+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Birth plan...? Epidural injections..

Hi all.. I'm 20 FTM and 20 weeks... Just found out I'm having a little girl!!! ❤️❤️❤️❤️ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1449277857.735846.jpg
    Everything looks good so far but now I'm thinking about the birth.. I really DO NOT want an epidural, I believe I have a reasonably high pain threshold, (if that even matters) and I've read such worrisome things about epidural injections during labour... I know that I can have plain oxygen and another drug (gas form) but I don't know what that is...? At this point I really don't want to have any drug during labour but everyone I've spoken to about it has advised me to get what I can while I can.. I want an active birth with no interference by anything that could even potentially harm my baby... Any thoughts?

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    A drug free birth is definitely do-able! I had one (though at home so easier to avoid drugs). You might want to check out Birth Skills by Juju Sundin which goes through techniques for coping with labour. Also look at doing a course like Calmbirth or Hypnobirthing which help you get into the right mindset and can help consolidate your preferences for labour and birth.

I also love the book Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birth plan...? Epidural injections..

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Lots of people go for the drug free option. It's doable. Whether you want to to do it is entirely up to you! If that's the path you want have a look into TENs machines and mediation / breathing techniques.

My labour (induced) was drug free although not by choice. It hurt. Like nothing I could have imagined, it was horrendous.

If you change your mind in labour that's ok too. Keep an open mind. If you have a very rigid birth plan it may lead to disappointment if your labour turns out differently than you'd planned.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 05-12-2015 at 11:38.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I had gas and air and also a shot of morphine. I'll be avoiding the morphine next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also did not want an epi as I have scoliosis of the spine (curvature) which makes it a little more difficult to inject. DH was under instruction to not allow this. However as I went public they don't encourage intervention anyway and will only give pain relief if you ask for it. As it happened I never felt the need for an epi anyway I did have gas and peth which were enough for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Similar to you, I didn't want an epidural and thought it was doable given my high pain tolerance.

Six hours into an induced (drip) labour and I was begging for one.

Give natural a go, but don't be hard on yourself if you ultimately get one. I beat myself up for a few weeks, but had to stop. Until you are in the throws of labour, you've no idea how you'll go.

Also, I must have had a fab anaesthetist because I didn't feel a thing when he did it and no post delivery issues either. I was up walking in a few hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    out where I am epidurals arent routinely offered except for c-section patients, I am medically not allowed one either way.
    my first born I used the gas and air and hated it, I felt off my head and it sort of helped with the pain but not really,

my second born I used nothing, I was determined not to and Im not going to lie it hurt, he was 9p7 1/2 and posterior but logic says its child birth, it hurts.

I walked out of my second borns on a high, I was amazed at what had just happened and was so, so with it.

both my boys wound up vacuum extraction deliveries due to them not wanting to come out at the last minute but while it hurt I loved my second borns delivery.

every birth is different, I let my midwife know (and support person to) that I was hoping to do it drug free, at one point she asked if I wanted a shot of morphine (I was laying down) which I declined and instead wanted to just get up off the bed (which was an option), the pain meds wont harm your baby but they can make bub drowzy and slow down labour

how it pans out depends on many factors in labour though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Everything has been said already!

You're best friends are Birth Skills book by Juju, a TENS machine, hot water (bath or shower) and positive support around you.

I have many friends who had great drugs free births and I can't wait to have another one.
    Try and Google positive drug free births to read about those experience. It will help shape your mind.

If you find that your friends and community isn't that supportive of drug free options it's best to not engage discussion about it with them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats on your little girl

I consider myself a bit of a sook but went into my 1st Labour with a very open mind. Being at a birth centre, epidural was not available unless I transferred to the hospital.

My birth plan was simply don't offer me gas & air, if I need something ill ask. I had a very calm and quiet water birth, didn't use the gas at all so it can certainly be done with nothing at all.

I had a planned cs with ds as he was footling breech and jeepers, I'm not keen on those epidurals. It was the absolute strangest sensation (but at the same time I was grateful to be awake for his birth)
    Last edited by michellek; 05-12-2015 at 15:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a needle phobia, but also not a fan of pain! I went in to it with the view that I would prefer to no have anything as long as I could, and for the midwives to not ask me, I would tell them if I wanted something. I hate gas and air and morphine. They both make me incredibly giddy and make me feel ill. My labour didn't go all that smoothly, and after 8 hours (2 of pushing), was told I wasn't fully dilated and to stop pushing. Couldn't do it without some pain relief, and while the midwife was pushing me to get an epidural, went for the remifentynal (sp?), and it was amazing. Got me through until I was allowed to push, and I got to rest for a bit.