck with the birth!

Oh - one other thing - I found Regular pregnancy massages really helped move my baby into position and think this really helped contribute to my labour being very short (3hr 15min) - which was pretty fast for a first labour