+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also terrified of an epidural. I was more worried about this than the pain of childbirth. The midwives knew this from my booking appointment and they never mentioned or offered an epidural to me.

I hired a TENS which was brilliant, I also second the birth skills book. I didn't end up needing anything more than the TENS in the end.

I birthed this way for both my sons, even though the second was posterior and twice as long! It's definitely possible, but I guess things need to go your way on the day as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth plan...? Epidural injections..

Congratulations on your little girl!

I was also terrified of the idea of an epidural. It was the one thing that I told my OB that just could not happen!

Ended up with a spinal block and emergency c section 5 weeks early due to severe pre-eclampsia.

When the day comes you do what you have to do. I completely understand your fear though. I'm pregnant again now and hoping that an anaesthetist is not required for this birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. 29 weeks pregnant and FTM as well and very much looking to avoid an epidural. Im a nurse and unfortunately have seen a few go wrong. They make me nervous and I would rather pain than anxiety. I'm going to buy a TENS machine and use hot water as necessary, I think if you want to have a drug free birth you can absolutely do it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank all of you for all your advice... I suppose it's nothing I didn't already know but it's good to be reassured... I've spoken to a midwife and close friends about it but it's good to hear things from different people who have had the experience.. I'll defiantly be avoiding the epi... 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe you could look in to getting a doula (birth support person) to support you with the decisions you make. The way they try to push drugs on women and take over her birth actually really upsets me. I am from the Rainbow Region, where every second woman works as a professional doula, and drug-free home births are the norm. Both my labours were drug-free, though it was never an option at my local birth centre. They were also quick births, so drugs never even crossed my mind. We need to reclaim birth and take control of our bodies, our babies and the decisions we make around that.

I second the Calmbirth course, a detailed (but not rigid) birth plan and some really good support people. Also, Bellydance for Birth was good for me. Actually, maybe just come to Byron Bay for your pregnancy and birth, you would be so supported here! 😝

You can do this mama! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations! If you want to try labouring drug free then it can be done, however keep an open mind - things don't always go to plan and if you do end up with an epi it's not the end of the world!

I didn't want an epi either before my dd was born. This is just my experience and everyone is different, but - I started off using a TENS machine and didn't find it hugely helpful in regards to pain but operating the machine gave me something else to focus on which was good. Then I had gas which I didn't like at all. It didn't make me sick but it didn't help with the pain either - just makes you so high that the time you have the gas for becomes a blur! I actually asked for an epi before I started the gas but the anaesthetist took over an hour to arrive and I was just about fully dilated when he did get there. I still had the epi + spinal block anyway and it was really good because it totally stopped the pain and gave me a break for about an hour before I had to start pushing. Then it got turned off a bit before I started to push and I didn't have any further pain relief. But I did have the energy to get through the pushing stage which for me ended up not being so straightforward as it ended up being a vacuum assisted delivery.

I was also induced and constantly monitored so I couldn't get up off the bed. I think if I'd gone into labour naturally it would have been different as the contractions wouldn't have come on so quick and strong and I could have been more active, so the circumstances of your birth I think make a difference too.

Good luck. Hope it all goes smoothly and you can have the birth you want - but remember it's ok even if it doesn't go quite the way you imagine!! Does your hospital run any prenatal classes? Ours had a session specifically on pain relief options run by a midwife and an anaesthetist and it was good because any concerns could be raised there. From memory, I think the only drug that really impacts on the baby is pethidine, the others (gas, epi, spinal block) are pretty safe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to besha For This Useful Post:

ilex  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I highly recommend calm birth! I had two drug free labours, first spontaneous and second was induced. My spontaneous (1st baby) was 12 hours and my induction was 1.5 hours. I went in wanting drug free, but open to pain relief if I changed my mind. I was about ready to demand an epi during my induction, but it turns out I was in transition and she was born two contractions later lol. The beauty of calm birth was that we got all the ins and outs of what was happening and my husband got practical tips and ways to help me during labour and we felt so ready when the time came. It was worth every cent, I'd do that course again if I was to have my time over

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can definitely do this if you want to. But as mentioned above, start practicing meditation if you're not already as it really helps with breathing and focus during labour. This is what got me through my 36hr ordeal with ds1, although truth be told I was wishing I'd had an epi by the end of it as things went more than a little pear shaped. Everyone's birthing experience is different. Don't be disappointed if you change your mind or your birthing experience doesn't go to plan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a completely natural drug free labour. I stayed at home until the very end before leaving hospital.
    I was 10cm on arrival but I'm would have to guess and say that I was around 4cm dilated before I realized labour had begun.
    I also had a silent labour- so made no noise. And stood or walked the entire time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still 6 months away from labour but the thought of an epi terrifies me. I really don't want one. I am scared to have an epi bc I have nerve compression in my lumbar and cervical spine along with a curvature spine. I am worried the epi will cause more damage to my already existing pinched nerves and cause permanent paralysis, I know this is all fear based and prob unlikely to happen but I get major anxiety of not having control of my body. These nerve compressions were a result of a car accident 2 years ago, and I have the worst symptoms ( tremors, pins and needles, temporary paralysis, weakness and numbness).

Can anyone tell me if the epi will cause more damage to my existing nerve compression?? Does it interfere with it? Should I need an epi do u think it's safe to have one under these circumstances ?